No announcement yet.

Computers: Build or Buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asher you are babbling off again... all your opinion....

And most institutions and governmental agencies buy intel? Am I missing something? The State Department certainly does not.
    For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

• A lot of them just don't want to deal with the problems like if the fans failed.

It's the little things like Intel's built-in protection against CPU overheating that can put them over the edge compared with AMD.

Corporations look at this feature list, see Intel as being pricier but having more reliability features, and as well as the proven background.
      They look at AMD, they see an incomplete safety feature list, they see a spotty track record and an unstable company financially.

And a lot of times, AMDs aren't even cheaper. Intel gives big, big discounts to major OEMs and organizations who buy their chips, AMD doesn't do so. They basically sell the major OEMs the prices for the same prices as they do the consumer on the street. That's why the "enthusiasts" are so happy with AMD.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• fez, no offence the 'best of the best' these days is Intel, now the question the most 'bang for your buck' is arguable, but if monies no object......

Comment

• Originally posted by Fez
          Asher you are babbling off again... all your opinion....

And most institutions and governmental agencies buy intel? Am I missing something? The State Department certainly does not.
          Look at stuff like ASCI Red -- these are billion dollar+ supercomputers. They're done by people like Intel and IBM, not AMD. AMD's just not "up there" in reliability, at least reputation wise.

And yeah, most institutions and government agencies buy Intel. Look around.

I know one specific oil giant in particular which just replaced all 60,000 of their desktop computers in the world (P2 266s) with Pentium 4 1.8s.

Not AMD.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• Intel this, Intel that. Wrongo. The State Department has moved to AMD in the past few years... AMD is cheaper for them....

Asher quite bull****ing and stop this nonsense.
            For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

• Originally posted by Fez
              Intel this, Intel that. Wrongo. The State Department has moved to AMD in the past few years... AMD is cheaper for them....

Asher quite bull****ing and stop this nonsense.
              I would urge you to go look at the financial reports for AMD and Intel.

Look at the huge slice of the market Intel gets from corporations and OEMs. Compare that to AMD's.

AMD gets most of their money from the small-time computer companies and enthusiasts, people who benefit from their low pricing. OEMs and giant organizations already get that low pricing from Intel.

Why do you think Microsoft cut AMD out of the Xbox deal and replaced them with Intel?

Comment

• *takes a few sleeping pills*

"I am sick and tired of this babbling"

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher

Why do you think Microsoft cut AMD out of the Xbox deal and replaced them with Intel?
                  i'd always wondered that, they could have cut $50 off the retail price, i'd assumed it was a heating problem (ie the Xbox being sandwiched inbetween the VCR and the sattelite reciever with bad ventilation)

Comment

• Intel undercut AMD on pricing, and won out on heating concern, as there was less liability associated with it.

Not only could they get away with a mere heatsink on a Pentium III, but they could reduce the risk of fire (or anything of that sort) due to the Pentium III's built in overheating protection.

It also helped that Intel has far better assembly lines (AMD can't seem to figure out how to get to 0.13 properly) with more capacity.

Comment

• BTW, the Pentium III chip in the Xbox cost $29 per box for MS to buy.

Pretty amazing, isn't it? It was one of the cheapest components of the thing.

The price will drop further once they switch from 0.18 to 0.13 and shrink it down.

Comment

• Cheap as in crap? Just kidding Asher... I am kinda tired so I won't harass you about intel anymore....

Comment

• I've created a monster.

Comment

• Originally posted by Verto
                            I've created a monster.

My thoughts: Be poor, buy AMD!
                            This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Working...
                            X