No announcement yet.

Germany refuses to hand over evidence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone have more than just I heard this and down with death penality and blah blah?

Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

The latest news and headlines from Yahoo News. Get breaking news stories and in-depth coverage with videos and photos.

BERLIN (AP) - Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder said Tuesday that he expected the United States to accept limits on the evidence it can supply against Zacarias Moussaoui, who could face the death penalty for allegedly aiding the Sept. 11 attackers.

German justice authorities have received a request from the United States regarding information in the Moussaoui case, but point out that it is against German law to extradite suspects to countries with the death penalty or supply evidence that could incriminate someone facing execution.

At a news conference Tuesday, Schroeder rejected the idea that this policy undermines his pledge of "unrestricted solidarity" with the United States in the wake of the Sept. 11 attacks.

"It's exclusively to do with legal systems which are different," he said, adding he believed that Germany and the United States will soon find a "common position."

Outlawing the death penalty is a requirement for membership in the 15-member European Union ( news - web sites). The Council of Europe, which comprises 40 countries, also forbids the death penalty, even in wartime.

"Effectively combating terror must be in the foreground, but it's well understood in the United States that constitutional norms must be respected," Schroeder said.

According to a report in this week's edition of Der Spiegel weekly, Germany is refusing to hand over evidence proving Moussaoui received money from members of the terror cell believed to have plotted the attacks.

The cell was led by Mohamed Atta, one of the suicide pilots in the airliners that hit the World Trade Center in New York, and based in the northern city of Hamburg.

U.S. law enforcement officials have said Moussaoui received two money transfers from Ramzi Bin al-Shibh, Atta's roommate in Hamburg who wanted to take part in the hijackings, but was unable to secure a visa.

Moussaoui was arrested last summer at a flight school in Minnesota and is the only man currently charged in connection with the attacks. He is being held in custody in pending the opening of his trial.

Looks like the American response was a simple ok. Not exactly the brave earth shattering event that some of you guys had wanted.
      Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

even the UK had said that he wouldnt give up anything or anybody if he was to face the death penalty

(a minor good point there)

the EU should vote for a common resolution on that matter.

nothing to the yankess unless they dont execute anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Giancarlo
          Well Germany, will get a major diplomatic fracas then with the US... major mistake in my opinion.

And really nice to see Germany is hindering the prosecution of a terrorist.
          suspected terrorist
          "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
          "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

suspected law offender

Comment

This particular case has very little to do with the debate over capital punishment. It has much more to do with respecting the law of other nations.

So hats off to Deutschland for upholding their constitution, and a pat on the back to the US for not making a scene of it.

It's quite unfortunate, however, that prosecutors will not have this evidence at their disposal because of this difference of opinion.
              "Beauty is not in the face...Beauty is a light in the heart." - Kahlil Gibran
              "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved; loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves" - Victor Hugo
              "It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good -- and less trouble." - Mark Twain

Comment

This is a terribly worded poll, by the way. I almost voted 'no' in protest at the phrasing.

Comment

The fact that the suspected terrorist faces the DP in the US is none of Germany's business. They should stop sticking their nose into other countries' business instead of witholding evidence of terrorism.
                  ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                  ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

Cali: It becomes their business when turning over evidence in some way violates the letter and/or spirit of their laws. The US cannot expect another nation to violate or ammend their legal code for our benefit.
                    "Beauty is not in the face...Beauty is a light in the heart." - Kahlil Gibran
                    "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved; loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves" - Victor Hugo
                    "It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good -- and less trouble." - Mark Twain

Comment

Well they should change their laws if they want to get serious about fighting terrorism IMO.
                      ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                      ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

I'm convinced we're right about this. I say this without any intent to maintain or create a flame.

Please respect my position towards my country's attitudes in human rights affairs

Comment

Originally posted by Caligastia
                          Well they should change their laws if they want to get serious about fighting terrorism IMO.
                          Yes, they should take a lead from the UK and US and start passing Draconian laws!

Comment

Originally posted by Caligastia
                            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

i'm against the death penalty, but that doesn't mean i think germany should deny evidence. They have a duty to the truth, and any facts that may bring it out, one way or another should be presented.

Besides, the prosecutor may ask for the death penalty, but that doesn't mean he'll get it.

Comment

Our duty to human rights is a tad more important to us than our duty to your truth.

Comment

Working...
                                X