Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There must be hardly a trace of a Pom accent left in their Zurich competition. All Black Daryl Gibson has just signed with Bristol for two years.
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• He seems to be always pushing "a little" sideways...
      Which is okay as long as you can change when you realise the referee is picking it up every time? On Saturday he kept being penalised – not good.

I notice one of your chaps - Mr Kay - was binned for a punch. The red card obviously doesn't exist up there either.
      I won’t defend a puncher - though ‘push’ would be more accurate But the guy he ‘hit’ deserved every bit of it – one of my least favourite players and a Bath reject to boot – Mark Regan. Regan made damn sure this little push got his fellow Professional binned. Despicable stuff.

But don’t look at this as representative of NH practice – the referee was Chris White and he was still very clearly tainted from his recent SH experience.

The Sale Sharks are from a town near Manchester. At times they present themselves as ‘Manchester Sale’ although the real Manchester are in the lower divisions. I’m sure it will strengthen them but they are already a strong side – Robinson and Hodgson are there for starters.

You’ll not sell me on Saints being strengthened by the arrival of a second string Aussie lock – they lost a first string French lock (Brouzet) in the close season.

The Australian number 8 is an Islander right? Wouldn’t you like, just once, to field an all "born Australian" XV?
      It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Originally posted by Havak
        On Saturday he kept being penalised – not good.
        As I told it to you earlier Havak, the problem with Franck Tournaire is that he is a great player when he wants to, he often costs its team more points than he allows it to score.

About the Stade Toulousain scrum : the ST scrum has not been good last year (see the semi-final against Agen), I think the scrum will be a real problem all along the season even when the wounded players come back.

I hope I'am wrong, of course.
        "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

But don’t look at this as representative of NH practice – the referee was Chris White and he was still very clearly tainted from his recent SH experience.
          If a dog travels from here to England, he has to be quarantined for a period on arrival. I therefore assume Chris White underwent a period of quarantine after his return trip?

The Sale Sharks are from a town near Manchester.
          Ah! Yes, I've heard of them as Sale.

The Australian number 8 is an Islander right? Wouldn’t you like, just once, to field an all "born Australian" XV?
          Pourquoi?
          " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
          "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tamerlin
            I hope I'am wrong, of course.
            Tamerlin - I haven't yet decided on an English club team to support, but I have decided to back your judgement and support Stade Toulousain in the French comp. I have been to the area a couple of times, even if I didn't get to a match. I hope I'm not a burden!

Comment

• Sad news here this morning. Former Wallaby (and NSW) coach Greg Smith died yesterday after a reoccurrence of a brain tumor. He was only 52. He preceded Rod Macqueen as Wallaby coach and his time in the top job - 1996/1997 - was a real mixture of inspiration and disaster. Amongst his inspirations were to have John Eales appointed Wallaby skipper and to shift Steve Larkham from fullback to 5/8th; amongst his disasters was the monumental 22-61 loss to the Springboks in 1997.

The common criticism of his coaching was his unpredictability, particularly in team selection. Rarely did the same team take the field in consecutive matches, which made it hard to develop unity. OTOH, John Eales gives Smith a lot of the credit for the 1999 WRC win, arguing that it was the young players unearthed by Smith's turnover policy several years earlier that won the WRC.

Comment

• Hey, I learned a new feature today! I can't believe Fin has posted 178 times in this thread!
                I'll bet he wouldn't post that much about music OR pasta.
                Rugby, Finbar's one true love.
                Life and death is a grave matter;
                all things pass quickly away.
                Each of you must be completely alert;
                never neglectful, never indulgent.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperSneak
                  Rugby, Finbar's one true love.
                  Nuh. One of several. I've tried to get a couple of food threads going, as you recall, but you and I were the only ones contributing. They were wasted on the phillistines that infest this place.

Comment

• Originally posted by finbar
                    Tamerlin - I haven't yet decided on an English club team to support, but I have decided to back your judgement and support Stade Toulousain in the French comp. I have been to the area a couple of times, even if I didn't get to a match. I hope I'm not a burden!
                    Not at all !
                    "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• Very sorry to hear about the death of your former coach. From what I recall he is one of the most gentlemanly individuals you have had in the role in the last decade?

I therefore assume Chris White underwent a period of quarantine after his return trip?
                      We sent him to Bath for a long weekend yes.

I've heard of them as Sale.
                      The owner is trying to move them to a new ground. They have tried for Manchester City’s ground (vacant as of next May) but that’s ridiculous as they get maybe 8000 fans and the stadium holds nearly 40000.
                      Pourquoi?
                      Because national sporting achievements are all the sweeter when they are exactly that. It’s self defining isn’t it?

It truly doesn’t bother you at all that the Wallabies fielded more birth nationalities last year than the Lions did? I don’t understand your viewpoint on this at all – why not just call the Wallabies the “Australian Barbarians”

support Stade Toulousain in the French comp
                      Oi – hands off. That’s my favourite French side of many years standing. We are NOT allowed to support the same side are we?

I half expected you to support Leeds after last weekend. And yes I do like the signature, even though it has bought another week or so of my Mitchell quote for you.

*edit* I changed my mind and changed the signature just for you Finbar. Let me know if you want me to link to Wilko's full column which heaps even more praise on yer man there.
                      Last edited by Havak; September 4, 2002, 05:06.
                      It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

Very sorry to hear about the death of your former coach. From what I recall he is one of the most gentlemanly individuals you have had in the role in the last decade?
                        He was a bit of a mixed bag. After the first brain tumor was diagnosed a couple of years ago, it was realised that a lot of his, um, erratic behaviour towards the end of his Wallaby stint was due to the illness.

Because national sporting achievements are all the sweeter when they are exactly that. It’s self defining isn’t it?
                        Actually, my response was a stop-gap until I had time to research how many foreigners had donned the Pom jersey but I didn't get back to it. Be that as it may, I don't see the matter quite as literally as you do. (See below)

It truly doesn’t bother you at all that the Wallabies fielded more birth nationalities last year than the Lions did? I don’t understand your viewpoint on this at all – why not just call the Wallabies the "Australian Barbarians"
                        I'm not sure of the basis of your stats, but anyway. It's a given that I don't like luring players from other countries purely to bolster playing ranks. Given that proviso, I don't have a problem with where anyone is born, partly because a goodly percentage of this country's population was born somewhere else. Unfortunately, a goodly percentage of my red-necked countrymen don't agree with me.

Oi – hands off. That’s my favourite French side of many years standing. We are NOT allowed to support the same side are we?
                        I'd been reading poor old Tamerlin's misery, decided you'd been a millstone around the club's neck long enough, and offered my services as a supporter who will lift them.

I half expected you to support Leeds after last weekend.
                        I still haven't decided whom I'll support. Which club would have the biggest Australian influence? Probably Bath!

And yes I do like the signature, even though it has bought another week or so of my Mitchell quote for you.
                        Told you I had a soft spot for the Telegraph, reactionary bugle that it is.

*edit* I changed my mind and changed the signature just for you Finbar. Let me know if you want me to link to Wilko's full column which heaps even more praise on yer man there.
                        Sorry, my browser wouldn't accept the link, I have a crap filter installed.
                        Last edited by finbar; September 4, 2002, 08:08.

Comment

• Paul Ackford right?

Decent lock in his time but a s**** journo who always goes for sensation. And has a big chip on his shoulder about Martin who pretty much, with Timmy Rodber ended his and Wade Dooleys career IIRC.

He first wrote Jonno off after RWC 99 so I think I'll take this with a pinch of salt - particularly as the dropped on form he mentioned was when Jonno hadn't played for three weeks through suspension!

Writers eh? They make words dance to their own tune.

*edit* Hold on, Stuart Barnes writes for them too doesn't he? You didn't seriously quote wino whining Barnes to me as a serious Jounro did you Finbar 0 shame on you!

Comment

• If its ok with everyone else I think Ill start the new thread soon.

Rugby - Who me sir? What offside??
                            ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                            ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

• rugby sucks
                              "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                              I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                              Middle East!

Comment

• Originally posted by Heresson
                                rugby sucks
                                You are right, keep playing "sucker"... ooops, sorry... "soccer".

Comment

Working...
                                X