Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ignoring the issue of slavery, who would you have wanted to win the civil war?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Union...I wouldn't want my ancestors to lose, like the crackers did, or I wouldn't be here now.
    Simple.
    Life and death is a grave matter;
    all things pass quickly away.
    Each of you must be completely alert;
    never neglectful, never indulgent.

Comment

All of David Floyd's arguments are pointless anyway, for two reasons, as I have pointed out:

1) The federal government did not abuse the Constitution.

2) No sane government provides a legal means of its own destruction. The Declaration of Independence only provides one reason to destroy a union of a government -- when number one, stated above, occurs.

But since that did not happen, secession had no legitimacy.
      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Even though I am from Tennessee I would support the Union regardless of the issue of slavery. Lincoln's primary focus was the preservation of the union and I think it is usually a good thing if people can learn to get along despite our differences. His first inaugural address pretty much spells out the issue as it would have stood even without the issue of slavery. Two nations with a border of over 2,000 miles between them would have to learn to get along eventually regardless.

Comment

You mean like with the border between Canada and United States??

Comment

Well Lincoln was talking about how the South and the North would never be able to ignore each other regardless of division. He thought that we may as well stay together and work things out. Of course we did work things out with Canada anyway so maybe it wouldn't have been too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
              All of David Floyd's arguments are pointless anyway, for two reasons, as I have pointed out:

1) The federal government did not abuse the Constitution.

2) No sane government provides a legal means of its own destruction. The Declaration of Independence only provides one reason to destroy a union of a government -- when number one, stated above, occurs.

But since that did not happen, secession had no legitimacy.
              But nobody here has been arguing that.
              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

The Yanks.

Simply put, the Confederates were secessionists and tried to destroy the country by their actions.

Luckily the North brought them back into the fold.
                Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                *****Citizen of the Hive****
                "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov

But nobody here has been arguing that.
                  Ever heard of the "calm before the storm" or the "eye of the storm?"

stay tuned

But seriously, many Southerners who worship the Confederate flag today DO claim that the federal government violated the Constitution because of their power over the territories.

Well, the Northwest Ordinance gave the Congress jurisdiction over the territories.

Comment

I would have supported the Union for the simple reason of stability. Had the south won, we would have seen an additional competing power on the continent, opening the door for future territorial skirmishes. We also would have likely seen an attempt at control from Europe, which definitely could have been bad.
                    "Beauty is not in the face...Beauty is a light in the heart." - Kahlil Gibran
                    "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved; loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves" - Victor Hugo
                    "It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good -- and less trouble." - Mark Twain

Comment

The South, as a general statement, didn't own slaves.
                      That noted, it's for the best that the Union won; even though I have an ancestor who spent 2 years as a P.O.W. at Rock Island, Illinois.
                      God Bless America.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Slowwhand --- most of us already know that the minority of white and mulatto Southerners owned about 4 million blacks as slaves.

BTW, I live right across the river from Rock Island.

Comment

Just want to keep the record straight.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                            The South, as a general statement, didn't own slaves.
                            How are you defining General?

Over a third of the South held slaves, and in the Deep South it was half.

Regardless, over 90% of Southerners owed their livelihoods and economic prosperity to the institution of slavery.
                            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Union
                              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

We're thread jacking Cal's thread.

We're suppose to ignore the topic of slavery -- my bad.

Comment

Working...
                                X