A Value Added Tax
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
      A Value Added Tax
      I mean whats the definition.

Comment

A tax on the value added to goods or services at each stage in their production and distribution. Originated in France in 1954, and was later extended throughout the Common Market.

In effect... it's a sales tax computed on the difference between what a producer pays for a raw material or semi-finshed product and what he sells it for. It kind of sucks because the consumer is the one that ends up paying it, and it hurts the poor people the most.

Governements love it because it usually brings in more money than a traditional sales does.
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

A tax on the value added to goods or services at each stage in their production and distribution. Originated in France in 1954, and was later extended throughout the Common Market.

In effect... it's a sales tax computed on the difference between what a producer pays for a raw material or semi-finshed product and what he sells it for. It kind of sucks because the consumer is the one that ends up paying it, and it hurts the poor people the most.

Governements love it because it usually brings in more money than a traditional sales does.
          Thats the last thing we need, something that sends my family even more in the poor house.

Comment

Yeah... the Dems understand pork as well as Repubs... but only the Repubs are bad when they do it
            Ah, but Clinton was bad at it as well - he let her keep the evidence resulting from his pork

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
              Bush is just doing what his corporate masters desire of him. It's what one comes to expect of Republicans in political power. I expect no more- or less- from him.

btw, don't worry about Mingy. He's just cranky from having to moderate 3 sections now.

(nice pic btw, Ming)
              Yes, Cheg but the demo will do it to. Both of these parties are a disgrace and that is why I do not trust them at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Smith
                Does anybody know what the story is with Molly Irvins? Every article I have ever seen from her has a level of vitriol for Bush that I have rarely seen applied to any other politician by anybody anywhere.
                So quickly you have forgotten Republican spasms of apoplexy over Clinton?
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Theben
                  That wasn't Chegitz, it was me...apparently he was the last to use this computer...
                  Kinda weirded me out to see a post by me that I knew I hadn't written.
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

It would be fantastic if all the apologists for both parties here would wake up, and stop being so indifferent to the rampant corruption. There are alternatives. You just have to have the patience and desire to seek them out.
                    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara So quickly you have forgotten Republican spasms of apoplexy over Clinton?
                      I was referring to journalists, not members of Congress.

And I count Rush Limbaugh and people who appear on Fox as ideologues, not journalists.

Edit: beyond that, there is a question of the level of vitriol relative to the whatever alleged offense.
                      Old posters never die.
                      They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

Why the HELL should I pay my g*dd*mn taxes if these f*cking corporate j*ck*sses can get away with their shell addresses in Bermuda?

Oh, yeah, that's right: I'm just an Average Joe Taxpayer w/o any money muscle to get my agenda before our so-called leaders (and the IRS would come after my butt if I didn't pay up on time). Damn! Guess I'd better start ponying up some Monopoly money at those fancy-schmancy $10,000 per plate dinners.

This kind of policy is bad, bad PR for the national Republican Party. I'd tell them that myself, but I ain't got the $10,000 to get in the door.

Gatekeeper
                        "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Why the HELL should I pay my g*dd*mn taxes if these f*cking corporate j*ck*sses can get away with their shell addresses in Bermuda?

Because everyone loves the corporations .
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I just won $ 184 dollars in a poker game and I am not going to declare it on my tax return. What do I care about Republican abuses?

Comment

Originally posted by jimmytrick
                              I just won $ 184 dollars in a poker game and I am not going to declare it on my tax return. What do I care about Republican abuses?
                              He is right, if it is a private transaction of coins or bills, like a poker game, or geting paid for babysitting, the government won't know anyway. (That is unless Ashcroft puts security cameras in every house. )

Comment

Let's get the picture straight:

Originally, when corporations were smaller, the government regulated the corporations.

Now the corporations regulate the government. Both parties are bought off, as is the media. Republicans are basically willing to tell you this to your face (through a bullhorn and wearing riot gear, of course), while the Democrats prefer to make it sound like they are against it while they basically let the same things go on (but - and pay attention corporate America - there is FAR LESS complaint from the public when the dems are in charge because the idea is that they are "on our side").

After September 11, when it became clear that we had just got rid of our "surplus" and would now need alot more money to create bolder, bigger bureaucracies, this offshore tax shelter thing was brought up as one way to let corporations show their patriotism by paying their "big compared to Bermuda but small compared to every other industrial nation" tax burden.

Tax has a bad name, though. Clinton pardoned the biggest tax evader of recent history just before leaving office and now the republicans have pardoned the corporations (along with restructuring the whole economy in a way that tax burden will fall on the middle class and tax-based programs like education will forever be in danger while there is a need to fund bigger and bigger defense measures... and no one is going to vote to raise taxes...). So the corporations win. They always win. Is there no one on this planet to even challenge them?
                                Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither... Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                                X