A.I. (The Movie)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A.I. (The Movie)

I saw A.I. a while ago, but I didn't really know what to think of it. On one hand, I liked it, on the other hand, I didn't really get it.

I ran across an interpretation of it that helps me actually understand what was happening in the movie, and I'm tempted to rent it again. I thought other people may be interested in the interpretation too, since it made everything "click" for me.

So there was this miniseries, Taken, that Steven Spielberg had his name attached to. Talk about Taken, which seems to have been okay but not great, naturally led to talk about the recent film A.I.: Artificial Intelligence. Lots of people seem to think that A.I. was a lousy movie. In at least a few cases, this seems to be due to the fact that they didn't understand the ending of the film. They thought it was a tacked-on happy ending in the grand "Hollywood" style. Let me see if I can clear this up a little.

I'm about to talk about how the movie ends. If you haven't seen it, don't read any further. Go rent it or something, then come back and discuss.

The key to understanding A.I. is to understand the characters. On the one hand, you've got the human characters: Professor Hobby, Monica and Harry Swinton, Martin Swinton, Lord Johnson-Johnson. These characters are all arrogant, selfish, and cruel. Professor Hobby even goes so far as to compare himself to God: "Didn't God make Adam to love Him?" he asks.

The cruelest act in the film, of course, is Monica's abandonment of David in the woods. Her motives are pure-- she knows that if she sends David back to the factory, he will be destroyed, and she doesn't want that to happen-- but she's short-sighted and foolish. Had David been a real boy, he would have grown up and forgotten his family. But as a mecha, he couldn't do that. Programmed to love, he could do nothing else, forever. Monica knew this, intellectually, but she chose to ignore it in order to make her problem go away.

This moment reveals the theme of the film: human beings, despite their best intentions, are cruel, cold, selfish, and arrogant. Hardly what one normally associates with a work by Steven Spielberg.

But if the humans are cruel and selfish, what of the mecha? In this matter, the film takes a strictly literal and scientific approach: mecha are what they are programmed to be, and nothing more. A mecha cannot be cruel unless it is programmed to be. It cannot be selfish unless it is programmed to be. Mecha never grow, neither physically nor emotionally. Programmed to love, a mecha will love without doubt or regret, forever. So the mecha characters are the exact opposite of the human characters: innocent, pure, faithful, constant. When Gigolo Joe, who is little more than an animated sex toy to begin with, is framed for murder at the beginning of the second act, he carries no resentment, no desire for revenge. Compare this to the character of Lord Johnson-Johnson, who destroys mechas for sport and for profit at his Flesh Fair. The contrast is striking, and the message is clear: it is sadly ironic than human beings can be so inhumane.

And now we come to the much-misunderstood ending. In the film's second act, Gigolo Joe speaks a line that provides a key insight into the end of the film: "They made us too smart, too quick, and too many. We are suffering for the mistakes they made because when the end comes, all that will be left is us." He was right. When the end-- both the end of humanity and the literal end of the film-- came, all that was left were mecha. The beings that extracted David from the ice were not aliens, as some have believed. They were mecha of a highly evolved sort. And, like all mecha, they were quite capable of compassion and kindness. They understood David, and his situation. They knew that he had been programmed to love, and could never stop. They knew he could never forget Monica, even though she was long dead.

So they fabricated a fiction for him. The created the illusion of Monica, and allowed him to spend one day with her. Then, after David had finally found the peace he'd always sought, they quietly euthanized him.

I think a lot of people-- particularly a lot of Slashdotters-- were offended by what they perceived as a "happily ever after" ending. Nothing could be further from the truth. A.I. is the most comprehensively misanthropic film in a long time. Even though the human characters were trying to be kind and compassionate, they ended up being cruel. The only true act of kindness in the entire film is performed not by humans, but by mecha.

I consider the film to be a monumental success, one of the all-time great science fiction films. If it can be said to have a flaw, it's that its tragedy is written on too large a canvas for most viewers to immediately appreciate.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Personally, I hated it.
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
    Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Yes yes, David, most people did hate it.

Most people are bright enough not to post in a thread about a movie they hate, also.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

There is one whole in his argument: (although I often find myself agreeing with the writer otherwise) " The beings that extracted David from the ice were not aliens, as some have believed. They were mecha of a highly evolved sort."
        Where is the proof of this??? How could anyone watching this movie POSSIBLY figure this out unaided???
        "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
        Drake Tungsten
        "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
        Albert Speer

Comment

(From the article) "This moment reveals the theme of the film: human beings, despite their best intentions, are cruel, cold, selfish, and arrogant. Hardly what one normally associates with a work by Steven Spielberg."

And if you didn't get it, the "carnival" scene might have clued you in to this subtle point.

Otoh, that's a pretty good review. It put the ending in a new light for me, that is for sure.

Comment

I liked it okay until the last 30 minutes. The ending was so botched, drawn-out and ludicrous it was painful.
            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
              I liked it okay until the last 30 minutes. The ending was so botched, drawn-out and ludicrous it was painful.
              Did you read the article? If so, I take it you disagree with it?

Comment

Uhhhh… did you READ the article, BG?
                Drake Tungsten
                Albert Speer

Comment

I thought the little robot looked too glonky

Comment

Originally posted by monolith94
                    There is one whole in his argument: (although I often find myself agreeing with the writer otherwise) " The beings that extracted David from the ice were not aliens, as some have believed. They were mecha of a highly evolved sort."
                    Where is the proof of this??? How could anyone watching this movie POSSIBLY figure this out unaided???
                    I'm not sure what you're saying...

Are you saying you don't think they were evolved mechs that pulled him out, but some kind of aliens? And further, the alien theory makes much more sense than evolved mech theory?

Comment

Originally posted by GP
                      I thought the little robot looked too glonky
                      It must have been unsettling to find him attractive like that.

Comment

They were mechs.

Comment

Yeah, and it didn't fix the ending for me. It's a convenient explanation, but I doubt it was the original intent. It certainly did not convey to the audience, which means it failed.

They could have left him at the bottom of the ocean, ended it there and I'd have been reasonably happy with it.
                          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

"Are you saying you don't think they were evolved mechs that pulled him out, but some kind of aliens? And further, the alien theory makes much more sense than evolved mech theory? "

Well of course the evolved mecha theory makes sense… but the director can't expect the audience to make the same leap that he does…
                            And it would've helped if you're evolved Mechas didn't look like "Grays", spielberg!
                            Drake Tungsten
                            Albert Speer

Comment

I personally saw it for the first time a few weeks ago (on an HBO channel). Personally I loved it! I enjoyed the interplay between the scared, arrogent humanity and the mechs, who were made only for our benefit and discarded due to our will, trying to get along with their place in the world.

I thought it was magnificent. The destroyed Manhatten was a bit too 'Planet of the Apes' for me, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                              X