Germany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Germany

What's going on Germany? It appears that anti-Americanism there has reached new lows with the crack by the German justice minister comparing Bush to Hitler. Even members of Congress are calling for a "reajustment" of our relations with Germany if Schroeder is re-elected. This has all the look of a downward spiral that could end our alliance.

Last edited by Ned; September 20, 2002, 13:54.
    http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Whats wrong with the comparison

Don't worry, she's European, just like Hitler.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

shcreder has managed to win whereas he was loosing HUGE by promising the good and justious German people of TODAY (emphasis on today - go Germany ) that their country will not participate in a war against Iraq.

The fact that he has been able to turn the tables on his favor just by that proves that Germans are following the path the Greeks showed: anti-americanism.

Comment

english are worse than germans sagacious, stop bragging like you just won WW2 for fook's sake.

Comment

I think for the maintenance of the atlantic alliance we should try to be as conciliatory as possible with the Germans and minimize any rift. America's enemies would like nothing more then such a rift occur, the best way to fight them is to try to ensure friendly relations with Germany.
          "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

bah i think it's better to be anti-american (governement of course, not racism!) like Schröder is (at the moment ) than being a Warmonger like Stoiber
            "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
            "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

i agree

Comment

Originally posted by paiktis22
                english are worse than germans sagacious, stop bragging like you just won WW2 for fook's sake.
                I was showing how a comparison does not mean that much. I don't see how it is bragging.

I'm European, just like Hitler. I'm not offended by that comparison, its a true one.
                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Yes sure a single anecdote is proof of a new all time low (shouldn't it be high btw?). The person in question said it when no journalists where present. A swedish minister said that Norway was the last soviet state in a simular situation. Everyone knows that comparing anyones views with Hitlers is common in more private talks. Nothing strange about that.

Comment

As Albertus pointed out, the Minister's comments are being blown out of proportion and taken slightly out of context. What she said was some of the tactics this administration have used was something Hitler had done. That's not the same as saying "Bush is like Hitler."

It was perhaps a poor choice considering the political mileage Bush & Co. are getting out of twisting her words, but it wasn't a bad thing to say in and of itself. She was right, after all.
                    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

the US cannot possibly be compared to Nazi Germany nor Bush with Hitler.

There are some things which are simply absurd.

Comment

I bet Hitler banned computer games as well...

Comment

Re: Germany

Originally posted by Ned
                          What's going on Germany? It appears that anti-Americanism their has reached new lows with the crack by the German justice minister comparing Bush to Hitler.
                          Currently it is unclear whether our minister has said this or not - she just said she hasn´t on a press conference...
                          Blah

Comment

Oh, and I don't think our relations with Germany will be affected that much. We need the bases we have there, after all, to wage war on Iraq.

Hmmm, what if Germany balks at the U.S. using those bases to coordinate the Iraq war, and kicks us out?
                            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Do you compare the holocaust with some internet caffees closing down?

This is a great insult to all the victims of Nazi Germany.

Comment

Working...
                              X