No announcement yet.

Which Computer Brand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My father works for Compaq. He is a Quality Engineer. That basically means auditor. He does do one other thing that isn't totally auditing: setting up teleconferences about auditing.

I do not like him at all.

Just don't buy Compaq.
    "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
    "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
    "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
    "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Dude, get a Dell.

I mean, the lack of hassle alone (I selected my options over the phone with the sexy-voiced Ben in about 20 minutes, and then got my computer 5 days later) is worth any extra cost you might incur over building it yourself. And the warranty issue alone is enough to make you want to with a Dell. You get lifetime phone support, and can get a 3-year full service warranty. It costs, but will it be worth it to have to take every little part you get back to the dealer and hassle over replacements?

Plus, with Dell you're pretty much assured of compatability with most software products. Look at Civ 3's compatibility issues. Never had a single problem with the game on my Dell.

Plus, through Dell.com you can get good deals, and you can search the web for extra coupons. I combined a bunch of deals and coupons that effectively lopped $200 off the price of my machine. Free shipping was undoubtedly the best offer (saving $100 alone).

Dell Dell Dell Dell

You KNOW you want to...hehehehe
      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Dell's not perfect. There's a known issue for the Dimension 4100s and newer soundcards liks the SoundBlaster Audigy that results in the SQUEAL OF DEATH. I know this first hand.

A BIOS upgrade is supposed to fix it.

I would also recommend Voodoo if you want the fastest gaming machines on Earth, but they'll cost you a pretty penny (not that I'm biased or anything )
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

No system is perfect, goes without saying. But that's what's good about Dell...there customer support is really good compared to anyone else.

I got the 4400. Any known issues with that?
          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Yeah, they've already patched the 4400 BIOS for the Audigy issue.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

The last time I priced a machine from dell that was similar to what I built it was almost double the cost.

EDIT: Just looked a similar machine to what I'm building after I move (at about $1100). It was about $1700 but with not as good sound card, unknown MB manufacturer and specs, unknown HD manufacturer and specs, not as good monitor. On the other hand it was a P4 where I prefer AMD.
              Last edited by SpencerH; June 13, 2002, 21:08.
              We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
              If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
              Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Maybe its HP with the special set up discs rather than an original win OS.
                We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

I'll bring in a third vote for apple.
                  "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                  Drake Tungsten
                  "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                  Albert Speer

Comment

Apple's great if you want to pay more and get less, but have a nice annoying flashy interface.

Comment

ok i have a really stupid question, to all of you saying to build your own computer are you adding in the cost of windows and office? i was all ready to build myself a new system then saw how much those would cost and i just decided to wait

Comment

This is ridiculus. Building your own top-end system is not cheaper than getting a Dell. I'm pretty sure it's about $3500 for all the best parts, plus WinXP, plus Office Pro, plus extended warrenty and complete care....if that much money. Building your own system would easily run that much just for the components (my guess).

The top-end laptop is now about $3800 with all the extras, I believe. Incidentally, they get the highest 3D marks of all laptops at this point, up to 5650 or so 3DMarks (w/ 3rd party drivers and some tweaking).

Top end PC's with tweaking btw, go up to almost 15K 3DMarks, I believe, just for comparisons. ...and I know no other way to benchmark PC's. =-/

Comment

Oh yea, I forgot, I had a screen in my laptop go bad, and Dell replaced it within in the week. I have CompleteCare w/ Onsite techies, so they had someone come out and install it for me.

I'll say this just in case...if you're going to get a laptop, for the love of god, get an Inspiron 8200.

Comment

the cost of windows and office

The... cost... ??

I wouldn't trust a company enough to build a computer for me. But thats just me (and a large number of others who posted here)
                            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I'm fairly happy with my 4-year old Dell (well, as happy as one can be with a 4 year old computer).
                              "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                              -Bokonon

Comment

Damn. What's in that puppy? Were you at one point eyeing an MMX enabled cpu for that bad boy? ...I remember doing that.

edit: I wanted to go from a Pentium 133 to a Pentium 200 MMX or something for like $200.

Comment

Working...
                                X