This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by finbar
    Look on the bright side, NS, you've given us something with which to fill in the dull bit of the week - by which I mean, Sunday to Friday.

We need more controversy! You're starting the scare me though with this synchronised swimming stuff...

Originally posted by finbar
    Good grief, man, just stop watching it! Which state are you in? If you're in NSW, you can watch the Sydney club games on the ABC on Saturday arvo. They're good fun.
    Of course Im in NSW - how else would I be so influenced by l****? Im not far from Parra so it's everywhere!

Sydney club games, eh? Im might just have a look if the times are right...

It's only about $12 a week depending on which channels you want. You should be aware, though, that they do show a sh*tload of the L-word.
    Im working on it. Should have by the end of the year.

Now back to Union - what are the margins going to be, Finbar?

EDIT - Oops, you posted them above

The Boks are getting the points start
    good'o
    Last edited by NeoStar; August 15, 2002, 20:44.
    "Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)

Comment

• Originally posted by NeoStar
      Of course Im in NSW - how else would I be so influenced by l****? Im not far from Parra so it's everywhere!
      Well, you could've been in ... Queensland. Sorry. That's the lowest blow of all.

Sydney club games, eh? Im might just have a look if the times are right...
      ABC TV, Saturday arvo, around 3pm. Jimmy Maxwell calls the games. It's real club rugby. Some inspired stuff in amongst some real clangers.

Im working on it. Should have by the end of the year.
      Your only problem might be cabling. Foxtel and Optus were forced to stop rolling out their cables by some of the local councils. If it ain't in your street, you won't get it unless you opt for satellite.

Now back to Union - what are the margins going to be, Finbar?
      I've been giving it a lot of thought. In between worrying about Boris getting his own surname wrong. There's a lot to take into account:

1. We haven't won at Jo'burg since 1963, and there have been a few Wallaby teams better than this one in that losing lot;

2. I'm not really sure how much altitude will be a factor now that the sports medicine people have been doing their analyses. The theory used to be that you went to the altitude venue a week prior to the game and trained to acclimatise yourself. Now the sports medicine people say you can't acclimatise for such an energetic game as rugby within a week. Now they say it's more important to overcome the jetlag, train under normal conditions - in this case, at Durban - then head for the altitude the day before;

3. A lot depends on the Boks' attitude. They might come out as they did against the ABs and play rugby. They might come out as they did against us the first time and give away penalties wholesale. If the former, it could be a high-scoring game. The latter, and it's advantage Wallabies.

All up ... I'd give the Boks 6 1/2 points start.
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Well, you could've been in ... Queensland. Sorry. That's the lowest blow of all.

It may not be the lowest. I met a bloke from Tasmania once ... bloody hell. All he had was a vague idea of cricket.

ABC TV, Saturday arvo, around 3pm. Jimmy Maxwell calls the games. It's real club rugby. Some inspired stuff in amongst some real clangers.

Your only problem might be cabling. Foxtel and Optus were forced to stop rolling out their cables by some of the local councils. If it ain't in your street, you won't get it unless you opt for satellite.
        Nah - thats why Im planning. My area has recently got Foxtel, they were stuffing all these bloody leaflets into the mailbox.

2. I'm not really sure how much altitude will be a factor now that the sports medicine people have been doing their analyses. The theory used to be that you went to the altitude venue a week prior to the game and trained to acclimatise yourself. Now the sports medicine people say you can't acclimatise for such an energetic game as rugby within a week. Now they say it's more important to overcome the jetlag, train under normal conditions - in this case, at Durban - then head for the altitude the day before;
        I really dont count on it being that bad. The differences are suttle and though the other team is more used to it they get effected too. Some of the things sports medicine people come up with are absolute jokes, but jetlag is an issue.

3. A lot depends on the Boks' attitude. They might come out as they did against the ABs and play rugby. They might come out as they did against us the first time and give away penalties wholesale. If the former, it could be a high-scoring game. The latter, and it's advantage Wallabies.

All up ... I'd give the Boks 6 1/2 points start.
        That sounds right. Don't count on the Boks doing anything stupid - as I mentioned earlier they are fighting to prevent a whitewash and SA pride has been dented enough recently.
        "Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)

Comment

Yeah, he's a sicko, all right. I was thinking a sentence of watching synchronised swimming (with the gels in neck-to-knees) for 24 hours straight might be more appropriate.
          This is a very harsh sentence, I wonder if someone can survive to this, but it's a fair one.

In case of a repetition of the offense we will shift to figure skating for 24 hours straight.
          "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• Originally posted by Tamerlin
            In case of a repetition of the offense we will shift to figure skating for 24 hours straight.
            But only if the girls are wearing tracksuits!

PS. Tamerlin - it's way past your bedtime! Go to bed!
            " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
            "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

PS. Tamerlin - it's way past your bedtime! Go to bed!
              I really don't like to go to bed early.
              "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• I advise against any of you visiting the AFL thread. That bloke Lung has made a disturbing claim

And BTW - the 'fan; who attacked McHugh will NOT be attending the Wallabies vs Springbok game, his lawyer just gave the authorities that assurance.

That's the end of that Still... wouldn't have minded seeing Owen Finegan or Justin Harrison taking a few swings at him

Comment

• Hopefully I will have some idea of what youre talking about after seeing a couple of games
                  Then again knowing me you may not still

Yes Kronfeld is still with the Tigers – one full left season on his contract with an option for one more I believe. If his ankles hold up I’m sure he’ll take the option.

I remember you said there is no semi-final or final though. Its whoever finishes at the top of the table who wins in this case, right
                  Yes – basically. Finbars summary was pretty accurate – we have no provincial sides involved but City/Town clubs. Having said that there are S12 similarities. The Premiership is twelve teams and technically has one relegation spot. However the team coming up into it must pass exhaustive critieria and last season did not do so – so the twelve this year are the same twelve as last year.

A League stage takes place between September and May of 22 games (each side home and away) and the team that tops the table at the end of that are ‘League Champions’ and ‘English Champion club’ (plus 2nd seed status for Europe). Once the final table standings are known a separate S12 style elimination tournament starts between the top 8 (1v8, 2v7, 3v6, 4v5 them semis and a final) for a separate trophy. Most sides treat this as a tertiary competition – the only major benefit it carries is top seeding for the European cup next season (unless like this year the trophy is retained by another English club as the holders get protected top seed status). The sponsors originally saw it as the S12 style primary competition but English fans revolted en masse – as I have previously mentioned we hold greater store in the league stage (so for us brumbies would not have deserved a shot at the title for being so inconsistent).

Spread across the season are the European competitions – the cup (essentially the premier competition) and shield (where any Premiership team not qualifying for the cup takes part). The European cup has grown into being the top trophy for all UK clubs, not just English. As Tamerlin will tell you it has been in UK hands since 1998.

Our points system in the Premiership matches S12 I think – 4 for a win, 2 for a draw, a bonus point for four or more tries and a bonus point for losing by seven or less?

You know, I can almost feel Finbar falling asleep…

the Aussie line out is showing good signs.

Oh that’s a classic. Has this truly looked that strong without Eales and Giffen?

They certainly have a chance of victory IMO.
                  Well quite – and a very good chance too. Lets not fall into this trap of swallowing the Aussie hype – an unconvincing win over the Boks at home and an admittedly well ground out but narrow as hell sneak against the ABs does not instantly suggest they can bury the Boks away does it? Be honest?

I can't imagine when they're going to schedule it with the ABs touring at the end of the year.
                  February is again mooted – and apparently the Tigers boys are really keen. After all with Kronfeld, Back, Moody and Corry to draw on there’s a pretty good chance they will disrupt the link between Marshall and Merhtens?
                  It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Correction - the date mooted for the Tigers-Cursaders clash is November 30th (to catch the Crusaders, sorry I mean All Blacks, before they fly home).

This is insane - we start the defence of our European cup away in France just seven days later - not one player will put his body on the line in those circumstances?!
                    It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Tamerlin will tell you it has been in UK hands since 1998
                      That is a very low blow. Considering UK makes about three teams in four in the competition, there is nothing extraordinary here. Considering the non-UK non-French clubs are Italian, and they never managed to get past the preliminary phase, well... Toulouse and Brive won the cup the first years. Probably Toulouse or Biarritz will make something out of that cup this year.

Now if you believe the description of the English championship is boring, be careful. I could try to find out the current French championship formula and impose it unto you all. I could also show what it was like one year ago, two years ago and three years ago so you could enjoy the differences. Basically last year there was a first phase which led to a second phase which led to direct elimination matches. Which means lots of matches for the clubs, particularly when you add up the European cup and whatever cups/challenges the clubs decide to play. I no longer hear about the Challenge Yves-du-Manoir, renamed France Cup, but it may still be around to ensure our players play enough matches in a season to get hurt at the end.
                      Clash of Civilization team member
                      (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                      web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

• That is a very low blow
                        It actually was not meant ot be. It was simply a statement of fact.

Had I meant to make a low blow I would have ignored Ulsters win in 1999 and simply said English sides have won it four out of the last five times - and as you know England and France have an equal number of clubs taking part every year.

You are quite right - factor in Wales, Scotland and Ireland and the number of UK clubs massively outweighs the French participants. Given that no Scottish or Welsh side have ever won it, and that the Irish have to organise into provinces (just like S12) simply to compete I think it's fair to say the two power houses taking part are England and France? And at the moment English clubs seem to have the upper hand.

Surely you don't mind me pointing that out? After all you have got the Grand Slam in the trophy cabinet.

Comment

• Jones has spoken out about the rough treatment SA have been slapping on the Wallabies - they had to train on a sub standard field, the South African Rugby Football Union officials have been knee deep in the Ben Tune affair and Rudolf Straeuli with his nonstop criticism.

Who cares about these stupid little mindgames. These things dont work on Australians.

Make us train on some old, derelict field, eh? Well, we'll happily buy Ellis Park off you with a barrage of tries.

Comment

• Who cares about these stupid little mindgames. These things dont work on Australians.
                            "He who casts the first stone.." and all that. Eddie is quick to use mind games himself - and in fact that is all his moaning is here. He wants the South Africans to get riled and come out and do the biff and get penalised off the park I think?

As for mind games not working on Aussies -

Comment

• Originally posted by Havak
                              Given that no Scottish or Welsh side have ever won it, and that the Irish have to organise into provinces (just like S12) simply to compete I think it's fair to say the two power houses taking part are England and France? And at the moment English clubs seem to have the upper hand.
                              In terms of clubs yes, but I think that Ireland organization in provinces makes a lot of sense. Considering their country size and scattered population, how many city/town clubs would thay have? I think the provinces stuff fits Ireland perfectly and one cannot dismiss them.
                              I also think our French and your English clubs draw from a region somehow. Toulouse for instance draws players from quite far, and has supporters in the whole region (about all the cities around it excpet Colomiers I would bet), the Biarritz Olympique has been renamed to encompass the Pays Basque in its name, and indeed draws players and supporters from the whole pays basque and Landes. I am quite sure that all Leicester fans don't live in Leicester but in all Leicestershire?
                              Clash of Civilization team member
                              (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                              web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

• Originally posted by Havak
                                You know, I can almost feel Finbar falling asleep…
                                Quite the contrary. How I wish we had the player numbers and grassroots support to have such a competition here.

Oh that’s a classic. Has this truly looked that strong without Eales and Giffen?
                                I let that one pass. Our lineout this season has ranged from utterly incompetent - witness Jeremy Paul, in the return game, throwing it over the back and straight to the All Black who wandered across for a try - to competent. Admittedly, Nathan Sharpe has given it some security recently, but it's still nowhere near the class it needs to be. In fact, we've had more consistent success pinching the oppo's throw, but that's only an indication of the sh*thouse standard of lineouts in general, and throwing-in in particular, in the SH at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                                X