Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carlos Spencer seems to be another of those good players who struggles for AB recognition along with Byron Kellaher, etc. Spencer played some blinders for the Maori XV here a couple of months ago. If Mitchell is thinking about him for full back - where does that leave C. Cullen? On the outer, presumably, given that he wasn't holding his spot towards the end of the season.

BTW, Cal, this is the 435th post. Your new-thread-starting-trigger finger must be getting itchy. I suspect we're not going to have any trouble keeping these threads alive until November - Havak is bound to keep us up to date on the welfare of every whisker on Jonno's lanternesque jaw. What did we decide on for the next thread title? Rugby - Who? Me, Sir? Offside? was an early favourite, I recall.
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Originally posted by finbar
      Carlos Spencer seems to be another of those good players who struggles for AB recognition along with Byron Kellaher, etc. Spencer played some blinders for the Maori XV here a couple of months ago. If Mitchell is thinking about him for full back - where does that leave C. Cullen? On the outer, presumably, given that he wasn't holding his spot towards the end of the season.
      Spencer's main problem is consistency. When hes on his game he is fantastic, but Ive also seen some horrible games from him in the past. Perhaps he has matured somewhat since then. I imagine Cullen would be moved back onto the wing...

BTW, Cal, this is the 435th post. Your new-thread-starting-trigger finger must be getting itchy. I suspect we're not going to have any trouble keeping these threads alive until November - Havak is bound to keep us up to date on the welfare of every whisker on Jonno's lanternesque jaw. What did we decide on for the next thread title? Rugby - Who? Me, Sir? Offside? was an early favourite, I recall.

I was actually planning to let this thread get a bit closer to the 500 mark this time seeing as the post rate has dropped since the end of the Tri-nations. That title sounds good to me, so if everyone else is happy with it...
      ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
      ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

• Originally posted by Caligastia
        I imagine Cullen would be moved back onto the wing...
        In place of whom? I really got the impression that Cullen was on the slippery slide. And his attitude seemed to be a big part of the problem.
        " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• I like your sig Havak.
          As soon as I saw it I knew it was screaming to be a signature. And seeing Finbar’s comment I think it has life in it yet.

One of those rules that would have been impossible to implement retrospectively.
          Agreed. I am never the less all in favour of it I have to say.

Your establishment must have been mightily p*ssed off.
          I very much hope so. I didn’t mean they didn’t consider you capable physically. I meant that old and hateful English quality of snobbery. Entertain Australians at twickers old boy – the very thought of it!!
          Fortunately our game is now enjoyed by a much wider strata of socio-economic groups.

Okay you almost certainly won’t know but Tigers lost 26-13 on Saturday. That in itself did not worry me, they have lost the opening game in all four championship seasons IIRC and gone on to lose only an average of four games all season afterwards.

What did worry me was how they played. The Leeds forwards shunted the pack several times, we won almost no restart ball – theirs or ours, and we turned over possession time and time again. And sadly Tournaire was pinged several times for not going in straight and square.

Fair play to Leeds – they were up for it and played well – but even though they have strengthened their squad that was the team that held up the table last year and we should be eating them alive home and away –well okay we will destroy them at home but it is away wins that make a championship and we missed an easier one there.

Dean Richards said the dressing room felt like they had lost the European final!

I am looking for a massive improvement at home on Saturday to Harlequins (the quartered shirt lads who play in the shadow of twickers at the Stoop ground).

Not a happy Havak this morning
          It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• I understand what you are feeling Havak, the Stade Toulousain has also lost its first match away 32-17 against Perpignan. The fact they have lost is not the problem, this is also a kind of habit, the problem is that they have been unable to play. I hope we will not have the same season as the last one.
            "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• I hope not also - it is traditional for an English side to meet Toulouse in the elimination phase of the European cup.

Traditions are important.

I did not know they had lost as well - I hope it is just a minor slip for us both.

For Caligastia - NauFahu is very impressive - big and strong, he threatens the line all the time. He was very unlucky not to get a clean break when he hit the ball at speed and was clean though (and moving fast) but got judged marginally off side. I'm coming around to Finbar's view that this shouldn't be pinged - had we scored then the game might well have gone our way.
              It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Originally posted by Havak
                Not a happy Havak this morning
                :violins:

Comment

For Caligastia - NauFahu is very impressive -
                  God bless the Pacific islands, for where would New Zealand rugby be without them?

I'm coming around to Finbar's view that this shouldn't be pinged - had we scored then the game might well have gone our way.
                  Your wit becomes more dry as the weeks roll by, Havak. I've taught you well.

Comment

Traditions are important.
                    At least for us Northerners.

I did not know they had lost as well - I hope it is just a minor slip for us both.
                    I'am sure this is true for the Tigers but I'am also convinced this is not for the Stade Toulousain and that we are up for a bad season. The scrum (especially the first row) which was one of the greatest strength of the Stade is now but a shadow of its past and our forwards will suffer against many teams. Wait and see, but I'am very pessimistic.
                    "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• Your sympathy astounds me Finbar.

You have indeed had a major influence on my use of humour.

God bless the Pacific islands, for where would New Zealand rugby be without them?
                      I'm thinking right next to Wales, if you see what I mean?

At least for us Northerners.
                      The SH have some too - not least the one "we are not good at that - let's get the law changed"

is now but a shadow of its past and our forwards will suffer against many teams
                      I can't believe it - it was a fearsome pack the times I saw it. The coach and club must rectify this immediately.

Comment

• Originally posted by finbar

In place of whom? I really got the impression that Cullen was on the slippery slide. And his attitude seemed to be a big part of the problem.
                        Yeah, he might be phased out. It will be interesting to see what happens on the european tour.

Comment

• And sadly Tournaire was pinged several times for not going in straight and square.
                          Ah, that is a habit he has, yes. He seems to be always pushing "a little" sideways...
                          The scrum (especially the first row) which was one of the greatest strength of the Stade is now but a shadow of its past
                          I thought most of the front row of the Stade was hurt or somehow unavailable. This should get better as time passes. Although I agree that losing to Perpignan is a very bad thing. I wouldn't mind much if Toulouse had lost against about anyone else, but the USAP... Anyway winning at Perpignan has always been very very very difficult for everybody.
                          And Pau lost too, but it was not by much and I like Colomiers, so that is not catastrophic.
                          Clash of Civilization team member
                          (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                          web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

You have indeed had a major influence on my use of humour.
                            Ah, yes. Humour. The ultimate velvet glove.

I'm thinking right next to Wales, if you see what I mean?
                            I'd've thought a couple of hundred miles west of Wales, five hundred fathoms down.

I checked out the weekend's Zurich results. I notice one of your chaps - Mr Kay - was binned for a punch. The red card obviously doesn't exist up there either.

BTW, who are the Sharks? Which city (or town) are they? They will be strengthened when Graeme Bond turns up. As will the Saints when Mark Connors appears.

Comment

• Awww...does Australia want its share of pacific island players?

Comment

• Originally posted by Caligastia
                                Awww...does Australia want its share of pacific island players?

No thanks. We're happy with the occasional chap who wanders this way.

Comment

Working...
                                X