Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by paiktis22
    That's not a peeved finn's ramblings.
    How can you know that? Have you seen a peeved Finn?
    italians have proposed an end to 1 and 2 cents.
    And BOF doesn't distribute Finnish 1 and 2 cent coins as they would have a too small value. And I agree with their opinion as the 5 cent coin isn't so valuable now. Instead prices are round up with following rules.

x,01 -> x,00
    x,02 -> x,00
    x,03 -> x,05
    x,04 -> x,05
    x,06 -> x,05
    x,07 -> x,05
    x,08 -> x,10
    x,09 -> x,10

But I might have remembered it wrong now.
    "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

The United States has been trying to move to one dollar coins for years -- first the Suzy B., the Saskewagea (close enough); the Sas just got cancelled for lack of interest -- people just aren't using them.
      Last edited by The Mad Monk; September 19, 2002, 03:51.
      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Problem is, every country has their own ideas about how to partition currency. In Germany, a 50 ? note is just as normal as everything below. Mostly because the 100 DM note was also very normal. In most other countries people tend to get suspicious at that. The 2? coin is even less than 5 DM which we were used to. There was a DM 5 note which you would get once or twice a year, but it wasn't really accepted. One tried to introduce a 200 DM note, but somehow you'd never get them. - I don't know who complained about them, but apparently people did.

I enjoyed very much that on my frequent train trips between Nancy and Cologne, I didn't get any more Belgian/Luxembourg Franc when I bought a meal in Luxembourg main station... And lots of similar things.
        Why doing it the easy way if it is possible to do it complicated?

Comment

Anyone who thinks something's worth less just because it's a coin is clearly a moron.
          Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
          We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH
            Anyone who thinks something's worth less just because it's a coin is clearly a moron.
            Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
            Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

not if he is used to think that for all his life he isn't.

You are calling most of continental Europe morons. But you are a brit, so...

Comment

(clarification: so since you will be under more German domination than what you already are, who gives a hollering ****? )

Comment

So in europe people have always thought coins which are the same denomination as notes are worth less
                  Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.

Comment

We vil eat your children, ya?

Comment

We vil eat your children, ya?
                      If you eat the ones who scratched my car i'll be grateful

Comment

Clarification for the dumb witted: when the most worth coin in many countries was only a fraction of the value of the 1 coin euro you tend to subconsiously give the 1 euro coin less worth.

One.

and Two: retailers are taking advantage of that psychological fact.

This is the 3rd time I have to repeat it. Jesus H Christ

Comment

/me likes his Aussie notes made of plastic, not paper.

Although our $1 and $2 are coins. Better than notes IMO.
                          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Clarification for the dumb witted: when the most worth coin in many countries was only a fraction of the value of the 1 coin euro you tend to subconsiously give the 1 euro coin less worth.

One.

and Two: retailers are taking advantage of that psychological fact.

This is the 3rd time I have to repeat it. Jesus H Christ
                            Well don't think that. It's stupid.
                            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                            We've got both kinds

Comment

No 1 and 2 € notes. When I was in the US, I couldn't bear this stupid 1$ notes. Maybe it's just me, but I hate to insert notes everytime I want something from a vending machine.
                              Plus, notes take much more room than coins, and having notes for smaller values will make our wallets grow terribly bigger. Go with the 5€ coin ! (I can't understand I agreed with Brits on this one)

When notes will lose their real value, they'll lose their values in the mind of people too (remember the German devaluation : nobody said notes were worth something).
                              But I could see your point if life in Greece was really chepaer than in northern Europe (and wages lower accordingly).
                              Let's just compare prices : here in France, 20 cigarettes cost about 3€, a litre of gasoline costs arond 1€, a student's flat is aroun 120€. How much is it in Greece ?
                              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

In the UK 20 cigarettes is €6.75, a litre of petrol is about €1.50 and a students flat is about €300 a month - depending on what part of the country you are in. More in expensive areas.
                                We've got both kinds

Comment

Working...
                                X