This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Havak
    Correction - the date mooted for the Tigers-Cursaders clash is November 30th (to catch the Crusaders, sorry I mean All Blacks, before they fly home).

This is insane - we start the defence of our European cup away in France just seven days later - not one player will put his body on the line in those circumstances?!
    Sounds like yet another pipe dream. Aren't the Wallabies over there somewhere around November 30th anyway?
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

"He who casts the first stone.." and all that. Eddie is quick to use mind games himself - and in fact that is all his moaning is here. He wants the South Africans to get riled and come out and do the biff and get penalised off the park I think?

As for mind games not working on Aussies -
      Mmmmmm. Look at the game here against the Boks.
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Yes Kronfeld is still with the Tigers – one full left season on his contract with an option for one more I believe. If his ankles hold up I’m sure he’ll take the option.
        Something I've been meaning to ask - where's Zinzan these days? There was an interview with Owen Finnegan in the paper here last week. He said Zinzan was the most complete - and effective - player he'd ever played against.

Comment

• Are we going to start betting?

Time's running out to get the bets on, guys. There's been no real discussion about margins. I reported earlier that the sports betting organisations have the Boks with starts ranging from 4 1/2 to 12 1/2. I think I suggested a 6 1/2 points start for the Boks - allowing for the Wallaby's desire to win the game, that we haven't won at Jo'burg for 39 years, et al.

So, just to get something on the table, does anyone have any argument with a 6 1/2 points start for the Boks?
          Last edited by finbar; August 16, 2002, 21:45.

Comment

As for mind games not working on Aussies -
            We shall see.

I trust you'll be putting your money where your mouth is

I let that one pass. Our lineout this season has ranged from utterly incompetent - witness Jeremy Paul, in the return game, throwing it over the back and straight to the All Black who wandered across for a try - to competent. Admittedly, Nathan Sharpe has given it some security recently, but it's still nowhere near the class it needs to be. In fact, we've had more consistent success pinching the oppo's throw, but that's only an indication of the sh*thouse standard of lineouts in general, and throwing-in in particular, in the SH at the moment.
            Whose side are you on? Its getting better...
            "Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)

Comment

• Originally posted by NeoStar
              Whose side are you on? Its getting better...
              I'm being realistic. Sometimes it's better, which, given that it's been, often, so appalling, isn't saying much. At the top level, you have to count on winning 99% of your own throws. Because the bottom line is, if you lose from your own throw, you're giving the oppo a free kick.

Are you betting?

Comment

• Fair enough - but dont be realistic this close to a game Your supposed to hype
                "Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)

Comment

• BTW - I bet 20 gold on the Wallabies to win.

Comment

• How I wish we had the player numbers and grassroots support to have such a competition here.
                    Being totally serious here it is in fact amazing that you maintain the S12 at a high standard given the situation on these fronts (okay I know Kiwis are born with a rugby ball under their arm but that isn’t the case in Aus)?

Also trying to be fair throwing seems to be a hemisphere spanning problem in the lineout at the moment - though most of us do not need to sneak onto the pitch like the AB hooker – but it was certainly the gift to the All Blacks that made me smile at that one.

I’m sure you realise that it is an aspect of the game you must get absolutely right against us?

Sounds like yet another pipe dream. Aren't the Wallabies over there somewhere around November 30th anyway?
                    You head home after your Italy game on the 23rd, and strictly speaking so should the ABs (Crusaders) who play Wales on the same day.

I know why our lads are keen – the commercial manager has told them how much money the fixture would put in club coffers, but I have to question the point of it given the timing – Crusaders will be knackered, Tigers will be conscious they don’t want injuries.

The last I heard of Zinzan he was considering joining an Irish province as forwards coach – but that fell through. I’ll have a hunt around for him in the local media.

I’ll put 20 on the Boks please. Remember you bet with your heart not your head – or is it vice versa?
                    It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Our lineout this season has ranged from utterly incompetent - witness Jeremy Paul, in the return game, throwing it over the back and straight to the All Black who wandered across for a try - to competent. Admittedly, Nathan Sharpe has given it some security recently, but it's still nowhere near the class it needs to be. In fact, we've had more consistent success pinching the oppo's throw, but that's only an indication of the sh*thouse standard of lineouts in general, and throwing-in in particular, in the SH at the moment.
                      Funny, I remember Australia's lineouts against France as being good. I am not sure the sh*t is limited to SH. But then, remember the days where you couldn't lift apartner with an opponent who was only half a meter away, when 50% win on own lineouts was commonplace... Things go better overall now, don't they?
                      [edited- I forgot a few sentences before- think faster than type]

6 1/2 points margin? Against the ABs that was 7 1/2. Does that mean everyone on this forum agrees Wallabies are weaker than ABs ?
                      Anyway I'll bet 15 on the boks.
                      Clash of Civilization team member
                      (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                      web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

• Originally posted by NeoStar
                        Fair enough - but dont be realistic this close to a game Your supposed to hype
                        In the cold, hard light of day - it gets you absolutely nowhere.

Comment

• Okay on a quick check Zinzan finally hung up his boots after a go as barbarians tour captain this May. He has been a delgate at various rugby conferences since, and in the English season writes a column for the BBC - but I can find no mention of any active club role anymore.

One of his columns for the BBC will certainly annoy Neostar - here
                          It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

Being totally serious here it is in fact amazing that you maintain the S12 at a high standard given the situation on these fronts
                            You got it right recently when you said the Wallabies have punched above their weight for years. Bear in mind, though, that 3 S12 teams (including reserves, train-on squad, etc) totals only about 75 or 80 players. OTOH, it's yet another example of Australia excelling in sport way beyond a standard you would expect from such a small population. Who knows why?

(okay I know Kiwis are born with a rugby ball under their arm but that isn’t the case in Aus)?
                            Nuh. Australian Rules footy, usually.

Also trying to be fair throwing seems to be a hemisphere spanning problem in the lineout at the moment - though most of us do not need to sneak onto the pitch like the AB hooker – but it was certainly the gift to the All Blacks that made me smile at that one.
                            Jeremy Paul has terrific potential as a hooker. He's very mobile, he's got good handling skills, he's strong - but his throwing and his temperament both suck!

I’m sure you realise that it is an aspect of the game you must get absolutely right against us?
                            That's the point I was making to NeoStar.

I have to question the point of it given the timing – Crusaders will be knackered, Tigers will be conscious they don’t want injuries.
                            I'd be surprised if it happened. Money or no money.

I’ll put 20 on the Boks please. Remember you bet with your heart not your head – or is it vice versa?
                            I don't know what you've been using thus far, but I think it's time for a swap!

Comment

• Originally posted by LDiCesare
                              Funny, I remember Australia's lineouts against France as being good.
                              That was our one good effort for the season. Sorry. Actually, I should say consistent effort. In most matches we get it right about half the time.

I am not sure the sh*t is limited to SH. But then, remember the days where you couldn't lift apartner with an opponent who was only half a meter away, when 50% win on own lineouts was commonplace... Things go better overall now, don't they?
                              I think the point it is that lineouts should be a lot better these days with lifting? I don't know about the NH, but it's been terrible in the SH this season, particularly in the internationals.

6 1/2 points margin? Against the ABs that was 7 1/2. Does that mean everyone on this forum agrees Wallabies are weaker than ABs ?
                              *cough cough* The Boks did better than expected against the ABs, and the Wallabies haven't beaten the Boks in Jo'burg for 43 years. Maybe the Boks should be favourites!

Anyway I'll bet 15 on the boks.
                              Got it.

Comment

Okay on a quick check Zinzan finally hung up his boots after a go as barbarians tour captain this May. He has been a delgate at various rugby conferences since, and in the English season writes a column for the BBC - but I can find no mention of any active club role anymore.
                                He must be a decent age now, I guess. I recall he was a very astute chap, apart from a great player. I think he worked as a Town Planner or something.

One of his columns for the BBC will certainly annoy Neostar - here
                                I think it could equally be said that most things NeoStar writes here would annoy the crap out of Zinzan.

Comment

Working...
                                X