No announcement yet.

Fair is Fair, a question for Europe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, back to the question, would europe feel represented with only one vote. Or might you get a little suspicious of the organization. (for those that didn't forsee where this was going)

RAH
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

It really doesn't matter, does it?

The UN ought to be dismantled anyway.
      "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
      "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

That kinda hit the nail on the head
        We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
        If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
        Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by rah
          If Europe did agree to reduce it's vote to one.

Do you feel you would be properly represented? Or would your needs be lost among the masses of third world countries?

RAH
          I thought Tony Blair and Bush were lobbying to have all the third world votes reduced to one, under the title of 'The Land Where Brown People Come From' or 'Cruise Missile Testing Range'?

Comment

I think if Europe actually declared itself to be one soverign state, they would have to accept having one vote. I don't think the UN has to continue giving seats to non-existnant countries, and I can't imagine who would support letting the Europeans keep their old votes outside of Europe. Especially since China has only 1 vote and they have way more population then Europe does.
            "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Originally posted by red_jon

I thought Tony Blair and Bush were lobbying to have all the third world votes reduced to one, under the title of 'The Land Where Brown People Come From' or 'Cruise Missile Testing Range'?
              So much for serious arguements from the chaps on the other side of the pond.

RAH
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by red_jon

SEE!!

Bush had a good reason for asking about Brazil.

Comment

Rah...it was a great question. And very interesting to think about. kudos.

(BTW we shou;d get together for drinks. I'll be in Chi town in a couple weeks.)

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH
                    The EU mandated what a sausage was, and "bangers" wern't. Theres your independent states. You've got 10 years before you're using the flag the Dutch guy designed (the bar codes).
                    YES!!

Bar code will rule you all!!

Comment

A very interesting question. A perhaps unintended consequence of it is to highlight how the relatively rigid nature of the organization may well lead to the UN becoming more and more of an irrelevant entity as time goes by. Unless it can reform itself.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
                        Perhaps the United States is entitled to 50 votes in the UN for each state of the United States to be consistent with each EU country entitled to one vote.

Why not? The USA is a regional Economic and Political Union. At least, originally. States in the USA have more power than "proviences" in other countries.
                        Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

They is something very very wrong about one-state one-vote in the context of the GA. The very idea of the EU being reduced to 1 vote illustrates the problem.

I support the SC only because the US has a veto.
                          http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

well, if it would come to that, it is very likely that the voting model would be redone altogether... Maybe more like the EU parliament or the US congress, where the number of representatives is 'sort of proportional to population'. Basically, if all the small states gang up, they have more votes than the big ones, even though their total population is lower.

I suprised myself by considering this practice unfair in the US, but defensible in the EU... Basically on the grounds that in the US the difference between the states is so little, there is no real reason to diffrentiate the votes. Whereas in Europe, we know that France would run roughshod over everyone else if only they could...
                            Gnu Ex Machina - the Gnu in the Machine

Comment

It is a great question, though, RAH.

Comment

Monk, if you are going to thank Stefu for the avatar, shouldn't you at least spell his name right?

Comment

Working...
                                X