Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pictures of my trip to the US (it's not as dull as it sounds)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attached Files
    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Find the air pollution
      Attached Files
      DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: more pictures

Originally posted by Colon
        Barrel distortion? Use layman's words please.

I have an Ixus 300 made by Canon.
        Barrel distortion is when lines that should be parrallel actually bow outwards. Pincushion is when the lines bow inwards. A lot of PC monitors have an adjustment for pincushion/barrel distortion so maybe you can play with that to see what it looks like. LCD monitors of course don't have that adjustment only CRTs.

Comment

Find the Empire State Building (and that weasely Chrysler Building)
          Attached Files

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: more pictures

Originally posted by Ethelred

Barrel distortion is when lines that should be parrallel actually bow outwards. Pincushion is when the lines bow inwards. A lot of PC monitors have an adjustment for pincushion/barrel distortion so maybe you can play with that to see what it looks like. LCD monitors of course don't have that adjustment only CRTs.
            Where exactly do you notice barrel distortion? Isn't it just the effect of perspectives?

Comment

In SOME of the pictures there might be some bowing. I can't be sure. The perspective effect is called keystoning. If I was to look at one of those pictures in a photo editing program I could lay a straight line along a building edge and be sure, especially with a high resolution version of them. Since the distortion will change with the zoom it could be there in some photos and not in others. Avoiding such distortion is one of the reasons that zoom lens have so many different elements in them. The other big reason is to keep the colors from spreading. Most lenses are designed to keep control the red and blue light and the middle of the spectrum kinda goes along. Very expensive lenses called apochromates are designed to control the middle of the spectrum better which keeps the all the colors hiting the same point instead of spreading and losing sharpness.

Keystoning is what you get when you tilt the camera so that the back is not parrellel with the buildings. I say it that way because it IS possible to shoot up an keep the back parrellel with a view camera. Instead of tilting the camera you raise the lens that is on a board mounted on rails on in a track. Thats one of the reasons profesional studio and architecture photographers use those bit ungainly things besides the large film sheets. Of course now they are replacing the big film backs with big digital backs but they are still using the basic view camera with hideously expensive lenses like a Schneider 90 mm Super Angulon. I don't even want to think about what those things must cost today.

There now you have more information than you wanted to know.

Comment

Ethelred: You're eyes aren't deceiving you. There is still some distortion in these digital cameras (cheap optics?). My camera maxes out at about 20 mm, if I recall correctly.

NB: There were two cameras that took these pictures. If you are sharp, you might even be able to tell the difference between the two.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                  Ethelred: You're eyes aren't deceiving you. There is still some distortion in these digital cameras (cheap optics?). My camera maxes out at about 20 mm, if I recall correctly.
                  Doesn't have to be cheap optics although that most likely has something to do with it. Its hard to counter barrel/pincushion distortion throughout the entire range of a zoom lens especialy when the zoom is more than three to one. My 100 to 300 lens outweighs my Canon EOS 620 body by a large margin. People usually aren't willing to accept a 4 to 6 pound camera. Most of the digital cameras only have the one built in lens and they way less than pound.

Comment

AWESOME pictures colon!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ethelred
                      There now you have more information than you wanted to know.
                      It was interesting.

Maybe there is barrel distortion but I haven't noticed much of it so far so it doesn't really bother me.

Comment

• I've made gallery with my pictures of Manhattan. You've seen most of them already though.

Dan, when are you going to send the other pictures?

Comment

• When I get off my fat ass.
                          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Is that gallery linked to your other page Colon? It doesnt have a link that takes you back.
                            ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                            ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

• Originally posted by DanS
                              When I get off my fat ass.
                              Then get off it now, because I got people whining for them.

It isn't linked to my other page no, my webdesign skills are extremely crude.

Comment

Working...
                              X