No announcement yet.

Brazil has black people too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This one goes right up there with Dan Quayle's famous "Too bad I don't speak Latin" when discussing Latin America.

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

well our PM doesn't make these kind of mistakes
      but he startles (sp?) a lot!

he seems so anxious when speaking he mixes up words sometimes and the result varies from funny syntax to downright inaudible phrases...

Comment

Originally posted by ZoboZeWarrior

Different conception ? What do u mean ?

Black couldn't be black in Brazil ?

---

"Noir, c'est noir, il n'y a plus d'espoire !"
        Historically, Latin Americans had less rigid classification of the different races than one that was/is used by North Americans.

Brazilians probably have dozens of different gradients for the word and classification of "black."
        Using black in the North American sense in a Latin American country, would be seen as a gross over-simplification or generalizaton.
        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Kropotkin
          Hey, I'm also picking my nose when I think no one's watching. That's a sign of great intelligence, humour and charm!
          And I'm sure you have never picked your nose. Of course maybe not in front of a camera........

Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun

Historically, Latin Americans had less rigid classification of the different races than one that was/is used by North Americans.

Brazilians probably have dozens of different gradients for the word and classification of "black."
            Using black in the North American sense in a Latin American country, would be seen as a gross over-simplification or generalizaton.
            I had the impression that a large part, if not the majority, of those considered Black in north america were also of mixed heritage.
            Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
            Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

They're less mixed than in Brazil. Most blacks in the US are less than 25% white.

But his point has to do more with how people identify themselves. Except for Luisiana (which had a fair amount of mullatos), most states in the South had the "one drop" rule. Meaning if you were black at all, you were treated as black. This is different from other coutnries (Brazil....heck even South Africa) which although they had discrimination, varied it according to how black someone was.

Comment

Thanks for clarifying, GP.
                That was my point -- obviously, there is no such thing as a pure race anywhere in the world.

But the socially constructed CONCEPT and PERCEPTION of race is different from one culture to another.

Comment

Originally posted by Caligastia
                  It still amazes me that he got elected.
                  Need I remind you people that he wasn't elected. Gore was elected, but it took some serious fraud and meddling by the SCUSA to make Bush Pres. I can't believe that America rolled over and took him up the butt.

A real country would have gone on strike and protested until the person who won the election was inaugerated. Not that he respects democracy either. Hence the fact that we have a government that refused to warn the American people about an increased threat of hijackings.
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                    I can't believe that America rolled over and took him up the butt.
                    For some reason, I do NOT like that analogy.

Comment

Need I remind you people that he wasn't elected. Gore was elected, but it took some serious fraud and meddling by the SCUSA to make Bush Pres. I can't believe that America rolled over and took him up the butt.

A real country would have gone on strike and protested until the person who won the election was inaugerated. Not that he respects democracy either. Hence the fact that we have a government that refused to warn the American people about an increased threat of hijackings.
                      He had the count on both the first, second and third recounts. The Democrats kept trying to come up with new recounts. But Bush won all the counts.

Comment

Originally posted by The Vagabond
                        BTW, Brazil holds the largest mulatto population in the world. A true example of racial harmony. No blacks, no whites, just mulattos. And mulattas.
                        RACIST!
                        There is only one human race, and we all belong to it.

peace man
                        I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
                          For some reason, I do NOT like that analogy.
                          You know, gays aren't the only people who take things up the butt. Nor are they the only people who enjoy it. However, when it's a prickly thornbush like Dubya, no one does.
                          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

You know, gays aren't the only people who take things up the butt. Nor are they the only people who enjoy it. However, when it's a prickly thornbush like Dubya, no one does.
                            Never said it does not apply to hetero women, did I??

I just said that I did not like this analogy --- what would have happened, had I read this, after just getting done with a heavy meal??

Comment

'Do you have blacks, too?'

Didn't Shrub run his campaign on the idea that he's a foreign policy expert on Latin America? I can imagine his discussions with Fox: 'Wow you have Spanish-speakers too? I thought y'all speak Latin down here.'

I know we all like to make fun of Shrub for accidently saying the wrong word sometimes, but damn, this shows some genuinely incredible ignorance.
                              "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                              -Bokonon

Comment

Glad to see I'm not the only foolish snob around here.
                                "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                                "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Working...
                                X