No announcement yet.

Should BCS Be Replaced By Playoffs? -- Guynemer's Proposal -- Part II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They beat their rival Oklahoma... and that matters to them.

When did Oklahoma and A&M become rivals?

Winning matters to the fans. Try telling a Texas A&M fan that the game wouldn't mean anything if it didn't have national championship implications.

You're right about this one. I shouldn't have said that the victory "meant absolutely nothing"; I let hyperbole get the better of me and I apologize.

The victory would mean something, as every team likes to win and gain bragging rights. However, beating the best team in the conference (and possibly the nation) and knocking them out of the title race is a million times better than just winning a game. It's great to know that your upset kept the bully of the conference out of the title game. This wouldn't happen with a playoff and I think college football would be less exciting without it. But I'm sure you knew that already...
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
      You're right about this one. I shouldn't have said that the victory "meant absolutely nothing"; I let hyperbole get the better of me and I apologize.
      No need to apologize... I knew what you meant, but I couldn't pass that one up

The victory would mean something, as every team likes to win and gain bragging rights. However, beating the best team in the conference (and possibly the nation) and knocking them out of the title race is a million times better than just winning a game.
      I don't see how having an 8 game playoff would make much difference here. They still beat the best team in the conference, and one of the best in the nation. There fans went NUTS... Whenever underdogs win games, they are charging out on the field, taking down the goal posts... just like they had just one the national championship... I don't think the fact that they may have knocked them out of the championship added very much to their celebration

This wouldn't happen with a playoff and I think college football would be less exciting without it. But I'm sure you knew that already...
      Yeah... I think we both know each others opinion on this subject by now (500+ posts later)

But I still disagree. IMHO, it would just add more excitement because this type of experience would be multiplied by having 8 teams make it... setting up far more "what if" games.

Frankly, an 8 team playoff vs a 2 team playoff is not going to change the importance of the regular season to a teams fans. Winning the conference championship is still going to be important no matter what. Nebraska still wants to kill Oklahoma, Michigan loves to trash Ohio... and on an on. A playoff system isn't going to detract or change those rivalries. A few like you may miss the old days... but the majority will embrace it, and revel in the added excitment those playoff games bring.

One last time... I would like to see a champion prove they are the champion by playing the the best teams, not by just being better on paper
      Keep on Civin'
      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

However, beating the best team in the conference (and possibly the nation) and knocking them out of the title race is a million times better than just winning a game.
        So you admit a one loss team might possibly be the best team in the nation. Shame that they would never be able to prove it in a post season.
        "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Yeah... I think we both know each others opinion on this subject by now (500+ posts later)

500+ Eurocom-free posts. Best. Thread. Ever.

Michigan loves to trash Ohio...

Ohio STATE! Why do you keep doing that?

A few like you may miss the old days... but the majority will embrace it, and revel in the added excitment those playoff games bring.

I think you're right about this. I'm admittedly a college football purist, so my longing for the retention of the current system probably isn't shared by the majority of the country. I think that all of you are wrong and will miss the current system when its gone, but in the long run your side is probably going to win out. All the relevant factors are pushing us towards a playoff system, whether I like it or not...
          KH FOR OWNER!
          ASHER FOR CEO!!
          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

So you admit a one loss team might possibly be the best team in the nation. Shame that they would never be able to prove it in a post season.

They shouldn't have lost to A&M.

I'm not obsessed with finding the "best team" like everyone else on this thread seems to be. I don't think it is even possible in D-I; there are so many teams in so many different conferences that even an 8-team playoff might leave out teams that are arguably the "best". Just look at Kansas State if you want to see a team that wouldn't make a playoff, even though they may be playing the best football in the country right now.

I'm more interested in rewarding the team that had the best season. I value consistent excellence over the course of the regular season more than getting "hot" at the end of the season and making a run through the playoffs. Call me crazy, but that's what I care about.
            KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

With regards to the argument that playoffs would make rivalry games less important...

In 1-AA, Montana State and Montana always play the last week of the regular season. Going into last week, Montana had beaten MSU 16 straight times; MSU hadn't made the playoffs since they won the national championship in '84. Coming into the game, MSU had won 3 straight games, while Montana had lost their first game since 2001 the previous week, meaning the winner of the game would win the conference and get the automatic bid to the playoffs.
              You know what? The largest crowd to watch a sporting event in Montana showed up in the cold, blowing snow, to watch MSU knock off Montana, 10-7. Now both teams have playoff bids and there's the possibility of a rematch in 2 weeks.
              Playoffs would offer the possibility of making great rivalries even greater.

Comment

I have to chuckle... you say:

I'm admittedly a college football purist
                If that was indeed the case, you would be attacking the current BCS system like devil that it is. In terms of College Football History, it hasn't been around all that long. I would think you would be harping to bring the real ole days... Instead, you are going against college football tradition by supporting this bastard that is the BCS. By doing that, you are saying you WANT a playoff system. And all most of us are saying is that it doesn't go far enough. If you truely want to match the best two teams in the nation for a real championship game, an 8 game playoff does that far better. As the BCS rankings shift weekly, and seem to have no basis in reality (see my earlier post), we can't expect this system to consistently match up the two best teams.
                Keep on Civin'

Comment

I'm not obsessed with finding the "best team" like everyone else on this thread seems to be. I don't think it is even possible in D-I; there are so many teams in so many different conferences that even an 8-team playoff might leave out teams that are arguably the "best". Just look at Kansas State if you want to see a team that wouldn't make a playoff, even though they may be playing the best football in the country right now.

I'm more interested in rewarding the team that had the best season. I value consistent excellence over the course of the regular season more than getting "hot" at the end of the season and making a run through the playoffs. Call me crazy, but that's what I care about.
                  Therein lies the core difference. I am interested in finding the best team to be crowned NCAA Div 1 National Champion. The best team in my opinion should be the one that weathers adversity and gets stronger and better as they play through the season. Granted even a playoff never truly answers which team is the best as it is single elimination but IMHO it beats by far arbitrary rule sets, rather than allowing true gridiron combat determine the outcome.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

If that was indeed the case, you would be attacking the current BCS system like devil that it is. In terms of College Football History, it hasn't been around all that long. I would think you would be harping to bring the real ole days...

I'm only 23, Ming. I hardly remember the real ole days...

Not all of us are older than music itself...
                    KH FOR OWNER!
                    ASHER FOR CEO!!
                    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

23, then your being a purist is based on what? Since it's obviously not experience.
                      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Not all of us are older than music itself...
                        While that may be true...

The current BCS system has only been around since 1998 So for the bulk of your life, you enjoyed college football without this "let the computer" decide who gets to play. So my comments stand
                        Keep on Civin'

Comment

The current BCS system has only been around since 1998 So for the bulk of your life, you enjoyed college football without this "let the computer" decide who gets to play. So my comments stand

You got me. I'm not a "purist", I guess. I'm in the middle ground between die-hard playoff proponents like you and those who want to return to the old system like Kepler. I'm willing to sacrifice some tradition to determine a national champ every year, by matching the two teams with the best regular seasons together in a title game. But I don't want to completely change the dynamics of college football by creating a playoff system. Not such an outlandish position, when you really think about it...

It's always nice to be the moderate in any discussion.
                          KH FOR OWNER!
                          ASHER FOR CEO!!
                          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

You got me. I'm not a "purist", I guess.
                            And worthy of some extra respect since you will admit an error when you post one and get called on it.
                            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah

And worthy of some extra respect since you will admit an error when you post one and get called on it.
                              In actuality, Drake has been probably the most vocal supporters on the wrong side of the issue. Kudos to him to have the debating skill to hold his own against a pethora of opponents. Not that I bought his arguements mind you.

In the passage of this thread though he has admitted error a number of times besides the above. Included in these is the admission that a split '94 championship was probably in order, that the best team is not necessarily the NCAA champion under the current or previous system, and finally that rivalries are in of themselves interesting at least for the parties invovled.

Kudos Drake. You've argued long and hard and kept the Euros at bay for many posts.

Still doesn't change the fact that your a Big School, Husker maniac elitist who holds on to tradition because it serves big schools interests. Stubborn mule!

Comment

kept the Euros at bay for many posts.

My most impressive achievement to be sure...
                                KH FOR OWNER!
                                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X