Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which of these dictators did more good than bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't thread jack this.

I have one thing to say about Chiang Kai Shek, if he was left control of Mainland China... it is possible the mainland could be as rich GDP per captia wise as Taiwan. The Chinese Nationalists, or Kuomintang really did a lot for Taiwan's economy... making it one of the Asian tigers if I am not mistaken?
    For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Musharaf is by far the best of the bunch. Saved the country from turning to Islamists, and has initiated some minor democratic reforms.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Fez
        I didn't thread jack this.

I have one thing to say about Chiang Kai Shek, if he was left control of Mainland China... it is possible the mainland could be as rich GDP per captia wise as Taiwan. The Chinese Nationalists, or Kuomintang really did a lot for Taiwan's economy... making it one of the Asian tigers if I am not mistaken?
        Yea, but he was rediculously brutal, and Taiwan didn't begin to truly flourish until it brcame more democratic.

Comment

Originally posted by Odin

Yea, but he was rediculously brutal, and Taiwan didn't begin to truly flourish until it brcame more democratic.
          But the groundwork was set and the commies were prevented from ruining that groundwork. Sometimes the dictator has to be brutal.... the ends justify the means.
          For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

I suppose I can't have Cyrus, Augustus or Alfred the Great, or am I being a little old-fashioned?
            yada

Comment

It depends on what criteria you are judging them. For example; Two of Hitlers main goals were harsh rascism towards the jews and the reclimation of German territory lost. He managed to achieve both of these ( and then some ) before he got his ass kicked so by his own standards he did a pretty good job. By everyone else ( with any marbles ) he didn't.

Why is Fidel up if Napoleon isn't? To my mind they both did fantastic jobs but if one is up there they both should, they took power in a similar way.

Anyone tell me what Saddam has done wrong? ( Apart from invade Kuwait but... PLEASE ).
              A witty quote proves nothing. - Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by Odin
                So what, Provost, Lenin didn't know Stalin would become such a b@st@rd.
                He created a system in which men like Stalin could come to power. Do you think Lenin was above killing people he thought were in his way? Just because Lenin wasn't a psycopath doesnt make him a good person. Compared to Stalin, most dictators pale, but it doesnt lessen what they did so don't make excusses for him.

And correct me if im wrong, but Stalin held most of his postions because Lenin knew what kind of man he was and figured he could put Stalin in powerless postions. I'm sure che may correct me
                Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

The only good thing a dictator could do would be to create a free country, with inviolable individual rights. Since none of those dictators did that, they were by definition not good in any way.

Actually, I'll take that back - the one good thing many of them have done is die.
                  Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                  Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Franco was rubbish, he didn't even have the guts to join the Germans and Italians even when they were winning.

That stupid uniform and general misery he caused the country were negatives aswell
                    Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                    Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Originally posted by Fez

Why does everybody always have to gang up on me? When is it fez turn to go after people?
                      Point 1- In this example, because you started the ad hominems by calling people "stupid leftist".

Point 2- You do that in every debate you get into, so it seems you think it's always your turn.
                      The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Originally posted by Seneca
                        I suppose I can't have Cyrus, Augustus or Alfred the Great, or am I being a little old-fashioned?
                        Alfred the Great isn't the best example because Anglo-Saxon Britain was surprisingly democratic. Although he couldn't have been removed from power as king, he was put there by choice among the aeldormen and thegns rather than through strict primogeniture. There was also an organised system of representation even down to a village level.

It's not a democracy by modern standards, but for the dark ages it was pretty enlightened.
                        The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

as enlightened as your average serf could want?
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)
                          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

the ends justify the means.
                            So Stalin was OK?

Vote for yer favorite by pressing it, then clicking the yellow thingie after loading.

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki
                              I'd say Castro was (is) the best of the lot. Cuba is only as poor as it is because of the US embargo. Granted, not everything Castro has done is great, but I'd certainly say the good outweighs the bad.
                              Move to Cuba and start an anti Castro party or say the same things people in the US say about Bush. Then after a year lets see if you can say that Castro is ok.
                              Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Originally posted by Sprayber

Move to Cuba and start an anti Castro party or say the same things people in the US say about Bush. Then after a year lets see if you can say that Castro is ok.
                                Uh - I don't think anyone is saying Castro is wonderful, just that he is better tahn the others on the list.
                                Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                                Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Working...
                                X