This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lancer
    Asher, Prosper was born out of wedlock, but that's been fixed, Suzee and Sneak are married now. Yet you did not refrain from calling Prosper, a really great kid and son of a married couple, "a bastard".
    Apparently you have no idea what bastard means, do you Lancer?
    bas·tard Pronunciation Key (bstrd)
    n.
    A child born out of wedlock.

Whether or not they got married after (and what a wedding that was!) is not the point.
    And there is a difference in connotation between "a bastard" and "a bastard child", and it's no wonder that you and Sneak (and blackice and Chris) enjoy truncating the phrase so it looks like I just called his child a bastard, rather than a bastard child.

Since the derogatory term is applied to children born out of wedlock and you decided to use it to Sneak, one of his parents, why should you consider it unfair if Sneak falls to your level, contacts your parents, and tells them you are gay? It's true isn't it? Just like Prosper being born out of wedlock is true? Or, if he were to fall to your level and choose a derogatory term, say you were a ******?
    They're in completely different leagues.
    It's certainly not a nice thing to say, and I would never call his son a bastard in his presence, but in a debate with the father about his manly accomplishment it's fair game if he has a kid in an unstable relationship at the time.

How you can compare this to contacting someone's parents and outting them is beyond me, and it tells me a little bit more of how feeble minded you really are.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
      woohoo

Ashers back

there were some threads for you to join in (even a Microsoft thread)

Jon Miller
      I'm not reading the other threads, Jon, I'm here to get banned so it's easier to stay away and try to stand up for myself, given that Sneak (showing how big of a man he is) decided to give a onesided story out.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
        All I will say on this:

SS sent me a PM (won't post it, don't worry) apologizing to me about the incident. While I think it's a big thing to do, I feel that the threat to out Asher to his family (which he did NOT portray as a joke) was inexcusable, and there should be a zero-tolerance policy for such a threat. I would have had him perma-banned for it, and I think Asher had every right to be infuriated over it. Even if he called SS's kid a rotten little sh*t, that doesn't remotely compare to making a threat to do something to somebody in real life. Most message boards take this stuff VERY seriously, and I don't think Apolyton should be different.

I'm very pissed that someone whose presence I value will likely not return over this. But I don't blame him one bit.

Thank you.
        I diagree with you over this

it was a threat made in a verbal fight and whlie wrong there was nothing that needed permabanned in it (I think the two week ban was appropriate)

if you permabanned over that you would have to permaban over many other things also, because theings get sad in the heat of the moment that people later regret

and I would like Asher to stay on the board as well, so I agree there

I just think that punishment is a good enough action, permabanning is like the DP and shold only be used in cases of sufficeint seriousness (like if Supersneak had actually done the threat)

as for the brawl, let's put that behind us (it has gotten to serious to be funny and I think it is best to end it)

Jon Miller
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

All I will say on this:

SS sent me a PM (won't post it, don't worry) apologizing to me about the incident. While I think it's a big thing to do, I feel that the threat to out Asher to his family (which he did NOT portray as a joke) was inexcusable, and there should be a zero-tolerance policy for such a threat. I would have had him perma-banned for it, and I think Asher had every right to be infuriated over it. Even if he called SS's kid a rotten little sh*t, that doesn't remotely compare to making a threat to do something to somebody in real life. Most message boards take this stuff VERY seriously, and I don't think Apolyton should be different.

I'm very pissed that someone whose presence I value will likely not return over this. But I don't blame him one bit.

Thank you.
          Definently agree.

Comment

Boris, The use of the word "bastard" came first?

Asher lives in a glass house and he's throwing stones? Sneak shouldn't throw back because he might break a window.

Ya right.
            Long time member @ Apolyton
            Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

while I do not remember the thread in question

and think that it is wrong to continue this discussion (will just cause more hurt feelings)

I think the point was to give the guys some time to cool off

I like both of them, so could everyone leave this subject alone (just don't talk about it)

some feelings were hurt, mistakes were made

it would be best for all if this conversation ended

Jon Miller
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Asher lives in a glass house and he's throwing stones? Sneak shouldn't throw back because he might break a window.

Ya right.
                "bastard" and "bastard child" have different connotations, Lancer. Especially when you take into account the phrase "bastard child" was used in a post slamming SNEAK alone, and his accomplishments.

I find it disturbing you either still don't understand this, or you do understand it and are really trying to piss me off.

And you apparently still can't see the difference in saying someone has a bastard child and outting a gay teen to his parents? INCREDIBLE.

Comment

Ya right.
                  It doesn't matter if Asher did say it first. If I called you a sh*t-eating son of a whore whose father was a greasy pedophile, that would be worthy of a reprimand, sure. But if you in response threatened to do something to me or my family IRL, that's beyond worthy of reprimand, it's worthy of banning.

Threats to do such things are not jokes, Jon Miller. People have been murdered via internet strangers, so a no-tolerance policy is appropriate. Calling people names is DRAMATICALLY different than threatening to really do something to them. Since Apolyton moderators are not qualified to psychologically evaluate posters who make such threats, IMO they need to take every such threat seriously and deal with it under the assumption it is real.
                  Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

The world according to Asher...

Telling Sneak he has a "bastard child" isn't calling Prosper a bastard.

Comment

Re: The world according to Asher...

Telling Sneak he has a "bastard child" isn't calling Prosper a bastard.

What the hell is wrong with your head?

When you tell a father about his "bastard child", it's clearly talking about the state of wedlock when the child was born.

Calling a person a plain "bastard" is nothing but a derrogatory comment, there is a difference.

Are you intentionally blinding yourself to that difference so you can feel better about your friends' actions, or are you just a ****ing moron? Or both?

Comment

There you go using derogatory terms again Asher.

Comment

Re: There you go using derogatory terms again Asher.

I'll try to remember to use nicer terms next time I try to get banned.

Comment

Why do I get the feeling that if Supersneak had been young, not American and left-wing, he actually would have been perma-banned?

Comment

Threats to do such things are not jokes, Jon Miller. People have been murdered via internet strangers, so a no-tolerance policy is appropriate. Calling people names is DRAMATICALLY different than threatening to really do something to them. Since Apolyton moderators are not qualified to psychologically evaluate posters who make such threats, IMO they need to take every such threat seriously and deal with it under the assumption it is real.
                              but in a huge argument people make threats all the time

you can't go permabanning every person who does so (that would be like giving the DP to those who get in fights)

it is only those who act wrongly that shuold be permabanned (those who engage in the most foul crimes get the DP)

while words should be taken seriously, it must be understood that they are jsut words, and people say things when they are angry (including threats)

the proper response is some moderator action, and if supersneak had a habit of making threats against posters I am sure the punishment would be graeter

but he hasn't (this is the first time I am aware of), and there is nothing about him that we know that would suggest that he would act on the threat either

I like it that the apolyton system assumes innocent until proven guilty, and is loath to give people the final cut (I of course think that people should be given a bit more leeway, poor CivNation)

I do not consider threats a joke (Although when I insult people here it is almost always as a joke), but Supersneak has done the time and that is all that is required (and should be given) in the situation

Jon Miller
                              Jon Miller-
                              I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

When a man is going on and on about what a great man he is, it's fair game to look at his "accomplishments" and see how wonderful they actually are.

Why? Do not bring their family into it. That is easy to understand is it not?
                                Why not take the time to look at your own, and your own honesty.
                                Seems to me that he has fewer secrets than you do?
                                Seems to me he has admitted wrong and tried to be nice to you several times. Seems to me that you are the one milking this (Crying) the loudest here. You took his niceties and threw them in his face and continue to do so. In my books that makes him a better man hands down.

Oh BTW you over use the “crying” thing getting a bit boring that everyone is “crying” who disagrees with you or has something legitimate to say.

You’re still not man enough to admit you called his child a bastard child thus bringing his child into it. Color it any way you like, it was not called for period admit it and move on.
                                “The Communist Manifesto was correct…but…we see the privileges of the capitalist bourgeoisie yielding…to democratic organizations…In my judgment…success lies in a steady [peaceful] advance…[rather]…than in…a catastrophic crash."Eduard Bernstein
                                Or do we?

Comment

Working...
                                X