Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm not going to watch Star Trek ever again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Akka le Vil

1) French accents are not very accentuated. They do exist, but the french has became a relatively uniform langage since a century
    Only in France, because of a fanatical centralisation of the language. Talk to a Haitian or a Québecois and you'll see a strongly accentuated French. To a Montreal ear, Parisian French is almost ridiculously pompous...
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Maybe there is another, older term?
      It was used in the 16th/17th century.

n other words lesbians getting it together are more of a turn on to Trekkies than gay blokes getting it on.
      I think that goes without saying.

also, lesbian kisses on american tv are more accepted than gay kisses.
      Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

Comment

Originally posted by Saint Marcus

It was used in the 16th/17th century.

I think that goes without saying.

also, lesbian kisses on american tv are more accepted than gay kisses.
        Yeah, and in Penthouse magazine as well!!!
        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by ravagon
          Nuther way to look at that - It detected his evil French accent, realized that it makes a bad impression, ergo it becomes English as everybody knows the English are the good guys. Unless you've been watching that patriot movie again
          You know I'm English, right?

Is it just me or do there seem to be more gay kisses than lesbian kisses on British programmes? I love the fact that gay guys getting off is shown mid-day

Comment

Is it just me or do there seem to be more gay kisses than lesbian kisses on British programmes?

Its just you. You choose to watch programmes that show gay blokes kissing, hence you see more gay blokes kissing.
            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Sagacious Dolphin
              Is it just me or do there seem to be more gay kisses than lesbian kisses on British programmes?

Its just you. You choose to watch programmes that show gay blokes kissing, hence you see more gay blokes kissing.
              I don't really, there just seem to be more gay men in dramas, etc than lesbians.

Comment

So you watch more dramas, whilst the rest of the male population watches Channel 5 movies that come on after the watershed.
                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Sagacious Dolphin
                  So you watch more dramas, whilst the rest of the male population watches Channel 5 movies that come on after the watershed.
                  Lol, I meant on mainstream TV, not PervoVision

Comment

Is it just me or do there seem to be more gay kisses than lesbian kisses on British programmes? I love the fact that gay guys getting off is shown mid-day
                    it's the same here though. just not in American shows. Must be a culture thing. US is a lesbian, Europe is gay.

Comment

Somehow I must have missed this post or didn't pay much attention...

Originally posted by The Emperor Fabulous
                      Well Check this...I think Gene Rodenberry chose specificly the races for the reasons of society at the time.

Starfleet - U.S.

Federation - Either NATO or U.N....I believe though it is NATO.
                      Ummm, the 'Federation' is the civil authority whilst Starfleet is essentially its military/naval arm (they don't seem to have anything like an army in ST, unlike Star Wars. They don't even have marines doing security-related stuff. But I digress). Anyway, I would agree that the Federation is a polity modelled on the UN or the EU with a sop to some selected values of Anglo-American individualism thrown in (eg the fight against the Borg).

Klingons - Russians. Warlike against Humans during the first series (60s), friendly with Humans during TNG (90s)
                      Partly, yes. But the Warrior Code of the Klingons that emerges later is more akin to the Japanese.

Vulcans - Japanese. Once warlike people (World War Two) who have taken a calmer path.
                      Maybe. I've long thought that the Vulcans were the hardest to pin down. They could be like modern Scandinavians; once extremely violent (Vikings), now the most peaceful. In some ways the Vulcans are the most original of all the major alien races in ST.

Romulans - Chinese. Similar to the Vulcans, at odds with the Federation (and later the Klingons)
                      Chinese? Try the Romans - their home star system is a double star with the two stars being called Romulus and Remus - the legendary founding brothers of Rome (the Romulan home world, also called Romulus, circles the star Romulus). The Romulans always looked sort of Roman as well. A very ordered civilization but one capable of much brutality. It's obviously Rome.

Ferengi - Europeans (exactly what I thought BEFORE finding this out. That only furthers my belief.)
                      European traders of the mercantilist period, anyway. These guys have an obsession with money in physical form rather than in Smithian wealth creation, so they're definitely mercantilists (even if that wasn't the intention, which I don't think it was). I really don't know where the sexism comes from though; the early European traders were probably the least sexist people on the planet at the time. The Ferengi seem to be more of a bad leftist joke of their view of businessmen than anything based on historical reality.

Finally, you've missed the Cardassians. A very militaristic people who are obsessed with order. Probably a representation of the Germans and maybe specifically the Prussians. The activities of some Cardassians on Bajor is reminiscent of course of things the Nazis did.

The Bajorans, bah, they're an amalgum of native peoples everywhere with their spirituality and all.

Finally, there are the bogeyman races, the Dominion and the Borg. The former of course about cloning and genetic engineering, the latter of increasing cyberization.

Comment

Cardassians are obviously Nazis. Lebensraum, work camps, brutality, fascist leadership.

Comment

Cardassians are the Ottomans, Bajorans (sp?) Jews.

Cardassians from dry, hot planet, Bajorans matriarchal and religious, free themselves from under Cardassian rule.
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Then they ally themselves with Fed. (the West).
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Partly, yes. But the Warrior Code of the Klingons that emerges later is more akin to the Japanese.
                              They are obviously russian. Just look at Star Trek VI.

Collapse of the Soviet Union
                              Chernobil disaster
                              Show trials
                              Siberian Gulags
                              Assasination attempt of Gorbatsov (only succesful this time)
                              UN/NATO being called a west-only club

Cardassians are the Ottomans
                              They are defineltly more Nazi than Ottoman. This has also been confirmed in numerous interviews.

Comment

Originally posted by Saint Marcus

it's the same here though. just not in American shows. Must be a culture thing. US is a lesbian, Europe is gay.
                                Even our women are manly, even your men are effeminate.
                                He's got the Midas touch.
                                But he touched it too much!
                                Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Working...
                                X