Are homosexuals near extinction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrFun

When I used to have a stronger belief in the genetic theory, I did my own research report on sexual orientation development.
    Here is part of my report on twin studies:

"Another different theory developed in the 1980s was formulated by Richard Pillard and James Weinrich. They wanted to determine if homosexuality clustered in families (LeVay, 174-177). Are siblings of gays or lesbians more likely themselves to be gay or lesbian than siblings of heterosexuals? From one study, it was found that among brothers of heterosexual men, about 4% were homosexuals or bisexual. Among brothers of gay men, about 22% were homosexual or bisexual. From four separate studies, it was found that among the sisters of heterosexual women, 0% to 11% were lesbian or bisexual. With sisters of lesbians, 5% to 25% were lesbian or bisexual.

However, the observation that homosexuality is familial is not in itself proof of genetic influence on sexual orientation since there could be many environmental mechanics involved. Pillard and others performed studies on twins. These studies came up with concordance rates for homosexuality in monozygotic2 twins that are much higher than in dizygotic3 twins. In one study, 52% of monozygotic co-twins of gay men were themselves gay, while only 22% of dizygotic twins were gay. For lesbians about 48% for monozygotic siblings and only 16% for dizygotic siblings. To account for the possibility of gay or lesbian co-twins who would readily participate in these studies, Michael Bailey and his colleagues set a broad range between 30% and 75% for both men and women who would be gay or lesbian. Another weakness with these studies is that one has to consider non-genetic factors influencing sexual orientation. However, these studies offer substantial evidence that there is genetic influence."
    END OF MRFUN'S REPORT

This is only a brief touch on this -- whole books have been written on this one particular theory, of course.
    But now, I no longer have as strong a belief in the genetic theory anymore.
    This seems to be pretty good evidence of a genetic cause. )at least for some people) Would need to look at the numbers and the primary sources more...but at least based on your report, it looks genetic. (Oh...and I guess there was a caveat about self-selection. Would be interesting to look at that and see if it can be factored out.)

What made your beleif in genetic causation weaken?

Comment

I think this sums up a lot of what I have posted. Ok subject matter changes but the research content does not.

Certain subjects of research end up underfunded and simply not discovered. Why? As Asher puts it in all too common terms WHO CARES. Well in order to understand and to move on one has to care enough to understand. That means research....
      “The Communist Manifesto was correct…but…we see the privileges of the capitalist bourgeoisie yielding…to democratic organizations…In my judgment…success lies in a steady [peaceful] advance…[rather]…than in…a catastrophic crash."Eduard Bernstein
      Or do we?

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
        The answer to this thread title is no, and obviously anyone who could make such a statement has never been to San Francisco, Austin, or Toronto.

Why do we have to research homosexuality? What's the point?

It's there, it doesn't hurt anyone, just let it be. Don't fund research into why it exists, spend that money curing cancer or something.
        Asher,

I'm not going to strip any cancer centers of funding. I just want to konw what the work to date said. So sue me. I can be interested in whatever I want. Knowledge is power. If you want to see an ulterior motive in my wanting to know the science, I can see one in your wanting to hide the knowledge...

Comment

I wasn't talking about you personally, GP.

I'm just so ****ing sick of everyone arguing over what causes it.

IT'S NATURE!
          No, it's NURTURE!
          No, you're both wrong, it's NATURE AND NURTURE!

Oh the humanity, we'll never survive knowing what causes people to be who they are.

Where's the genetic research about what makes people more skilled at hockey than others?

Where's the research on musical talent?!

All of that crap is useless in the real world. And I really wish Canada would stop trying to fund bull**** research like that and put more money into curing diseases.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

you're welcome, GP
            I didn't see your posts until now. don't get anxious. I'm reading tjhorugh a long article in one of ice's links.

Comment

Originally posted by GP

This seems to be pretty good evidence of a genetic cause. )at least for some people) Would need to look at the numbers and the primary sources more...but at least based on your report, it looks genetic. (Oh...and I guess there was a caveat about self-selection. Would be interesting to look at that and see if it can be factored out.)

What made your beleif in genetic causation weaken?
              The author is LeVay, and the title of the source cited is "Queer Science."

What caused my views to begin to change?
              An intelligent discussion on Apolyton about the theory that all humans might be fundamentally bisexual, with a preponderance towards either heterosexuality, or homosexuality.
              I have yet to get my ass in gear, and do some reading of my own, on this theory brought up here on Apolyton.

But it was intriguing when it was discussed.
              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Yes Asher it happens but understand that is but one part of humanity...
                “The Communist Manifesto was correct…but…we see the privileges of the capitalist bourgeoisie yielding…to democratic organizations…In my judgment…success lies in a steady [peaceful] advance…[rather]…than in…a catastrophic crash."Eduard Bernstein
                Or do we?

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                  I wasn't talking about you personally, GP.

I'm just so ****ing sick of everyone arguing over what causes it.

IT'S NATURE!
                  No, it's NURTURE!
                  No, you're both wrong, it's NATURE AND NURTURE!

Oh the humanity, we'll never survive knowing what causes people to be who they are.

Where's the genetic research about what makes people more skilled at hockey than others?

Where's the research on musical talent?!
                  OK, dude. I don't know why...but it just got me interested. I have a science background and I like reading good primary sicence articles.

I don't know about musical, hockey players but there has been some decent research on IQ heritiability and on economic talent variation and on selection processes (these are of course commercially relevant.) If you are a business and have to choose workers, you want to know how to pick the best ones most effectively.

Comment

Asher just needs to calm down.

Comment

Thanks, Fun. Sounds like you did some decent research there. Good job. Seriously.

Did you look at any of the promary sources? e.g. the paper by Pillard?

Comment

Mine was a basic, overview research paper on several different topics, so I did not go really in-depth with any one issue.

But here is my bibliography for my report:

Works Cited
                        LeVay, Simon. Queer Science. The MIT Press, 1996.
                        MacHover, June, Ph.D., McWhirter, P. David, M.D., Sanders, A. Stephanie, Ph.D.
                        Homosexuality/Heterosexuality – Concepts of Sexual Orientation. Vol. 2. Oxford University Press, 1990.

Strickland, Bonnie. “Research on Sexual Orientation and Human Development: A
                        Commentary.” Developmental Psychology. Vol. 31, no. 1. January, 1995. Pages 137-140.

Encyclopedia of Adult Development. Oryx Press, 1993. Pages 208-214.

Encyclopedia of Marriage and Family. Vol. 2. Simon & Schuster Macmillan, 1995.
                        Page 642.

Encyclopedia of Psychology. Vol. 7. Oxford University Press, 2000. Pages 260-262.

“Shades of Gay.” Newsweek 20 March 2000.

Comment

Asher just needs to calm down.
                          I'm sorry I'm not as obsessed with sexuality as others here.
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

ok

Comment

Asher --- it was not meant as an insult -- it just seemed like you just needed to take a few deep breaths, and relax.

I like you here on Apolyton.

Comment

Beyond sexuality Asher human nature, forget single good for the big picture and join in the topic. It merges into humanity as a whole topic.
                                Or do we?

Comment

Working...
                                X