United States Accused Of Desablizing Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what a heap of sh*t this story is...

who the hell is mike elliott? i'm australian, i follow politics for a hobby, and i've never heard of the guy...shows how important he is

and on stott despoja...
    she just hasn't been given a go

from the moment she took over, the media bashed her
    she was the only one of the democrat sheep to speak up against the GST, and if she hadn't deposed Lees, I suspect the party would have taken a much greater bashing at the last election.

Lees is a grudge-holding, pathetic woman afraid to lose her power.

Comment

Re: Back on topic

Originally posted by CICSMaster
      I also hope that some way is found to ensure that the Upper house (the Senate - something Roman about that, I always expect to see the honourable senators in Toga's) does not imped the legislation of the Lower house (the Representatives
      Why not just abolish it then? If the senate can't function as a chamber of review then it's nothing more then a waste of money.

Personally, I like the Senate. While this may be becuase the party I hate is currently in power and the senate acts to block it's worst luncacies, I'd like to think that I'd have the same opinion if Labor was in power. Electroral dictatorship isn't a good thing IMO [look where it got New Zealand!]
      'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
      - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

We've got a functionally unicameral legislature+executive where I'm from too...
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Re: Re: Back on topic

Originally posted by Case
          Why not just abolish it then? If the senate can't function as a chamber of review then it's nothing more then a waste of money.
          It can't be abolished until the people are protected from the government by a constitution that puts people before government.

That is why the Government will probably never have control of the Senate again. People don't trust the Government to protect their rights.

Besides to abolish it, it would require a referendum. And that can only happen if it passes both houses of parliament. Can you imagine the senators voting to abolish their jobs.

The Senate is not broken. It's just disfunctional.

Comment

Which is as it should be.

BTW, if nobody fixes the title of this thread soon, I'm going to have to start going on about anti-fur campaigns.
            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

What?

Dysfunctional or Broken?

Comment

"Just to raise the signal to noise ratio of this thread, and to prevent our American Bretheren from completely overrunning the conversation with their inane drivel about the politics of a typical "think tank" organization on their beltway."

It's not on the beltway. Actually, it's on the outskirts of a rough neighborhood downtown.

I'm curious. Are think tanks politically influential in other countries? The CATO Institute is much more influential than the numbers of libertarians would indicate.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Think Tank Effectiveness

I Aus. I don't think they are as "effective" as in the U.S. of A.

But it depends on your definition of effective.
                  In Aus. all sorts of groups generally get TV time, if the media thinks that they have something controversial and therefore "new worthy".

Generally, when some topic, for example the middle east, comes up, there are think tanks that will make spokesmen available to answer questions and push thier views (the think tanks, not the spokesman).

We have Military TT's, Political - affiliated with political parties, environmental, business, economic the whole gamut.

I have not heard of them lobbying Government or Parliamentary/Senatorial members, however, the Government does commission papers from a broad range of TT's.

Comment

Working...
                  X