Oh this is priceless...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh this is priceless...

Sorry if this has been posted before, but...

If the US and Iraq do go to war, there can only be one winner, can't there? Maybe not. This summer, in a huge rehearsal of just such a conflict - and with retired Lieutenant General Paul Van Riper playing Saddam - the US lost. Julian Borger asks the former marine how he did it

At the height of the summer, as talk of invading Iraq built in Washington like a dark, billowing storm, the US armed forces staged a rehearsal using over 13,000 troops, countless computers and $250m. Officially, America won and a rogue state was liberated from an evil dictator.
    What really happened is quite another story, one that has set alarm bells ringing throughout America's defence establishment and raised questions over the US military's readiness for an Iraqi invasion. In fact, this war game was won by Saddam Hussein, or at least by the retired marine playing the Iraqi dictator's part, Lieutenant General Paul Van Riper.

In the first few days of the exercise, using surprise and unorthodox tactics, the wily 64-year-old Vietnam veteran sank most of the US expeditionary fleet in the Persian Gulf, bringing the US assault to a halt.

What happened next will be familiar to anyone who ever played soldiers in the playground. Faced with an abrupt and embarrassing end to the most expensive and sophisticated military exercise in US history, the Pentagon top brass simply pretended the whole thing had not happened. They ordered their dead troops back to life and "refloated" the sunken fleet. Then they instructed the enemy forces to look the other way as their marines performed amphibious landings. Eventually, Van Riper got so fed up with all this cheating that he refused to play any more. Instead, he sat on the sidelines making abrasive remarks until the three-week war game - grandiosely entitled Millennium Challenge - staggered to a star-spangled conclusion on August 15, with a US "victory". "

Hilarious... The rest of the article is even better.
    "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

It doesn't bode well...

Hopefully the Iraqi's aren't going to be as awkward as this bloke was, and play the game.

Comment

The scary thing is that the US expects Iraq to be just as reliant on technology as they are - there was one point where the bloke was told that his microwave communications had been taken out and he'd have to use satellite mobile phones. He wanted to use motorbike messengers and distribute information via the mosques, but the US said Iraq wouldn't act like that.
      Hm.
      "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

"Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

In WW2, when wargaming Midway, the Japanese overturned the umpire on how many and which carriers were sunk, and then even the ones the generals and admirals allowed to be sunk initially were refloated later for the rest of the campaign.
          Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
          Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by David Floyd
            In WW2, when wargaming Midway, the Japanese overturned the umpire on how many and which carriers were sunk, and then even the ones the generals and admirals allowed to be sunk initially were refloated later for the rest of the campaign.
            Defensive :P Although it is all quite amusing I wonder if the Iraqis are planning to hire this bloke as a tactician...
            Last edited by Clear Skies; September 6, 2002, 08:05.

Comment

Isn't this a bit like cheating at solitaire
              Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
              Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

It does seem a bit pointless..
                "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

The restarting I can understand...no point continuing when there's nothing left.
                  But it's the way he was being forced into a script that makes the whole exercise pointless.

Comment

"Pride goes before a fall." I don't think that anyone should assume that this will be a piece of cake. If he does have the weapons that he is alleged to have then we may be opening up a bucket of worms. Once the lid is off it can be very difficult putting them back in. The cocky, arrogant attitude of some may get a lot of people killed. There is more to warfare than technology.

Comment

i'm just waiting for one of the blind to call all y'all america-hatin' bastids.
                      B♭3

Comment

y'all jist a bunch a anti-american bastids..

Comment

thanks, jt.
                          B♭3

Comment

hahaha this is what happened to us in army too. 'You were gassed' 'But I had my mask already on..' 'Doesn't matter, you're dead, don't worry, you're back alive soon' .

This was maybe a bit embarrasing, but it was very good for the US army. They now spotted some weak points etc. Happens to the best of us.
                            In da butt.
                            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

I could see the point if they said " ok you got us-- lets restart"-- then the invaders could learn from their mistakes and try again . . . I thought that was the whole idea of a wargame, practice and learn.

But to blithely ignore the fact that the landing failed and then limit what the defender can do -- what is the point of the exercize ??
                              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Working...
                              X