No announcement yet.

Fair is Fair, a question for Europe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think Europe will became a unified nation, not in the next 50-100 years at least, it took a long time just to have a unified Money and economy.

Plus, I don't think that Germany, France or the UK will ever be willing to give up their independence, knowing of the possibility of a leader coming from on of the other two countries. Then in Europe every nation have her own culture and language.... no... I don't think a "United States of Europe" will ever be realized.

But... if it will happen, then we should get only 1 vote, as China and USA

Saluti
    "Life is pretty simple: You do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. You do more of what works. If it works big, others quickly copy it. Then you do something else.
    The trick is the doing something else."
    — Leonardo da Vinci
    "If God forbade drinking, would He have made wine so good?" - Cardinal Richelieu
    "In vino veritas" - Plinio il vecchio

Comment

Re: Fair is Fair, a question for Europe

"... goal is to compete worldwide with the US"

Compete ? In what ?

"Question, to keep things fair, would Europe be willing to unite in the UN and only have one vote?"

If we get to a common foreign policy, yes.

"Would this change how you view the UN?"

Why should it ?

Comment

This avatar was created by Stebu, the evil side of Stefu.

Comment

I don't agree that the sole goal of the EU is to compete with the US, the main original goal was to make trade easier between the countries, after all the EU countries mainly trade with each other. Assuming it was all set up to compete with the US is a very self centered view of the situation, sometimes countries in the world make decisions which don't have anything to do with the US. A side effect of the move is that it will mean that we have a stronger world influence as a group, that's an additional benefit for our secondary export markets, outside the EU.

If we ever get to one EU had one government then we should drop to one vote.

As a return question, despite the things we disagree with the US on, we (the EU) don't disagree on as much as a lot of third world countries, would it really serve the US to have us reduced to only one vote?
          Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
          We've got both kinds

Comment

EU started as a way to avoid another world war.

now it has degraded to being about the rapid expansion of freedom of movement of capital and the forceful establishment of neoliberal policies although it does retain its first aim.

where to go from here... there are guidelines but they are just that - guidelines

Comment

it was never about creating a counter force to the US
              this came up as an idea to enthuse the masses later on, it has no gravity, it is a myth (for now?)

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH
                As a return question, despite the things we disagree with the US on, we (the EU) don't disagree on as much as a lot of third world countries, would it really serve the US to have us reduced to only one vote?
                Another good question. And you are correct, it probably wouldn't serve the US to have you reduced to only one vote. But that really highlights the point I'm trying to make. Would your interests be impacted by being reduced to one vote? I think yes. Thank god for the veto. And it does highlight why the US isn't always thrilled with the UN. We feel quite outnumbered sometimes. And YES, maybe a proportional representation might make for a stronger UN. I agree in principle with the UN, just not the way it's currently set up. We need something to help the world as a whole. The current model isn't it. The same US paranoia is why the US is unhappy about the World Court Concept.

And I agree that Europe will probably never be fully integrated into one entity to compete militarily in the world. But listening to the likes of ST. Marcus, a lot of people feel that it is posible. If not, just to feel like an important player again. His absence in this thread is particularly amusing.

RAH

This really can't be compared to NAFTA since no common currency is used.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Sorry, forgot about this one.

Originally posted by GP
                  Rah...it was a great question. And very interesting to think about. kudos.

(BTW we shou;d get together for drinks. I'll be in Chi town in a couple weeks.)
                  Post your plans, and maybe Ming and I can meet you somewhere.

RAH
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Tom201
                    France will never give up. They will insist on calling their nation seperatly, no matter how close the EU gets
                    Why France only ?
                    Zobo Ze Warrior
                    --
                    Your brain is your worst enemy!

Comment

Rah: EU members don't always agree on UN votes, not at all in fact. Especially on military resolutions. The UK, for instance, often votes with the US when other countries vote against. It's not as simple as one policy always being the right thing for the whole of the EU which is why it'd be hard to have a common foreign policy.

Best thing about this thread, intelligent debate with hardly any trolling. Nice.
                      Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                      We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by Tom201
                        France will never give up. They will insist on calling their nation seperatly, no matter how close the EU gets
                        Why France only ??
                        Last edited by ZoboZeWarrior; May 29, 2002, 09:31.
                        Zobo Ze Warrior
                        --
                        Your brain is your worst enemy!

Comment

The "EU" is a flash-in-the-pan effort that will never work due to the "Me,me,me" attitude of Europe.
                          It would be little less than the individual states of the U.S., but they can't handle the concept in Europe.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH
                            Rah: EU members don't always agree on UN votes, not at all in fact. Especially on military resolutions. The UK, for instance, often votes with the US when other countries vote against. It's not as simple as one policy always being the right thing for the whole of the EU which is why it'd be hard to have a common foreign policy.

Best thing about this thread, intelligent debate with hardly any trolling. Nice.
                            Yes, coming to a consensus on any issues is difficult, and I never meant to imply that Europe always votes together, but they do have a lot of shared interests. Even in the US, different areas of the country provide a wide range of opinions on almost every issue. Which is probably why the call to patriotism is used so often. It's a great unifying tactic that Bush has used effectively but probably almost worn out. (as can be seen in US newspaper editorial sections.) He will not be able to guarentee blind following in the future.

RAH
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Absolutely.

Just as I say that about the decent way this thread has gone Slowwhand gets in a quick nasty jibe. Oh well.
                              We've got both kinds

Comment

Not really, Mike. It's just a viewpoint. When has Europe ever worked as one?
                                It's just an observation of the facts.
                                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                                X