• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• India threatens war

New Delhi dons warpaint for US envoy
    Saurabh Shukla
    (New Delhi, May 17)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Home Minister LK Advani's expression of "deep disappointment" with the US in Parliament was matched by tough language to US Ambassador Robert Blackwill behind closed doors.
    In meetings on Friday with National Security Advisor Brajesh Mishra and Foreign Minister Jaswant Singh, Blackwill was told the US had failed to fulfil promises to restrain Pakistan from supporting terrorism. India, therefore, would take "appropriate action". A similar message was given to US Secretary of State Colin Powell when he spoke to Singh earlier.

Blackwill's assurances that the US saw the fight against Kashmir militancy as part of the global war on terrorism received a sceptical response.

India said Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf had done nothing concrete to rein in terrorists — despite US promises to the contrary. India showed evidence that cross-border terrorism had increased after Pakistan pledged to fight terror.

Blackwill's request for more time to get Pakistan to comply was rejected.

Blackwill expressed US President George W Bush's concerns about tensions escalating into a full-scale war. India, he was told, would not take rash decisions but as a sovereign country it reserved the right to act on its security needs. India was urged not to break diplomatic relations with Pakistan.

Following these exchanges, there was a ratcheting up of diplomatic activity in the city.

Blackwill and senior US embassy officials reviewed the situation late into the night and consulted with Washington. There was speculation that besides Deputy Secretary of State Richard Armitage, expected in South Asia in the next fortnight, Powell may also fly here.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I hope they keep their nukes under control.

My Indian friends would tell you that getting Musharraf to restrain terror is equivalent to getting Arafat to restrain terror. Neither has any credibility. Actions do not match the rhetoric, etc.

Israel took action and ignored Bush. I fully expect India will too unless Powell can get real action out of Musharraf.

Hopefully, the EU will co-operate with the U.S. on this one.

Ned
    http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

both sides have been itching for a fight for a long time now. if war breaks out, I'm afraid the whole world will be drawn into it. at worst, they could use nuclear weapons on each other. at the least millions of people will be killed on either side.
      I hate Civ3!

Comment

Yea, i started working on a Civ2 scenario in which the whole world goes to war. Pakistan vs. India, Israel vs. Arabs, US vs. Iraq & Afganistan. Things are brewing and its looking bad. There will be major wars yet.
        Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I think that India and Pakistan are the most likely nations to use nukes first and if that happens a world war is almost inevitable.

Comment

I hope they make that region glow in the dark.
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Lincoln, i agree with you, unfortunately. I believe India and Pakistan are gonna get it on some day in the near future, no matter what. They might cool down, but they'll get it on again for sure. And about that nuke thing.. uh oh..
              I hope i'm wrong. Hope the best, fear the worst.
              In da butt.
              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

I think that India and Pakistan are the most likely nations to use nukes first and if that happens a world war is almost inevitable.
                Erm, why? Would would the US jump into a India-Pakistan war, just because nukes are used? Why would Europe? Why would Russia?
                Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Well let's just say that there would be international outrage. Who knows where that would lead. Then you have the Moslem thing involved etc.

Comment

I doubt the US would intervene militarily, and Europe certainly wouldn't, and Russia doesn't have the capability. China sorta does, but they have no reason to either.

Outrage, sure. World War 3, no.
                    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                    Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

I guess we will just have to wait and see. I hope someone can prevent them from blowing each other up anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by David Floyd
                        I doubt the US would intervene militarily, and Europe certainly wouldn't, and Russia doesn't have the capability. China sorta does, but they have no reason to either.

here's how I figure it. Pakistan is the most likely to throw the nukes into the equation first. They have less of everything as compared to India. They'll want to do as much damage to India as possible before India knows what happend.

Considering the Paki gov't has a hard enough time teaming the masses in peace time, you could see how rouge or non government militias will use this to their advantage to propegate the conflict even more to advance their own causes.

The US and pretty much rest of the world (west) will likely jump in to put a lid on Pakis at the request or maybe even please for help by India. The Arabs/Muslims could get really outraged by this and see it as an opportunity to declare all out war. Things are already tense. They could set off countless terracts all over the world only making the "war on terror" more legitimate and "GO"

Everything is related in the world. If nukes are invloved, you can be sure the major powers will step in if only to make sure that they aren't the next target in all the chaos.
                        I hate Civ3!

Comment

There's a chance that China would team up with Pakistan against India. China and India have fought before and each still occupies territory claimed by the other. China and Pakistan have been doing a lot of military cooperation.

Comment

Erm, why? Would would the US jump into a India-Pakistan war, just because nukes are used? Why would Europe? Why would Russia?
                            Prevent global warming? move engineers in place?

Comment

I put them both on Axis of Evil then. They have wom, and are threatning using them.
                              In da butt.
                              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Working...
                              X