Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't forget your pomphead and "Alan rules"-sticker.
    “Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)

Comment

Those stickers are only handed out to those that have shown their ability not to make stupid, ill-founded arguments about almost every topic we cover.

Comment

I've been only talking the bubble economy issue with you. Most of that can even be brought into conventional economics. So I cannot really judge on that basis whether you deserve your Alan sticker or not.

Now, your prediction ?
        “Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)

Comment

Originally posted by Sten Sture
          I thought W doesn't drink anymore?

Congrats on NATO and your BBB rating. Both should help your job a bit. Make sure you end up partnering with a decent global firm when the time comes for that.

Cheers!
          W doesn't, but the Lithuanian business community sure as HELL does .

Thanks; it was at least partially factored into everything, from corporate bonds spreads to equities. Times when you could raid companies or buy them from state prop. fund at 1x EV/EBITDA are sooo over .

Partnering, eh? We do team up with various banks that suit our clients needs best on an ad hoc basis; no need yet to tie ourselves up with anyone.
          Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
          Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
          Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

It's pretty funny how big of difference in expectations exist regarding GDP growth. Some sources talk about revisions of Q3 GDP down to 2.5% (BBC, IIRC). O'Neill talks about revisions upward to 3.5%.

OstStormtrooper: On the 13th in front of congress, Greenspan described a Japanese deflation scenario as "extremely remote".

Sten: Re Taylor, I don't remember where I picked it up lately, although I can remember a Washington Post article describing the frontrunners a year ago or whenever. Odd how groupthink works sometimes, although it's easier to see with word usage. All of the sudden, everybody is using a specific esoteric phrase, etc.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Oh and for all you Krug lovers...

This guy is so full of BS, it's coming out his ears. What a political hack.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Hehe unlike you to be so forthright Dan....he must have upset you.

Krugman is a great economist.....arguably the greatest active macroeconomist, and a thoroughly nice guy. I don't enjoy his political columns much myself, but then, that's because my interest in American politics is ephemeral at best. He seems to have a point in his columns though.....even if it is the same point every week.

Comment

I knew I would get a response on that one.

"Hehe unlike you to be so forthright Dan....he must have upset you."

Nah. Just having a little fun. OstHershell always references him in political threads as somebody (a) who knows what he's talking about and (b) has some impact on politics stateside. Since neither are true () -- the NYT has remarkably little currency in American politics for such a good paper -- and this is a Monday, I thought this a good opportunity to bring it up.

Comment

I can't say about (b), but (a) is certainly true.......though that means I agree with Roland I take it........*shudders*.

Comment

"though that means I agree with Roland I take it"

Oh, silly me for bringing that up.

Comment

Now find some common ground for me and Colon.

Comment

Ooh... A challenge...

Comment

Hang on, we both think I am an excellent economist. That's good enough for me.

Comment

Consensus estimate on tomorrows GDP revision is 3.7%, from the 3.1% initial report. Q4 has been postulated at around 2%, but it will likely be stronger.

Meaning, I would suppose, that the large output gap is somewhat smaller than we thought. Combined with accelerating inflation, and declining unemployment, it doesn't seem to me that we needed that 50 basis points of easing. Not that I want to bring up NAIRU again...

The domestic Treasury market is now above the levels it occupied prior to the rate shock and technicals are deteriorating. Mortgage rates are tightening to Treasuries, but exhibiting a similarly weak technical pattern. If these two trends continue then we have the potential for a weak housing market in the states - prices tend to decline when interest rates are rising in a recovery - and then we will see if the Japan scenario has much validity. I give it a ~5% probability, and then only if precipitated by significant policy errors.

Then again I think Krugman is crack smoking paranoid lunatic, so what do I know...
                              Be the bid!

Comment

Someone that has just has the benefit of the NYT column might think that way............but noone that has written as many canonical papers as Krugman can be a crack addict

Besides I've met him.....he gets a bit excited when talking about income distributions in the US, but overall I saw no evidence of drug abuse of any kind.

Comment

Working...
                                X