Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long till Iraq is at war? What happens during it, and after?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey did not use non-conventional weapons to the best of my knowledge,
    Actually, Turkey has used poison gas. On Kurds, in fact (albeit 50 or so years before Saddam did).

Turkey is more or less a civilised country
    If being a civilized country means wiping out tens of thousands of Kurds and sending a couple million into refugee camps, I'm not sure if that's a good thing.

and is not expansionist.
    Well, Turkey has been eyeing Northern Iraq recently. Then, there's that whole Cyprus business.
    "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
    -Bokonon

Comment

Cyprus intervention was neccesary to prevent Greeks from massacaring the Turkish-cypriot population. Turkish actions in Kurdish lands have been part of an ongoing massive civil war there in which many Turks have been killed by Kurdish terrorists.
      "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Originally posted by Sirotnikov
        So that there would be 1 place in the world where this ethnicity will have self determination and self-rule and will live as a majority?

Or are you also against a Palestine for palestinians, a Basque state for Basques and so on?
        I would be slightly troubled if the Basques cleared out the entire Pyrenees area and made it their country. It was all their land several thousand years ago, after all.
        Poor silly humans. A temporarily stable pattern of matter and energy stumbles upon self-cognizance for a moment, and suddenly it thinks the whole universe was created for its benefit. -- mbelleroff

Comment

Cyprus intervention was neccesary to prevent Greeks from massacaring the Turkish-cypriot population.
          So the the Turks could massacre/rape/pillage the Greek Cypatriot population instead.

Turkish actions in Kurdish lands have been part of an ongoing massive civil war there in which many Turks have been killed by Kurdish terrorists.
          Riiight, the ethnic cleansing of Kurds is justified by the relatively small amount of Kurdish terror against Turks.
          "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
          -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by David Floyd
            Actually, I hope the US gets its head handed to it, to teach us a lesson about foreign intervention and aggression.

Won't happen, of course, because the US military is the most powerful military force the world has ever seen, but one can hope.

Comment

Hey Serb, I thought we were allies once again. I hope Russia doesn't begin another cold war.

I saw an interesting battle analysis on Fox given by a retired general. He said the campaign would proceed in stages, with the first stage being an air assault to take out Iraqi air defensees and to destroy scuds. Next troops would size and hold Iraqi oil fields to prevent Saddam from pulling another Kuwait. Next, US airpower would impose a "no move" zone over Iraqi.

- At that point, the analyst was interupted.

However, it seemed clear that we could conduct the initial stages of the campaign with only 50,000 troops.
              http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Originally posted by Ned
                Hey Serb, I thought we were allies once again.
                So what? If you are allied with somebody, it doesn't mean that your ally should agree with all your decisions and should please you everytime.
                I hope Russia doesn't begin another cold war.
                We never started cold wars, we prefer hot wars.

Comment

About 600 officers under the command of Gen. Tommy R. Franks, about a quarter of his staff, will move to Qatar in November, military officials said. The purpose is to test the ability to deploy a headquarters rapidly in a crisis and to carry out a war game, the officials said.
                  General Tommy Franks!?
                  IIRC, isn't that the guy who was incharge of the special anti General Aided actions in Somalia, as told by the book and movie Black Hawk Down? Or is that a different guy? Interesting if its the same man, i hope it is, cause it wouldnt be a bad choice at all. Considering he got a good taste of hard core urban combat in the Battle of Mogadishu, and has been studying it practically ever since.

Kman
                  "I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
                  - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
                  Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

I believe the commander of the Somali actions (debacle, call it what you will) resigned right after Adid died.
                    "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                    "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                    "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Anyone know if Tommy Franks bears any relation to General Fred Franks (the guy who commanded, IIRC, VIIth Corps in the Persian Gulf)?
                      Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                      Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

*digs out and dusts off old copy of Black Hawk Down*
                        hmm. i was kinda off; it was General William F. Garrison who commanded the speacial operations stuff in Somalia, and he did retire shortly after.

Kman
                        "I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
                        - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
                        Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Serb

U.S. IS BAD GUYS etc.
                          Perhaps your homeland would prefer another curb stomping in response to such retarded use of emoticons?

YARGH HARGH HAR ME LOVE SERBIA

Comment

WTF?
                            What a cheap fake. Where did you get it? I never said such words in THIS thread.

And btw, my homeland never experienced curb stomping caused by you and more likely never will, because you don't have balls to attack Siberia. And if you will ever have balls to attack us... Malo blyadi nikomu ne pokazhetsa dazhe Kanadskim blyadiam.

Comment

Perhaps I'll let your nation curb stomp yourself with its poor living standards.

Your people suck and are failures. Have a good day

Comment

FY too.

Comment

Working...
                                X