A thread for Apolyton users who don't believe in God

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by monkspider
    Don't be quite so confident in your knowledge of things Ethel, my friend. According to recent findings, there is a certain microscopic organic layer than can develop on artifacts, with textiles being most suspectible to this type of growth. A ton of scientists are now recognizing this, and rounding up old artifacts that were once considered frauds, including a number of mummies.
    If the thread is cleaned there won't be any growth on it. It is concievable that a thin layer of modern carbon could marginily effect the date. However it won't magicaly move the cate from 33 AD to 1300 AD the exact time the shroud appeared.

Here is a link with a little bit of info on this, but also info on some of the flower images encoded into the shroud.
    http://www.the-scientist.com/yr1999/...10_990913.html

The flower and pollen only imply that the shroud was from the Middle East not 33 AD and of course Dr Frei has been shown to be an unreliable source.

From that same link

But the radiocarbon dating paper is impressive. A 10 x 70-mm piece from the shroud was cut from a region free of char, snipped in three and given to dating labs at the University of Arizona in Tucson, Oxford University, and the Institute fur Mittelenergiephysik in Zurich. Collaborators hailed from Columbia University and the British Museum. Controls were three samples of linen with known dates. "The region was chosen very carefully by textile experts to contain no material but shroud. The shroud is a woven piece, and one region of it is as representative of the whole as any other," explains Douglas Donahue, a professor of physics at the University of Arizona who was present at the April 21, 1988 sampling. Each lab subdivided the samples to test them repeatedly, and treated different pieces with different mechanical and chemical cleaning methods. Then each sample was examined microscopically to detect and remove contaminants.

The results date the shroud to 1260-1390 A.D., with 95 percent confidence. This corresponds to the period when the shroud's location was unknown, and is consistent with a 14th-century bishop's report that a forger had confessed.

Donahue defends the radiocarbon dating. Neither water nor burn marks would alter the date, he says, nor has Mattingly and Leoncio Garza-Valdes' "bioplastic theory" been published in a peer-reviewed journal. "The bacterial material they propose is invisible to normal human beings, including myself, is impervious to reasonable chemical treatments, and is made of only modern carbon. In order to change the radiocarbon age of the shroud from the 700 years, which we measured to 2,000 years, the shroud would need to consist of 60 percent of this bacterial substance."

As for the pollen

By Thursday of the week of the botanical congress, the story of possible new scientific evidence for the authenticity of the shroud of Turin had made its way around the globe. Then on Friday, August 6, the Amherst, N.Y.-based Committee for the Scientific Investigation of Claims of the Paranormal (CSICOP), an international network of scientists who examine pseudoscience, added its two cents. Their report, compiled by CSICOP senior research fellow Joe Nickell, claims that Frei's pollen-rich tapes could not be replicated, and that all but one tape reexamined after Frei's death had little pollen--and that this was an old story. Nickell mentions other images seen "Rorschach-like" in the shroud, attributes the "blood" stains to tempera paint, and calls linking the shroud to the Sudarium of Oviedo by the pattern of marks and pollen "wishful thinking."

Of course if pollen from the Israel can be found why can't the spices described in John be found. It was a LOT of spice. Surely some should have adhered along with the pollen.

That is also from the link you posted. You sure are selective in your reading.

Well, I would disagree, but I will just cite a few of most basic of the shroud's properties. How did a medevial forger create such a precise photographic negative, especially with 19-20th century medical knowledge, and how did this forger create it's 3-D properties and microscopic level of detail?

I notice how you are ignoring ALL the evidence that you are wrong in that. Its not precise and its not really a negative. Its not even close the right kind of cylindrical projection. The alleged properties aren't real.

The coin image is invisible to the human eye in any modern photos. The source image the claim is based on was made in 1930's and the original photo was not used but a multigeneration copy of the original. I sure can't see anything but an eyelid in the images on the web.

That's a fair point of concern actually Ethel, but here is why: When a person is cruelly tortured, the blood undergoes a terrible haemolysis, when the haemaglobin literally ‘breaks up’. In thirty seconds, the reaction reaches the liver, which doesn’t have time to deal with it, and discharges a volume of bilirubin into the veins.

Would you care to give a link to something that is peer reviewed to support that. I bet you can't. It looks just like the nonsense that the ICR comes up with for the flood.

By the way if that WAS true then you have to give up on the claim for AB blood type. Pick one. Or neither not both.

STURP has discovered a very high quantity of this substance in the blood on the Shroud. It is this substance that, when mixed with methemoglobin of a certain type, produces that vivid red colour. The colour of the blood belonging to the ‘Man of the Shroud’ is chemical proof that, before dying, he suffered terrible torture.

Since no one has any evidence of blood on the shroud that stands up to peer review I don' think I can cosider that to be a viable claim. The color of the fake blood is ample evidence it was faked unless of course you can show some real evidence to support this claim not just the wild speculation of the believers from STURP. The stuff you are reporting is not from the Atheists. Its from those that believed even before they tested. They are bad scientists as the nonsense they say about the C14 testing shows.

They weren't testing the DNA found on off-areas of the shroud, but the actual blood itself.

The nonexistent blood you mean? The blood no one can show exists? And how did they obtain it. Human red blood cells by the way do NOT contain DNA. Skin does. Cloth touched by anyone handling can. Do you have reason to think the shroud was never touche by anyone? Even the model that was placed in it when the forgery was made?

Quote from the person that did the DNA testing.

Of the tests, Tryon says, "All I can tell you is that DNA contamination is present and that the DNA belonged either to a human or another higher primate. I have no idea who or where the DNA signal came from, nor how long it's been there." It is, he says, not necessarily the remains of blood. "Everyone who has ever touched the shroud or cried over the shroud has left a potential DNA signal there." Tryon quit the project soon after his tests. "I saw it as a multidisciplinary project involving archaeology, physiology and other fields. But I came to believe there was another agenda present too. It was my first encounter with zealotry in science."

Well, especially given that a good majority of STURP was made up of Atheists/Agnostics who expected to prove it a fraud in five seconds, you would think that if one or two rogue members went off making wild claims they would try to rectify the situation. I guarantee you that you won't find members of STURP disputing their findings amongst themselves.

You keep repeating that claim about atheists/agnostics. Can you support it? I can't find a think about their religious beliefs. It seems to be a deep dark secret as far as I can tell. You are the only one I have seen so far make that claim.

I did just find this:

From http://www.scifidimensions.com/Aug00..._nickell_4.htm

Shroud of Turin Research Project (STURP) - a group of some 30 scientists from various disciplines got permission to go to Turin and do more tests. Unfortunately, almost all of these were religious believers, most of them were Roman Catholics; in fact, the leaders of the group served on the Executive Council for the Holy Shroud Guild.

Whether he is right or not I can't determine yet but I find it more likely than your claim.

Comment

Originally posted by Ethelred

Oh dear another reiteration of Pacal's Frau-- Wager. Containing the Miracle ingrediants Unstated Assumption and Fraudluline.

A belief in the wrong god or even the wrong doctrine about the same god is just as likely to send to some version of Hell as not believeing at all. There is also the possibility that god is actually rational an not the raging psypath that is portrayed in Genesis and Exodus. In which case god might not care to be worshiped. May even punish you for bugging him with prayers.

My odds of not going to sort of hell are at least as good as yours. I don't bug the hypthetical creator with worship which strikes me as far more rational than worshiping is.

Also I don't waste time on it. You do lose something in believing the nonsense. Time and self-respect.

Geez, even after ADMITTING that I was trolling, somebody feels they have to defend their position.

Not only that, you are the second atheist who has defended a God that you don't believe in.
      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

A Commie who isn't an atheist.

Monk, you obviously don't follow the lead applied communism is your theist beliefs. Karl Marx advocated atheism to ba a part of communist government. And the actions toward Religion by the USSR PRC and Cuba don't endorce the belief in a high power, other than the state.
        "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
        - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski

Geez, even after ADMITTING that I was trolling, somebody feels they have to defend their position.
          Admiting your a green skinned scaley troll does not protect you from rebuttal.

Not only that, you are the second atheist who has defended a God that you don't believe in.
          I am an Agnostic. However its impossible to defend something that doesn't exist.

So how the heck is showing the MANY flaws in Pascal's Sucker Bet even remotely resemble a defense of an entity that is unknown and quite possibly non-existent?

Comment

Originally posted by Ethelred

Admiting your a green skinned scaley troll does not protect you from rebuttal.

I am an Agnostic. However its impossible to defend something that doesn't exist.

So how the heck is showing the MANY flaws in Pascal's Sucker Bet even remotely resemble a defense of an entity that is unknown and quite possibly non-existent?
            But why rebutt something that I don't believe?

I could say that the sky is green, would you rebutt that too?

Even though we both know it isn't?

Must suck to not believe in anything.
            Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by Lemmy
              yup, even you did prove that jesus existed, you would still have to prove everything he's been saying about god, i suppose for partial believers, the prove of Jesus' existance would be enough to prove god's existence.

<-----
              Jesus once said God is in me as much I,m in God. The pharse "The Father, the Son and holy spirit" They are as one.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph1944
                Jesus once said God is in me as much I,m in God. The pharse "The Father, the Son and holy spirit" They are as one.
                Yeah, well, I say I am the Lord High Poobah of All Creatures Great and Small.

As proof, I say, here I am. I exist. Ergo, it must be true.

So much for your logic.

Back to shroud:

The image...come on, monkspider...it doesn't look at all like a real person's face would in a negative. Putting everything aside about the image not being an accurate 3-D rendering of a face wrapped by the shroud...look at the hair. Now, if here were wrapped in a shroud, he'd have to be lying down, right? Flat on his back?

Find a guy with shoulder-length hair. Lie him flat on his back (hehehe, I'm starting to like this...). Look what his hair does. It doesn't stay straight and in line with the face. It falls back and fans out on the surface below. Now wrap a towel around the guy's head. Even then, the hair isn't going to sit like it does in in the image here. It will be bunched up, or pulled back if someone does that before wrapping. The hair in the shroud image looks like that of a man with shoulder-length hair standing up, nothing wrapped around it. If some magical radiation came from out of Jesus and his hair, wouldn't we see that? And again, wouldn't it have burned itself into the portions of the shroud wrapped around the sides and back of his head?

Using my eyes alone I can tell this is the work of someone drawing, not a miracle.
                Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski

But why rebutt something that I don't believe?
                  Why say something you don't believe?

I could say that the sky is green, would you rebutt that too?
                  I would try to fix the color. Just like I did when I watched Matrix. I couldn't enjoy the movie at the start because the very strong green was so distracting. If I had known it was deliberate instead of just a bad transfer I would have found the movie more entertaining. Even with Keanu.

Even though we both know it isn't?
                  Well how do I know you aren't deranged and living in the Matrix?

Must suck to not believe in anything.
                  It refreshing. I believe in things only on a tentative basis. That way I am not stuck defending silly disproven ideas. It must suck to be a troll that gets rebutted.

Still I am having a hard time getting a response when I troll for Scientologists. Perhaps you can give me some lessons.

Comment

As Hassan Sabbah said as he died: "Nothing is true, all is premitted". Damn right.
                    "It woulda been nice to have naked midgets serving us cocktails everyday." - Brandon Boyd of Incubus

"...gays who, because they just NEEDED their orgies..." -Mr. A. Speer

Comment

• Originally posted by monkspider
                      And As far as history goes, there is a jewish historian who talks about Jesus named Josepheus (possible sp), I'm not aware of any other contemporary historical records, aside from the new testament, but given the state of war that Isreal faced in the first century AD, it is possible that any other Jewish historical records may have been lost. [/SIZE]
                      I have read many of Josephus's works. It should be noted that he was born 50 years after Jesus supposidly died so this isn't a primary source. He mentions Jesus in two spots. The first refers to 'the brother of Jesus' which doesn't prove your point since there were lots of people called Jesus back then (not just Jesus Christ). The second is one paragraph in 18 Antiquities and is a blatant forgery by Eusebius (sp?) who transcribed a copy of it around the 4th century. He believed that lying to defend christianity was perfectly acceptable. Given that the guy pours huge amounts of detail into insignifigant events if Jesus actually had risen from the dead he'd have put a heck of a lot more detail into it then one forged paragraph. And the New Testament is contradictory and was written at least a hundred years after Jesus supposidly existed. There are no primary sources to support the Christian version of Jesus.

In any event, what we do know is this: A man named Jesus came to Jerusalem and spoke with unprecedented authority, and the very origin of the Christian faith implies the reality of the resurrection. We all know that Christianity sprang into being in the middle of the first century. Where did it come from? Why did it arise?
                      I'm sympathetic to the Mithras theory. Around the time Jesus supposidly existed there was a strain of Zoroastrianism based on a figure called Mithras. He was supposedly the head agent of the good god (Zoroastrians have two gods: one good and one bad) and was born to a virgin mother on December 25th. He ended up dying and being ressurected. Sound familiar? Christianity is basically just a Jewish version of this myth. Many such myths were quite popular in this time period & place. Christianity is just the one that managed to survive to this day, probably because the Roman Rulers eventually made it the state religion.

Well, all scholars agree that Christianity came into being because the original disciples believed that God had raised Jesus from the dead,
                      Not all scholars not believe this.

and they proclaimed this message everywhere that they went. Their account of the ressurection in the New Testament matches the image on the shroud perfectly, with many details (such as the size of the lance wound) not being confirmed until the advent of technology of the last thirty years, or even in some cases, the last two or three years. And like I said, I can't prove with some kind of mathematical certainity that this cloth actually housed Jesus Christ, but at least it certainly does make you think.
                      If you believe the shroud of turin is genuine I have a piece of the cross to sell you.
                      "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners." - Edward Abbey
                      http://www.anarchyfaq.org

Comment

• oops
                        wrong thread
                        Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

• This should help a little. I have attached a negative for the sake of comparison. If someone wants, they can bump map it for further comparison.
                          Attached Files
                          "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
                          —Orson Welles as Harry Lime

Comment

• Originally posted by MosesPresley
                            This should help a little. I have attached a negative for the sake of comparison. If someone wants, they can bump map it for further comparison.
                            Odd color for a neg. Your face should be blue. I have printed hundreds of thousands of color negatives.

I see its a blue light on bottom and a more normal light on the hair.

Comment

• It's a double exposure.
                              "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
                              —Orson Welles as Harry Lime

Comment

• It is?

The only indication I can see is there is uniform texture in the dark areas. That is the areas that are dark when I reversed the image with Irfanviewer.

So from what you are saying I would guess a textured background was shot with an underexposure and then the head against a black or completely unlit background. This would give a texture to all the blank areas of the head shot. That can be simulated exactly in Photoshop with two seperate photos instead of one double exposure. It would chage the skin color a bit in neg since light skin is a dark blue in a neg.

I have seen so many negatives I tend to switch the colors to the postive version when I talk about them. I will look a person that is wearing blue-green in a neg and refer to them as the person in red.

Comment

Working...
                                X