Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Governments Reflect The Will Of The People?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panama!!
    CSPA

Comment

I'm getting impatient. I want the Apolyton analysis already!
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger
        That post deserves the rolleyes treatment...
        yeah the truth hurts, don't it?
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Felch X

Since when? ABC is part of Disney, and CNN is part of AOL Time Warner. Unless there's been another merger or sale made.
          Yeah, my mistake... ABCNews is in the process of buying CNN
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

United States, UK, Australia and NZ.
            http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong...
              "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
              You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Israel.... ok this survey was a bunch of B.S.

But then again, a question posed as such could only have political motives.
                Pentagenesis for Civ III
                Pentagenesis for Civ IV in progress
                Pentagenesis Gallery

Comment

The results as reported this past week by National Public Radio were as follows:

1. Dominican Republic
                  2. Israel
                  3. Luxemburg
                  4. Malaysia

Sagacious Dolphin sent me a PM with a link to another survey.

This is the Gallup Millenium Survey, which I presume was conducted in 2000. (or 2001 for you pendants out there) The results of a similar question in the Gallup Millenium Survey of more than 50 countries were as follows:

Comparing the responses at the national level, more Malaysian citizens - over three-quarters (77%) rate themselves as living in a country governed by the will of the people, than any other. Other countries where majorities agree that they are governed by the will of the people are Nigeria, Thailand, Taiwan, Philippines and Norway – the only Western country where this is so.
                  (about half way down the page on the link provided)
                  Old posters never die.
                  They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

OK... now we need the statistics on the following to find what is the best: Government Type, Religion, some score for personal freedom/freedom of speech, levels of income etc... to find out what is really important.

I am suprised Iraq is not on the list ... they just gave Saddam 100% approval rating

1. Dominican Republic
                    2. Israel
                    3. Luxemburg
                    4. Malaysia
                    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Here's a link to a fuller view of the report.

Interesting to me is that North America (population weighted) stands at 43%, while the EU is at 33%. I guess this means that the US is close to being on the list of 50%+ countries...

Another thing that should be noted is that the Middle East is dead last on the list at only 12% believing their government does the will of the people.

Insert democracy here.
                      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

very interesting.......
                        "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                          Another thing that should be noted is that the Middle East is dead last on the list at only 12% believing their government does the will of the people.
                          Dammit. I didn't expect the monarchies to rate very high, but I figured that the theocracies might be pretty high up there...

Originally posted by Sava
                          yeah the truth hurts, don't it?
                          What hurts even more is a one-trick pony attempt at a threadjack by somebody who apparently didn't even read the first (or any subsequent) post in the thread.
                          <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

burger...
                            "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                            "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

"I didn't expect the monarchies to rate very high, but I figured that the theocracies might be pretty high up there..."

What I want to know is whether (a) the governments in the region have these low of approval ratings because of US interference or (b) the US has such low approval ratings in the area because of its persistent association with these unpopular governments...

I don't know, but I'll guess (b) just for fun.

The US is surprisingly popular in Iran. Go figure. This one's funny...

"The head of the National Institute of Public Opinion, Behrouz Geranpayeh, was sent to prison on 16 October immediately after being interrogated by a Teheran court which accused him of spreading lies and fabricating official names, according to his lawyer. The government-run Institute was shut down earlier this month after publication of its poll showing 74.7% of Iranians wanted a resumption of relations with the United States. The head of the official news agency IRNA, which published the poll results, was also summoned by the country's conservative-dominated judiciary."

and from the same poll...

"According to IRNA, the poll found that 45.8 percent of respondents believed US policies on Iran were "to some extent correct"."
                              Last edited by DanS; November 14, 2002, 19:09.

Comment

Working...
                              X