Mohammed in Hell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mohammed in Hell

Recently in Italy there has been a controversy over a 15th century Fresco depicting the Islamic prophet Mohammed in Hell being devoured by demons- the painting is in a Catholic church. Italian muslims have campaigned vigorously to remove this, and so far have unsucsessfully appealed to the Vatican to get rid of the painting.

I can see two sides to this one- one on hand it is deeply offensive to a large group of people and in this age that already has too much religious strife it might not be good to have such paintings around. OTOH, it is art, and moreover it is a historical artifact. And just because we might not like this doesn't mean it's bad art or that others won't like it?

So, should the Italian muslims get their way and the painting be removed?
    I am a Christian and I say yes.
    9.52%
    I am a Christian and I say no.
    16.67%
    I am a Christian and I say banana.
    5.95%
    I am of a non-christian religion and I say yes
    2.38%
    I am of a non-christian religion and I say no
    5.95%
    I am of a non-christian religion and I say banana
    1.19%
    I am an atheist or agnostic and I say yes
    7.14%
    I am an atheist or agnostic and I say no
    35.71%
    I am an atheist or agnostic and I say banana
    15.48%
    "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

ROFLMAO, well I can say I think he is here actually... so they should keep the painting.
    "Our words are backed with NUCLEAR WEAPONS!"​​

Comment

I am an atheist and I say BANANA. Hehehe... now seriously I say I am not sure....
      For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

It should be removed, and possibly relocated into a museum, and exhibited with other pagan artifacts.
        Poor silly humans. A temporarily stable pattern of matter and energy stumbles upon self-cognizance for a moment, and suddenly it thinks the whole universe was created for its benefit. -- mbelleroff

Comment

Atheist banana. It's all lunacy to me.
          What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?

Comment

I just realize I selected the wrong choice in the poll.... oh well... I guess it reflect my ambivalent nature.
            "Our words are backed with NUCLEAR WEAPONS!"​​

Comment

Since It's in a church I don't think it's a good enough reason as it's hardly something they see every day. I don't like christianity or any religion and you don't see me going around and advocating the removal of religious symbols from churches and mosques. not that anyone would listen to me, as usual.

Comment

I'm atheist and say they shall not remove it. Maybe it's because I'm historian.

They could possibly put a plate beneath the fresco, saying that the painting represents historical, medieval thinking and not that of today's people.

But beside that: What's so wrong about it? I mean, we all know that most Christians have Mohammed in hell, it's almost inherent in Christianity...
                "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Offcourse the picture should stay right where it is.

The muslims have had there fun of detruction of other religions icons in Afghanistan lately, I say they should stay quiet for another millinium or so.

(I just hope the muslim world is just going through this stage of destruction of statues and the like, so they will arrive eventually at the Age of Enlightment..)

"post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                  "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Originally posted by germanos
                    Offcourse the picture should stay right where it is.

The muslims have had there fun of detruction of other religions icons in Afghanistan lately, I say they should stay quiet for another millinium or so.

(I just hope the muslim world is just going through this stage of destruction of statues and the like, so they will arrive eventually at the Age of Enlightment..)

This reminds me of a nice theory concerning religions...

This theory sasy that every religion, like the average teenager, when becoming 14(centuries) old enters it's age of death and destruction.

The Jews were busy with killing each other instead of fighting an enemy, thus losing more than a million men in the war against Rome. For the Christianity, there were the crusades. And now, it's the turn of the Islam, and we're witnessing only the beginning.
                    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Originally posted by Eli

This theory sasy that every religion, like the average teenager, when becoming 14(centuries) old enters it's age of death and destruction.

The Jews were busy with killing each other instead of fighting an enemy, thus losing more than a million men in the war against Rome. For the Christianity, there were the crusades. And now, it's the turn of the Islam, and we're witnessing only the beginning.
                      hey...... that does sorta make sense....!
                      Poor silly humans. A temporarily stable pattern of matter and energy stumbles upon self-cognizance for a moment, and suddenly it thinks the whole universe was created for its benefit. -- mbelleroff

Comment

Germanos, your sig says :
                        Eli for President !

"Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

but to the previous point: perhaps 12-1400 years is enough time for a religion to spread to a few places, experience some glory and power, decline, and then slide away into the former-superpower-getting-very-bitter stage.

Does that mean that by 3300 we'll be seeing Scientologist terrorist organizations?

Comment

haven't seen it

but any picture with demons in it must be cool

Comment

Originally posted by Eli

A simple thought about when the First Crusade occured shows that just a bit off.

Comment

Working...
                              X