Computers: Build or Buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computers: Build or Buy?

I've owned and used several computers, 2 Compaqs, an HP and a Pionex, and I just built a new one. I am MUCH happier with it, and I want to know how everyone else likes theirs. I have a 1.3 Ghz AMD, 256 DDR RAM, Geforce4 64 mb vid card and a 50x cd drive, and I'm using Windows XP.

These are roughly the same specs as my Compaq, although my Compaq lacked a real video and sound card, and it had SDRAM instead of DDR.
    Bought it.
    28.95%
    Built it.
    71.05%
    I don't have a computer. I'm at the library.
    0.00%

Depends who you buy it from.

You'll almost always save money building your own computer, providing nothing goes horribly wrong with it.

I build computers at work for people, and I'm sure they're far happier with those than they would be if they built it themselves. But it's not like this is a major OEM computer like Compaq or Dell or HP.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I built mine. The only computers I would consider buying are those from companies like Falcon and AlienWare. They not only use all the best components (which I do) but they get all the right drivers and get everything working (which I don't).
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Hmm... building is not always cheaper. It really isn't if you haven't got the time to look for the parts (which was the case last time I built a computer), but it certainly gives you the ultimate in customization, which you can't get from a bought computer. Not only that, but it helps you know stuff about computer that allows you to upgrade it instead of buying a new computer.
        "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
        -Joan Robinson

Comment

A little of both - I bought my computer from a 'clone' shop, and have since upgraded it so much that it is nearly a new computer. I'll probably just keep upgrading it a bit at a time instead of buying a new one... atleast, for the forseeable future.
          Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I build with the best of the best. I don't ever, I mean ever skimp on a part. I buy the best I can with the money I am allowed to spend. I buy the best. Building is always cheaper then buying a full computer... sometimes it may seem more but that is because companies like Dell and HPQ pack a bunch of crappy pieces into their machines.

The first computer my dad bought for me was built at a small computer store when I used to live in San Diego.
            For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

If you built with the best of the best, why did you build with an AMD?
              What brand of RAM did you use?
              What motherboard make & chipsets?
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                If you built with the best of the best, why did you build with an AMD?
                Because AMD is quality, and I wouldn't to spend my money on crap, now would I?

What brand of RAM did you use?
                Kingston and Samsung.

What motherboard make & chipsets?
                KT-333 I am sure and Gigabyte.
                For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

I prefer building it myself. Having more control over what goes into it is important. And I don't want to be paying for a package whose price is bumped up because of bundled software I'm not even going to use.
                  "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
                  "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
                  "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Fez
                    Because AMD is quality, and I wouldn't to spend my money on crap, now would I?
                    AMD is not quality, AMD is cheap.
                    They have only 256K of L2 cache (this will matter more in upcoming games), they have only a 266MHz system bus, they're capable of frying themselves quite easily.

Intel is faster and better quality, it's just considerably more expensive. Intel is the best of the best.

KT-333 I am sure and Gigabyte.
                    So you got a KT333 board without CPU Overheating Protection. I hope that doesn't matter much to you.

My Athlon XP system is also a KT333 board, but the Asus A7V333. It's more exensive than the Gigabyte, but it's the best of the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

AMD is not quality, AMD is cheap.
                      AMD IS QUALITY. Because I say so.

They have only 256K of L2 cache (this will matter more in upcoming games), they have only a 266MHz system bus, they're capable of frying themselves quite easily.
                      You are just biased in favor of Intel, well wake up and smell the coffee I am not. You cannot do **** about that.

Intel is faster and better quality, it's just considerably more expensive. Intel is the best of the best.
                      Intel sucks for me. I don't like it. And quick pushing me the hell around, I am not in the good mood.

So you got a KT333 board without CPU Overheating Protection. I hope that doesn't matter much to you.
                      How do you know I didn't you smart arse?

My Athlon XP system is also a KT333 board, but the Asus A7V333. It's more exensive than the Gigabyte, but it's the best of the best.
                      Gigabyte is a hell lot better.

Quick being a smart ass and leave me the heck alone.

Comment

Helllooooo, somebody got up on the wrong side of the bed.

Fez, look, I build high end computers. AMD is cheap, Intel is the best of the best.

Performance wise, feature wise, reliability wise. The only area where AMD has the upper hand is cost, which doesn't really concern people buying the best of the best, does it?

How do you know I didn't you smart arse?
                        Because the Gigabyte boards don't come with COP, that's how I know.

Gigabyte is a hell lot better.
                        Better as in cheaper, yes.
                        Better as in better, no.

Comment

Look. I am not in the mood for this. I just had a nail go up right in my foot.

AMD is the best because I damn well please to say so you cannot do crap about what I say.

Performance wise my arse, feature wise my arse, reliability wise my arse.

You are wrong about Gigabyte boards. They have the best quality and performance out of all boards and have been rated to most reliable.

Comment

Better as in cheaper, yes.
                            Better as in better, no.
                            WRONGO.

Better as in better, hell yes. Better performance and better reliability. I went through three ASUS, one Soyo, two Leadteks, three Shuttles.... and am still have been using this Gigabyte with no problems...

BTW, you are wrong about me... I have been building dozens of computers for people returning favors.

Comment

Okie Gianny, you're the boss.

What the hell do I know, anyway, I can't compete with your Aregentinian know-how.

Comment

Working...
                              X