Which Computer Brand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asher
    Apple's great if you want to pay more and get less, but have a nice annoying flashy interface.
    I guess we now know that Asher's Anti-apple threshold is three posts. I would have bet on one, but I guess all his scraps with KH lately took a lot out of him.
    What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?

Comment

OEMs can be good for high end systems. I recently did a deal with a friend to pull all the good parts out of his HP, pay half, and replace them with cheap parts .
      Grrr | Pieter Lootsma | Hamilton, NZ | grrr@orcon.net.nz
      Waikato University, Hamilton.

Comment

Yeah I have a Dell and their support is pretty good - my power supply died a couple of months ago and they replaced it pretty fast once the problem was identified. Now the modem just died and we'll se how they go.

But what about Comps that run AMD chips like Compaq? I've heard AMD chips sh*t on pentiums these days. I'm considering switching for my next comp.
        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

I've heard AMD chips sh*t on pentiums these days. I'm considering switching for my next comp.
          That was six months ago. When Intell switched to the 130 nanometer tech they overtook AMD. AMD is faster per clock cycle but they have fallen pretty far behind on frequency now. AMD has a lot bang for the buck but they really need to get their speed up to get even on power again.

Comment

Even worse is AMD just unveiled its 130 nanometer tech, and it totally sucks. Their new 0.13 chips can't overclock any better than their old 0.18 chips.

And since their heat dissipation isn't much better, and since the chip is so much smaller, it's got less surface area to make contact with the heatsink which is a major problem...
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Typical. When was buying a comp a lot of people said get one with an AMD chip

But I went for the Pentium
              Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Apple's great if you want to pay more and get less, but have a nice annoying flashy interface.
                Or do any kind of serious design work at all.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnIII
                  Or do any kind of serious design work at all.
                  Yes, because we all know that the outdated and bottlenecked Apple hardware is inherently superior for serious design work, what with the 1GB/s memory bandwidth (compared to 4.2GB/s on the PC), ATA/66 harddrives, and the outdated G4s....

And then there's their OS which is BSD + AnnoyingInterface.

Any design advantages on the Apple platform are purely artificial.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Didn't someone make a MacOSX emulator for Windows at one stage?

It was UGLY.
                    Grrr | Pieter Lootsma | Hamilton, NZ | grrr@orcon.net.nz
                    Waikato University, Hamilton.

Comment

Any design advantages on the Apple platform are purely artificial.
                      Never heard of ColorSync?

Comment

Never heard of ColorSync?
                        John, incase you haven't noticed, he's not buying a computer for insanely anal artsy people.

And again, it's purely artificial. There's nothing stopping that from being done on a PC. Except of course it being owned by Apple and all.

Besides, it's hardly unique to Apple.

The International Color Consortium....promoting and encouraging the standardization of an open color management system

etc

Comment

Wow, way to include two links that are nothing to do with the subject.

I couldn't find any details on the Microsoft site (blasted search) but is ICM still document-based, as it was in Windows 2000?

Comment

Wow, way to include two links that are nothing to do with the subject.
                            The subject to me seems to be a college student's computer. Who's the one offtopic?

I couldn't find any details on the Microsoft site (blasted search) but is ICM still document-based, as it was in Windows 2000?
                            No idea, I've never used it in my life.
                            I prefer to ground myself in reality, rather than going off into the faery world of artwork.

Comment

Hey, if you have to do serious design/print, you need a Mac.

I personally prefer XP to OS X, though, by a mile.

Comment

Hey, if you have to do serious design/print, you need a Mac.
                                One might consider "color accuracy" to hardly be "serious".

I consider "serious design" to be stuff like AutoCAD, but then again, I think the people who fret over insanely small differences in color accuracies need a reality check.

Comment

Working...
                                X