India threatens war

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by David Floyd

Erm, why? Would would the US jump into a India-Pakistan war, just because nukes are used? Why would Europe? Why would Russia?
    How about because some of our best forces are already in Pakistan?

I think it's quite possible that, in the event of a nuclear exchange, any carrier groups we have in the region will also be on the receiving end.
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Saber rattling. I don't see India is in any shape to launch an attack right now.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Everyone:

The first power to initiate the use of nuclear weapons will be the real loser at the end of the day, IMHO.

I wouldn't be surprised if China would come in on Pakistan's side, should things go through the roof. China could take advantage of the confusion following a Pakistani first strike and wreak havoc in northern India. Well, provided they had the military power nearby ... how many troops does China have in Tibet?

Seems like I read somewhere that Pakistan came close to hitting an Indian city with a nuclear warhead in 1999.

If that part of the world does go up in flames, I don't think it'd lead to a world war in the "traditional" sense. It might lead to a war that devastates not on the subcontinent area, but the Middle East as well. Perhaps part of the Caucusus region as well?

Gatekeeper
        "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by morb

here's how I figure it. Pakistan is the most likely to throw the nukes into the equation first. They have less of everything as compared to India. They'll want to do as much damage to India as possible before India knows what happend.
          If i'm not mistaken in every "mini-battle" between the two in the last year or so, India losed much more troops than Pakistan. Maybe India has more resources and manpower, but it seems that the the Pakistani soldiers are trained much better.

Or they're downplaying their casualty numbers. Typical for totalitarian Muslim states.
          "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

You've gotta blame India for failing to conclusively win its wars with Pakistan up to now. They have two or three times the military capacity and ten times the population. They should have been able to crush Pakistan without even thinking of nuclear weapons.
            Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

I would consider a war between India and Pakistan to be a world war, since WW1 was concentrated mainly in Europe, and WW2 in Europe and the Far East.

The casualty figures of an India Pakistan war would likely dwarf both those wars put together.

Comment

Doesn't make it a world war though

There's that nice "mad max" scenairo for Civ2, playing after 223 and all. Apparently, that one started when India and Pakistan started a nuclear war against each other, and then, big sensation, the UK joined on the side of India ... in order to help its former colony. Apart from the fact that today's Pakistan was a part of the same colony of India ( enough), the whole idea is silly, but what the heck. The world map had some nice changes

I'm afraid they'll nuke each other, and that will be it, for the military aspect. Noone but possibly China is going to join in, and the biggest problem won't be the dead down there but rather the environmental consequences.

Comment

Especially considering how close that region is to Australia
                  I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
                    Especially considering how close that region is to Australia
                    Check your map - Western Australia is about 3500 Km from the southern tip of India
                    'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
                    - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Wind can move that radiation around, especially if both countries use their entire arsenal against each other.
                      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Doesn't make it a world war though
                        Well what does then?

Comment

UR is right, India doesn't have the capability to launch a (conventional) war at this stage, China could overrun the whole Manipur/Arunachal Pradesh region in a matter of weeks, Indian forces on the border are no match for them.

I think it's all sabre rattling btw
                          "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Should a war start, who will the US back? India has been a long time ally, but since sept.11th Bush has gotten very cozy with Musharaf.
                            Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

Comment

Sorry I can't add anything serious.

In a Simpsons set about 30 years in the future, a load of ancient comedians are working on a project, when a decrepit Krusty comes up with this:

K: Whats the different between a pancake and Pakistan?

K: I don't know any pancakes that were nuked by India!

K: What? Too soon?

Res ipsa loquitur

Comment

hi ,

anyone thought about a pact between Israel and India , .........
                                they allready do their missile drill's together ,.............
                                and , ahem , make their missile's land in the Med , a few yards from a US carrier , who did not saw them coming , ......

have a nice day
                                - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                                - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                                WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Working...
                                X