No announcement yet.

XP fubared

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having moved from ME to XP a month ago, I can never, ever, ever imagine going back.
    It is much easier to be critical than to be correct. Benjamin Disraeli

Comment

Really? You figured out how to deal with the NT-esque services and all that stuff?
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

you're right, UR. I completely forgot. I was simply thinking of my problems. I had a worm as well, that closed ZoneAlarm, but only when I tried to log on.
        urgh.NSFW

Comment

I probably will put it back, if it doesn't improve things. But I want to see what it's like.

At the moment even Sim City 3000 is suffering ridiculous slowdown

Comment

WinME was a huge waste of time for me. I imagine my current computer could problably handle it, but since it's not very DOS game friendly and I already have 98, why bother.

Re: reinstalling XP over the current installation. What will this do to my registry? Will I have to reinstall all of my various programs?

UR: I tried to start Norton by hand. That was the first thing I tried to do. First time, nothing. Second time, the browser came up, but no content. I repeated this process twice, same results. Rebooted the machine, same results.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

If you reinstall XP it will wipe your registry. You don't need to reinstall all your programs some really don't need registry information at all, but it is likely that you need to reintall most of your prorgams.

Okay, do you have a system backup somewhere? Maybe you can try to roll back to an earlier day like yesterday.
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Sadly, no, I don't have a back up.

Grrrr.
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Can you access System Restore at all?

This is why it was made, afterall.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

So far ME is running games far better than XP did.

Comment

Originally posted by red_jon
                      So far ME is running games far better than XP did.

If by running, you mean DOS compatibility, then yes...but the smart people create a DOS partition from XP for that.

WinMe is a piece of ****. You'll find out why soon enough.

It's not any faster in terms of game performance, and I could give you all sorts of benchmarks and bore you to tears to back that up.
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Just for fun

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

If by running, you mean DOS compatibility, then yes...but the smart people create a DOS partition from XP for that.

WinMe is a piece of ****. You'll find out why soon enough.

It's not any faster in terms of game performance, and I could give you all sorts of benchmarks and bore you to tears to back that up.
                          When did you become so arrogant?

No, I haven't tried DOS games but so far I've found a massive improvement in Deus Ex, Sim City 3000 and Red Alert 2.

I still own XP, it's not like I can't go back to it if I want to.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                            Can you access System Restore at all?

This is why it was made, afterall.
                            How would I do this?

Comment

Asher is right. ME does suck. Biggest piece of crap MS ever made, IMO.
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                              X