I don't get a lot of the quotations people put in their sigs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by axi
    My quote is a bold act of defiance to the neo-liberal ultra-conservative bougeois orthodoxy of our times and is targetting all these SOBs that believe this is the end of all politics and that there is no alternative but to consent in getting ****ed by the capitalists.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

You can quote me on that too...
      "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
      George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by LaRusso

well i was always suspicious about the boshko thing. r u serbian?

my sig - 1st part was 'yin cicle' re civ 3
        second is some silly guy who allegedly worked for us gov but did not learn how to spell. although that is quite possible. i just liked the mccarthy feel oh his pre-9/11 sentence
        Nope, Boshko's just my last name, apparently its relatively common in the Ukraine (although my family comes from Belarus).
        Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

My 2 quotes:

Destiny! Destiny! No escaping that for me!
          This is from the movie Young Frankenstein, written and directed by Mel Brooks. The lead character, the grandson of the first Dr. Frankenstein (played by Gene Wilder), is having a dream, and we see him tossing and turning in his bed, arguing with what is presumably the spirit of his grandad:

No...no I don't believe in fate...No! I won't say it! Okay! Okay I'll say it! DESTINY! DESTINY! NO ESCAPING THAT'S FOR ME! DESTINY! DESTINY! NO ESCAPING THAT'S FOR ME..."

Why did I put it in? I just liked the quote. I'm not a fatalist.

The second quote is more well-known and more straightforward:
          I refute it thus!
          This was uttered by Dr. Samuel Johnson. The story is as follows, as narrated by Boswell, his biographer and companion:

"After we came out of the church, we stood talking for some time together of Bishop Berkeley's ingenious sophistry to prove the nonexistence of matter, and that every thing in the universe is merely ideal. I observed, that though we are satisfied his doctrine is not true, it is impossible to refute it. I never shall forget the alacrity with which Johnson answered, striking his foot with mighty force against a large stone, till he rebounded from it -- 'I refute it thus.' "

This is one of my favourite epigrams.
          I refute it thus!
          "Destiny! Destiny! No escaping that for me!"

Comment

Mine are pretty self explanatory. Just some viewpoints.
            "Beauty is not in the face...Beauty is a light in the heart." - Kahlil Gibran
            "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved; loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves" - Victor Hugo
            "It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good -- and less trouble." - Mark Twain

Comment

i helped edit and make that video. And the rest is pretty clear

Comment

Mine is just some shameless (and rather large) self-promotion for my website/comic/movie.

Comment

Orange-
                  Is your avatar from the legendary Thunderbirds?!?!
                  I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

Mine is a metaphor for human potential. I made it up and attributed it to Chairman Yang of SMAC.

1 person is strong, but only up to his potential. However, hundreds of people united together for a common purpose have unlimited potential.
                    Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                    Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                    *****Citizen of the Hive****
                    "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

My first one is a line from song "Enchridion for a common man" by Babylon Whores, probably the best rock band ever. http://www.deggael.com
                      Ike Vil is also the most brilliant rock lyricist I know of. That line holds a lot of wisdom inside...

The second is also a line from a song; "Kuolemattomuuden ääni" by Finnish CMX. Nowadays it's more prog-rock, but it used to be hardcore-punk-rock some 10 years ago, when they wrote this song. In English that line would be: "That stabbing pain in your ass is the spear of that madman"

That line also appears (in "slightly" different form) in the Finnish national epic, Kalevala.
                      You make my life and times
                      A book of bluesy Saturdays

Comment

My sig is a summary of my life's accomplishments.
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Well, that explains a lot, Asher
                          I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

The first line is "Life sucks" in Finnish 1337-speak, uttered by none other then our Finn Tuomerehu.

The second line I got from some anti-masturbation parody I can't remember.

The rest are shameless plugs; my website, the current Suomithreadi (today IX), and BAC in AC-Fiction.
                            Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Mine is a Gandalf quote from Unfinished Tales, where he replies to Saruman's disgust towards "pipe-weed."

I like it because I am also fond of "pipe-weed."
                              John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by frankychan
                                Mine is a metaphor for human potential. I made it up and attributed it to Chairman Yang of SMAC.

1 person is strong, but only up to his potential. However, hundreds of people united together for a common purpose have unlimited potential.
                                The essence of fascism.
                                John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X