XP fubared

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP fubared

So I try and load up XP this morning. . . . Norton Antivirus isn't working. Some of my icons in the systray are missing, hey, all of my Norton Utilities are missing. . . . Can't connect to the internet. Can't uninstall Norton. When I try to reboot, it feezes.

I didn't change anything yesterday.

Norton Personal Firewall also stopped working on my Win98 partition, but that's due to a known problem, so now I have ZoneAlarmPro running.

What the heck is going on and how do I fix it?

(I'm suspicious that maybe I got hacked through an IIS security flaw.)
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Re: XP fubared

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
    So I try and load up XP this morning. . . . Norton Antivirus isn't working. Some of my icons in the systray are missing, hey, all of my Norton Utilities are missing. . . . Can't connect to the internet. Can't uninstall Norton. When I try to reboot, it feezes.

I didn't change anything yesterday.

Norton Personal Firewall also stopped working on my Win98 partition, but that's due to a known problem, so now I have ZoneAlarmPro running.

What the heck is going on and how do I fix it?

(I'm suspicious that maybe I got hacked through an IIS security flaw.)
    1: Is this Home or Pro?

2: Was this upgraded? You mentioned Win98, was this vanilla Win98 or Win98SE?

3: Are you using the right version of Norton for XP?

4: You are using Zonealarm right now, so what's the big deal. ZA has been proven better.

EDIT: Sorry, typos
    I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

Re: Re: XP fubared

Originally posted by Thrawn05
      1: Is this Home or Pro?

Pro

2: Was this upgraded? You mentioned Win98, was this vanilla Win98 or Win98SE?

I have multiple partitions. WinXP was a clean install back in May.

3: Are you using the right version of Norton for XP?

Norton Utilities 2002, which supports XP.

4: You are using Zonealarm right now, so what's the big deal. ZA has been proven better.

I'm only using it on the Win98 side, and it's only for 24 more days.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I'm suspecting that something else is wrong as well, since I can't bring up my network connections.

Comment

I don't think you got hacked, since odds of that happening are slime to none.

If this is happening accross the board on both Win98(SE?) and XPPro, then I think there is a major setup problem.

mmmm.... I seriously don't know. I'm not good at finding problems when two OSs on the same comp are having the prob. All I think of is a Hardware problem.

Let me ask, have you installed any programs on both XP and 98 at the same time lately?
          I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

I don't think you got hacked, since odds of that happening are slime to none.
            don't be so sure. I've downloaded ZoneAlarm home which is free, and it showed me clearly that some 'suspicious' files are trying to transmit info back. Got me a free AVG anti-virus from the net, and guess what, a worm. I had this hacker going after me for a while now, but I didn't care, since I had nothing on my PC besides windows, and internet.
            urgh.NSFW

Comment

I am messed too, and the virus protects itself form norton by closing it down after 15-20 seconds...

I can't play my games anymore, except with horrible lag and crashes.... i'm very sad now

ppl who make viri should be
              "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
              "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

No idea what happened.
                Reinstall Windows overtop of the existing installation to see if it helps.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Win XP doesn't have built in DOS support like previous versions of windows had. That means if you are trying to run a DOS based program then you will likely run into problems; the best way I found to get around this problem is to do a fresh reformat (back up important files first). install XP, then use XP's utilities to make a DOS partition.

Once you have the new DOS partition you can use it to run any programs with which you have trouble running on XP. I hope this helps.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Trajanus: download a not-well known AV program then.

like AVG. search for it on the web. It's free.
                    (I've had the same thing with the worm. The worm shut down zone alarm, after a few seconds. Well, it's no more. )
                    urgh.NSFW

Comment

(i love that smiley, especially with the christmas hat)

AVG? idd never heard of it...
                      "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie

Comment

Download free antivirus and malware protection. Tune up your PC, Mac, & Android. Encrypt your connection and browse anonymously with a VPN.

( I like that smiley too. )
                        urgh.NSFW

Comment

I'm going back to ME tommorow. Don'ty ask me why, I just feel like it.

Comment

WHOA, holy ****

that AVG prog got rid of the trojan horsie on my computer!!

sweet stuff, i think i will keep it right there on my beloved desktop for everyone to see who saved the life of my computer

Comment

good.
                              urgh.NSFW

Comment

Working...
                              X