The shame nations of WWII.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks Guardian, interesting read.
    "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
    "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

• Am I the only one that thinks this topic is ridiculous. Labelling 'shame' nations is a nice easy way to avoid the fact that Nazi supporters flourished in all parts of the Western world before WWII and where they were able to influence or gain power has a lot to do with the political climate of the time and the physical or other influence Germany could exert on that country.

The ideas of Nazism were not unique or unique to Germany or unique to countries who would later collaborate with Germany. They were widespread and could have played out in any part of the world that had gone through the post WW1 chaos of Germany.

Comment

• well well, they didn't turn nazi less taken or allied with germany.
        "The meaning of war is not to die for your country, but making your enemies die for their..."

Staff member at RoN Empire

Comment

• hey did paiktis get banned or something?

btw., 'co-belligerent'
          This word was invented by the Finns I think

Comment

• Originally posted by Viking Berserk
            Vidkun got executed at the end of the war too
            Yes, he was. Funny thing is, we didn't have a death penalty in Norway at the time his crimes were commited - not even during war time. The law that allows death penalty to be used against traitors during war time was passed after the war and then used against Quisling and 10 of his followers, thus breaking with the general principle that a law can not be applied to cases that existed before the law was passed. The Supreme Court said that this was an exception and that the new law could be used against the traitors. 11 men were shot, and this is still a cotroversial issue among law students.

Originally posted by Viking Berserk
            The last stand was at Narvik, i'll try figure out when they surrendered (might be 10th june).
            Between the 4th and the 8th of June, allied ships withdrew about 24 500 men from the north of Norway, including Narvik. Negotiations with the Germans began in the afternoon on the 8th, after the last allied units had left the coast and headed for England. The Germans moved back into Narvik that same evening, after finally realizing that the allies were gone. So, I suppose the fighting ended on the 8th.

Originally posted by gsmoove23
            Am I the only one that thinks this topic is ridiculous.
            No, you're not.
            -But the history discussion as such can still be interesting...
            "Politics is to say you are going to do one thing while you're actually planning to do someting else - and then you do neither."
            -- Saddam Hussein

Comment

• Originally posted by Guardian
              No, you're not.
              -But the history discussion as such can still be interesting...
              Well, I agree there. Didn't want to rain on anyone's parade.

Comment

• Originally posted by gsmoove23

The ideas of Nazism were not unique or unique to Germany or unique to countries who would later collaborate with Germany. They were widespread and could have played out in any part of the world that had gone through the post WW1 chaos of Germany.
                Exactly, for many people on the ground Nazism in Germany and Fascism in Italy provided hope from the despearte economic / post war situation where they found themselves in 1930's. Before the second world war both Hitler and Mussolini trully improved lives of ordinary Germans/Italians. However some other policies were bound to be strange, but which German man or to be soldier thought that a man like Hitler would go on and destory 1/2 of the world and had a plan to exterminate Jews.. etc, etc...

(i can bet that having a system that scanns citizens purchases might sound strange to some people now )

if there was a discussion board like this one in 1937 Germany, most likely people would tell you " you fuc***g lunatic, our government would never do a horrendeous thing like that, didn't we just get out of WWI.

Like Citizen Kane "
                I've talked with the responsible leaders of the Great Powers - England, France, Germany and Italy. They're too intelligent to embark on a project which would mean the end of civilization as we now know it. You can take my word from it; there'll be no war!

Who knows, but if this war on terror prolonges into WWIII, and nucear holocaust, maybe present Bush administration will go into history as the most infamous democratically elected government ever. (still not a dictatorship like the German one )

How would we know today? Mistakes are easily pointed out into the events that have passed, still we always manage to make new ones, it just takes some time for history to repeat in one way or the other. Most importantly extremist always exist everywhere, they just need the right moment to capture the stage and to execute their plans during the time they have been given. Thimoty Mc Veigh for a day, Ante Pavelic, or Vidkun Quisling for 3-4 years, Hitler for 10 or 15 , Stalin for 30... well who knows what comes next?
                Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

• Some very, very good points here...

It's always easy to point the finger and place the blame in retrospect, but that's only so much bullsh*t if we're still mucking things up even as we do so... -which we are most of the time...

You know, personally, I think it's just a bunch of BS, but if you want to talk about "shame nations of WWII", you also have to consider the fact that if everyone hadn't been so hell-bent on punishing Germany after WWI, there might not have been a WWII, at least not as we know it. -And you also have to consider that even when things did go terribly wrong, the allies all sat on their self-satisfied butts and waited until all hell broke loose before any of them could be bothered to do something about it.

-And how many times have those same mistakes been repeated since then?
                  More than any of us care to think about, that's for sure! We've just been lucky and the consequences haven't been quite as horrible the last few times. -Or if they have been, it's been on a much smaller scale.

Hence, we're still sitting on our self-satisfied butts and talking about "shame nations of WWII"...
                  "Politics is to say you are going to do one thing while you're actually planning to do someting else - and then you do neither."
                  -- Saddam Hussein

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
                    I used Keegan's "Dirty Little Secrets of World War II" as a source.
                    I thought that was written by one (or actually two) of the toads from Simulations Publications Incorporated (SPI). Ah, here it is Dunnigan and IIRC Albert A. Nofi contributed as well.
                    He's got the Midas touch.
                    But he touched it too much!
                    Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

• You know, personally, I think it's just a bunch of BS, but if you want to talk about "shame nations of WWII", you also have to consider the fact that if everyone hadn't been so hell-bent on punishing Germany after WWI, there might not have been a WWII, at least not as we know it. -And you also have to consider that even when things did go terribly wrong, the allies all sat on their self-satisfied butts and waited until all hell broke loose before any of them could be bothered to do something about it.
                      Germany deserved everything it got after WW1--- and more: They basically started the war in their rush to implement the "France First" strategy; they slaughtered civilians in retaliation for legitimate acts of war by the Belgians; they introduced submarine warfare, gas warfare and aerial bombardment; and they imposed peace treaties on other nations far more onerous than the treaty imposed on them. Then they weaseled out of paying reparations by deliberately inflating their currency.

But you have a point that, if you impose a victor's peace, then you have to impose a victor's peace. The allies should have enforced the treaty to the letter. But ultimately a nation does not assume the "shame" or guilt of another by its failure to impose its will on it. The shame still lies with the nation who commits the offense.
                      Last edited by Vanguard; November 27, 2002, 10:31.
                      VANGUARD

Comment

• - What about Soviet, which ruthlessly killed or deported its own citizens? Which invaded Finland and swallowed the Baltic countries and parts of Poland?
                        It deported and killed Polish citizens as well.
                        Don't forget about that.
                        "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                        I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                        Middle East!

Comment

• Originally posted by Guardian

You know, personally, I think it's just a bunch of BS, but if you want to talk about "shame nations of WWII", you also have to consider the fact that if everyone hadn't been so hell-bent on punishing Germany after WWI, there might not have been a WWII, at least not as we know it.
                          Not everyone, there was Woodrow Wilson. If only they had listened to him. It just goes to show- you should always listen to an American president. Tjey know what they're talking about.
                          "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

• Originally posted by Vanguard

Germany deserved everything it got after WW1--- and more
                            That may well be, but what purpose did it serve?

-And, if it served any purpose at all, was it worth another war that turned out even worse by far than the first one?

I'm not saying that people are not responsible for their own actions or that the guilty don't deserve to be punished, I'm just saying that there are times when punishment - however justified it may seem - is not the right thing to do.

Some times we have to rise above the "shame / guilt / punishment" mindset, let old bones rest where they fell and concentrate on building a better future. -Or, if we have to punish somebody, then at least take it out on individuals, not nations.

If we can't do this, then whatever peace we make will only ever last so long... it's only a matter of time before somebody who feel they were unjustly punished for some crime or another will come back to punish their punishers, and so forth and so on...
                            -- Saddam Hussein

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr Strangelove Not everyone, there was Woodrow Wilson. If only they had listened to him. It just goes to show- you should always listen to an American president. Tjey know what they're talking about.
                              In another thread some time ago I said that Woodrow Wilson was my favorite American president. But he is not at all popular with the Apolyton Americans. Most of you seem to think he was the worst or one of the worst presidents ever. And one of the reasons was that he was an internationalist

Comment

• Ah, the lessons of history.

1) Germans are responsible for WWI
                                2) They lost
                                3) Versailles was justified
                                4) Pres. Wilson did not want to punish Germany - no one listened
                                5) We should have punished individuals, not nations
                                6) Versailles made Hitler possible
                                7) Strict enforcement of Versailles could have prevented WWII
                                8) The Allies did not want to strictly enforce Versailles because many felt it was unjust
                                9) The failure to enforce encouraged even greater demands
                                10) WWII resulted
                                11) The Germans are responsible for WWII

Point 11 does not follow ineluctably from the sequence of events, does it?

After WWII, we punished the Nazi's and rebuilt Germany - at least the US had learned something from history.

And, what does this tell us about Iraq?
                                http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Working...
                                X