No announcement yet.

XP fubared

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's wrong with it? I never really used it before.

Comment

Che: It should be in your Control Panel (if you have it set up the new XP way). Click on "Performance and Maintainance", then on the left hand side, see 'System Restore' and click it.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

It's buggy as ALL hell. It crashes more than Win98 ever did.

XP is heaven by contrast. Very stable.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Well XP seemed to make my games go incredibly slowly. They seem to work much better in ME.

Comment

Originally posted by red_jon
            When did you become so arrogant?
            I've always been arrogant when it comes to computers and I know what I'm talking about. It comes with the territory.

Haven't you seen "Nick Burns" skits on SNL?

No, I haven't tried DOS games but so far I've found a massive improvement in Deus Ex, Sim City 3000 and Red Alert 2.
            Then obviously something wasn't configured right in XP...perhaps you used old drivers or didn't enable DMA on your harddrive or something.

Asher is right. ME does suck. Biggest piece of crap MS ever made, IMO.

All of the decent programmers on the Win9x/Me division were transferred to Windows XP, WinMe was put out for sustained revenue purposes only and is buggy beyond belief...

Aside from the obvious like it being buggy as all hell...
          • The FAT32 file system sucks. NTFS is much better.
          • WinMe lacks protected memory, which means you reboot FAR more and experience FAR more crashes, not only from the OS being buggy but from runaway programs taking down your whole computer
          • WinMe lacks true multitasking, which means a runaway program can totally lock up your computer
          • WinMe's networking code blows, your ping times will be higher
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
            WinMe is a piece of ****.
            Damn!

I have some lying down to do.
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
              Aside from the obvious like it being buggy as all hell...
            • The FAT32 file system sucks. NTFS is much better.
            • WinMe lacks protected memory, which means you reboot FAR more and experience FAR more crashes, not only from the OS being buggy but from runaway programs taking down your whole computer
            • WinMe lacks true multitasking, which means a runaway program can totally lock up your computer
            • WinMe's networking code blows, your ping times will be higher
            • I've noticed the bugs and it had crashed a couple of times, but seeing as it loads around 3 times faster than XP did on my laptop, I'm not too bothered.

I did convert to NTFS, but couldn't see any real difference. Aside from the fact it didn't run scandisk when xp wasn't shut down.
              I did actually get the blue screen of death once in XP - I thought that wasn't meant to happen.

I also rarely play games online.

XP was becoming ridiculously slow - it started taking around 5 seconds to open an IE window. And that was with all the background programs disabled.

Surely that's not right for a laptop 1Ghz with 256mb RAM? But then you did say to me that 256mb is too low for XP. I don't like the fact that it seems to constantly use half the ram.

Isn't it best I use ME?

Comment

And the drivers I used were the latest ones - unfortunately they're all made by sis.

Comment

What the . . . ?!?

Okay, I didn't do anything, and now all of a sudden, XP is working fine as if there had never been a problem. While I'm glad I can now access my email, etc., I'm a little confused and somewhat concerned. What happened? Will it happen again? How do I stop it? Gah!
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Hohoho, Merry Christmas

What happened? Nobody knows for sure. It can be the alignment of the stars or something.
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Ahhh, now I figured it out. Microsoft managed to track down the IP of yet another evil commie!

And about XP working... don't worry, in a few days it'll screw up again, then soon it'll work normal, then... and in a few months they'll have driven you insane.
                    The long list of nonsense

Comment

I have seen that happen before, all versions of Windows do that. It's a Microsoft thing.

Comment

Originally posted by red_jon
                        No, I haven't tried DOS games but so far I've found a massive improvement in Deus Ex, Sim City 3000 and Red Alert 2.
                        Almost every game made more then 1-1.5 years ago was designed to run as a DOS shell in Windows. Win XP no longer uses DOS shells and forces people to use the NT file system instead (NTFS); if a program is designed for NTFS then it will run super fast plus the programers get to use all sorts of new options that DOS never offered.

The down side is NTFS does a terrible job of running programs which were optimized for DOS thus the problems you've experienced...
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

DOS shell? Nope. Most of those games run natively under Windows.

Comment

Most games that run natively under Windows use Win32, which is fully supported under WinXP.

Tell me which games that are designed to run natively under Win95/98/Me and don't work on XP?

It's the games that still do DOS stuff that screw it up.
                            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Working...
                              X