The ivory tower intellectual vs the man on the street

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The ivory tower intellectual vs the man on the street

Winston Churchill once said "the strongest objection that one can make for democracy is to talk to the man on the street about politics for five minutes"

And of course there is the saying "I would rather be governed by random people chosen from the phone book than the faculty at Harvard"

Who do you think should hold the power in society, The masses, or the intellectual elite? and to what degree?
    http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Any kind of poll will tell you most people don't have a clue what's going on, so obviously most people shouldn't be in power.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

For better or worse, the masses should hold the power. Sure, as a group they're pretty uninformed, but at least the masses will see to it that the majority of the mass is treated half way decently.
      What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?

Comment

Great avatar btw Groucho.

Comment

Originally posted by - Groucho -
          For better or worse, the masses should hold the power. Sure, as a group they're pretty uninformed, but at least the masses will see to it that the majority of the mass is treated half way decently.

What about stuff like equal rights for blacks? Did the masses support that?
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

The Romans had it right. One had to be in the Army or be eligible to be in the Army to vote for Consul.

I would modify that in today's America. We could provide two or more kinds of service: one military and the other civilian. Service would be voluntary. But only those who served could vote.

For those of you who saw Starship Troopers, they had this system in the movie. In fact, the whole movie was real "Roman Empire" in its flavor.
            http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

i just wish more people would get involved

a motivated public should rule the country through democratic means...but if no one cares it'll degenerate into a near-republic of educated/interested people running the show anyway
              "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
              You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Ned - that's an awful system. Why should one have to be in the military to vote??
                You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

Comment

He said that he would have a civilian service organization as well. If you don't like the military, you could do your service in the Peace Corps.

I think that the idea has merits. The Army is one of the most progressive of all American institutions and I think it would do most people good to serve their country.
                  KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

why should someone be forced to serve in the armed forces OR peace corps just to vote?

Comment

I'm not really in favor of the idea of service being required to vote, but I think that mandatory service has its good points. I'm not in complete agreement with Ned, so you'll have to ask him.
                      KH FOR OWNER!
                      ASHER FOR CEO!!
                      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I think the issue of allowing people to vote is overblown. Most of the people who are allowed to vote now, don't.

Anyway I thought of having a current events test or something like that as a prerequisite for voting, but that could easily be biased. Same with most other limits on the right to vote, I'll bet
                        "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                        "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

-Ned
                          The idea is horrible, it refuses the vote to dissident individuals who refuse to serve in any way.

Comment

there should be no prereq to vote if you are a living breathing citizen

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

What about stuff like equal rights for blacks? Did the masses support that?
                              Maybe / maybe not - note that I said majority. Sure there are better systems than rule of the masses but our choices were constrained to that or ivory tower elites. When those are your only choices ...
                              What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?

Comment

Working...
                              X