Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Which Computer Brand

Originally posted by Tis I
    In about a month, I'll be buying a new computer for college or rather my parents will be buying one for me.

I'm looking for something around:

2.2 mhz P4
    512 Ram (DDR or RD)
    80gig or better hardrive
    64 meg video card or better.

I need some advice on which computer companies are most reliable and cheaper. Currently i'm looking at Gateway and Dell.

Also should i shoot for DDR or RD ram?
    hi ,

go Apple , alias Mac , .....

have a nice day
    - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
    - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
    WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Buy ban Hangyvenzenyl Armouries

or build your own and blame on me anyway. Thats what I do.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Anunikoba
        Yeah. For a while, their support seemed to go to sh|t. But I have been hearing good things about them again.

But all the same, I will always build my own, and they will most likely have DDR.
        My 2 year old Dell P991 monitor was acting up a bit over a month ago. Weird lines across the screen. I called Dell up, told them about it, they said they'd ship out a new monitor to me "by next week" and I could return my old monitor to them in that box, and they included a packing slip so I wouldn't need to pay to ship the monitor.

Anyway, the monitor literally came the next morning (all the way from Ontario), and this one works perfectly.

I've had nothing but great experiences when I've dealt with Dell. I've got some great horror stories to share with you about Gateway (back when it was Gateway 2000 though), HP, IBM, and especially Creative Labs.

There are always exceptions to the rule, and some people are taking some stories of the odd customer being upset by Dell's support and blowing it into a big "the sky is falling!" type situation.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Get a Mac, you know you want to.
          What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?

Comment

how much cheaper is it to put together yourself? and what components would you need to buy?

lets see.... motherboard, sound card, video card, HD, floppy drive, cd-rom, RAM, processor...
            I'm 49% Apathetic, 23% Indifferent, 46% Redundant, 26% Repetative and 45% Mathetically Deficient.

Comment

go with Dell, dirt cheap...but you'll pay through the nose for support
              "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
              You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

It's actually sometimes cheaper to get high end Intel systems through an OEM like Dell.

Dell gets insane prices on high end Pentium 4s, far less than you'd pay if you bought the component yourself.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Caesar the Great
                  lets see.... motherboard, sound card, video card, HD, floppy drive, cd-rom, RAM, processor...
                  That's all you need, except maybe for a modem/ethernet card.

Oh, and you'd need a case aswell... obviously.
                  Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

perhaps a monitor hahaha
                    I'm 49% Apathetic, 23% Indifferent, 46% Redundant, 26% Repetative and 45% Mathetically Deficient.

Comment

Originally posted by Osweld
                      That's all you need, except maybe for a modem/ethernet card.
                      Yeah, it's not like you need a useless power supply or case or monitor anyway.

Comment

power source... good call... and where could i buy a case?

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

Yeah, it's not like you need a useless power supply or case anyway.

Already edited.
                          Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by Osweld
                            Already edited.
                            Your edit was slick but I was too fast for it.

Suck on it, Ossy.

Comment

i've screwed around with computers long enough to know where most of the stuff goes.... where could i buy all that stuff? it would be an interesting summer project putting together a computer

Comment

Look around for local computer flyers...

In my city www.firestorm.ab.ca and www.memoryexpress.com sell great components for cheap, and even build it for you for like $50.

Comment

Working...
                                X