No announcement yet.

Well-known Danes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most famous Dane(though fictional) is Prince Hamlet.
    "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

He's based on an actual, historical person.

Comment

Hey, Danes of Apolyton! Could you enlighten me on the issue of Lars (von) Trier? I've heard it with or without the "von" from a lot of people and am pretty confused about the whole thing.

Hmm... another reason to check out Europa again.
        "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
        "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

His given name is Lars Trier, he added "Von" out of vanity, so I guess both could be correct if you stretch it a bit. Quite a bit, actually. I always refer to him as Lars Trier.

To answer kassiopeia from earlier on: Karen Blixen was an acclaimed writer, best known for "Out of Africa". She initially wrote under the name Isak Dinesen to conceil the fact that she was female.

Comment

I see. Interesting. Thanks for the info, Win.
            "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
            "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

You're most welcome. Remember to take the poll.

Comment

Bohr.
                Andersen, Kierkegaard and Bering ring bells, but my memory fails me once again.
                "In some of its more lunatic aspects, political correctness is merely ridiculous. But in the thinking behind it, there is something more sinister which is shown by the fact that already there are certain areas and topics where freedom of speech, in the sense of the right to open and frank discussion, is being gradually but significantly eroded." -- Judge Neil Denison

Comment

You forgot Lars von Trier
                  Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Shi beat me to Hamlet.

He saw dead people before it was fasionable.
                    John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

What about Aqua?

And my parents old favorite, Kim Larsen!
                      Gnu Ex Machina - the Gnu in the Machine

Comment

Winston, this is a good thread concept. I'll make a similar thread on Finns

I knew Andersen, Kierkegaard, Bohr, Laudrup and Bering
                        Last edited by Meticulous Man; May 29, 2002, 07:28.

Comment

Originally posted by Monk
                          This could turn out interesting. The only ones I'd really expect a generally well-informed foreigner to know the basic stuff about are Hans Chr. Andersen, Kirkegaard and Bohr.

The list is almost exactly like I would have made it, possibly with the addition of composer Carl Nielsen, Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich and relatively well-known football dude (or so I hear) Morten Andersen.
                          Funny you should mention Morten Andersen. He was one of my sports heroes when I was in High School. He was a soccer player who walked on (tried out) for the Michigan State football team as a kicker. I had season tickets, and I always admired his style, very precise. He's still playing IIRC, though he is in his 40s now. He's one of the best kickers in the NFL in percentage and career stats.
                          He's got the Midas touch.
                          But he touched it too much!
                          Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

I've heard/I know these: Andersen, Kierkegaard, Bohr, Laudrup, Borge and Blixen...

But where is Tyko Brahe? I thought that he was danish too?
                            I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

Lars von Trier is one of my favourites..
                              And what about Brigitte Nielsen? He was danish right? Talking about cleavage..
                              In da butt.
                              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Miss Nielsen's cleavage is even more artificial than Lars Triers alleged "middle name". Let's face it, we're a nation of phonies. Even The Little Mermaid had her head replaced a while back.

Comment

Working...
                                X