Arafat under siege

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arafat under siege

Live tv coverage. Arafat refuses to come out. Cable new commentators are saying "this will be America's future if we fail to act on terror".

Also "this is a credit card bill thats due" and "the world's oceans were drained on 9/11 and this is what we can expect".

No wonder so much of the world thinks so little of America. I just want to go on record as saying we are not all bubbleheads.

Not to minimize the threat that terror presents, but these comments are inane.

Reporters. A necessary nuisance.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Let me guess, Fox?
      "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

I'm going to sleep now. I hope by the time I wake up the pro-pals on Apolyton will be mourning Yasser.
        "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Why can't they tie him up and pelt him with rotten fruit?

Much more civilised.

Comment

apparently Egypt and Saudi officials have told Arafat that they are going to immediately call Bush. but its the weekend...

Comment

He's watching football.
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

It could almost be considered humorous, the whole situation.
                Last edited by SlowwHand; September 21, 2002, 18:17.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

In the way a shakespeare play could be considered humorous, yes.

Oh wait a minute, doesn't everybody die at the end?
                  Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

Originally posted by CapTVK

Not so! In Hamlet, the aggressive, bloodthirsty, warmonger Fortinbras gained control of Denmark. Thus, all Bush has to do is wait until Sharon guns down Arafat, march in, and wait for the Israeli people to bequeath the nation to him.

Comment

"Arafat Remains Defiant Amid Rubble of His Compound
                      Sat Sep 21, 3:49 PM ET
                      By SERGE SCHMEMANN The New York Times

RAMALLAH, West Bank, Sept. 21 — Yasir Arafat, sealed up with about 200 men in his dust-choked offices while Israeli bulldozers leveled buildings outside, defiantly declared today that he would not capitulate. At the same time, he called on Palestinians to halt attacks inside Israel."

Ok, will you settle for black comedy?

Comment

Why does this sound more and more like a Marx Brothers movie?
                        I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
                        i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

Originally posted by CapTVK

they get married just as often.

Are those wedding bells or Israeli shells I can hear?
                          If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Israel Plants Flag in Palestinian HQ

I just find this funny for some reason...

Comment

...and now it looks like the Israelis are going to blow the place up

taken from: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2002/09/i...21061603_1.htm
                              Earlier, Israeli troops told 250 Palestinians holed up in Mr Arafat's headquarters to evacuate the building they are in because there is going to be a "huge explosion".

Speaking in Arabic over loudspeakers, soldiers told everyone inside the building to "come out immediately one by one with your hands up because a huge explosion is going to happen".

Correspondents at the site said Israeli soldiers told neighbouring residents to open their windows and turn off their lights in preparation for an explosion.

Palestinian hospitals and medical facilities have been put on red alert for casualties, and ambulances are also standing by.

Israel has confirmed it wants 50 men in the building, allegedly for orchestrating terrorist attacks.

Those wanted include West Bank intelligence chief Tawfiq Tirawi and the commander of Mr Arafat's elite Force 17 bodyguard, Mahmud Damra.

An aide to Mr Arafat, Nabil Abu Rudeina, is one of those still inside the building.

He says no-one is leaving and has warned the Israelis of dire consequences if they try to blow it up.

"This is a new step of escalation from the Israeli army, where they are threatening to storm the building and to blow up everything," he said.

"This new escalation is going to burn everything and we warn the Israeli Government, that this escalation will lead for more violence and more troubles."

Mr Rudeina says Mr Arafat has spoken by phone with a number of foreign leaders in a bid to resolve the crisis, including the Irish Prime Minister Bertie Ahern and the Jordanian Prime Minister Ali Abu Ragheb.

Another Palestinian inside the besieged compound says Mr Arafat has also discussed his situation with the Russian Foreign Minister Igor Ivanov.

But Israeli Foreign Minister Shimon Peres has assured the Russian Foreign Minister and EU foreign policy chief Javier Solana by telephone that Israel had no plans to hurt Mr Arafat.

"We promise that Arafat will not be harmed," Peres said, according to a statement from the foreign ministry.
                              'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
                              - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Working...
                              X