No announcement yet.

Greeks to Rebuild Collossus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depends how big is nuts are now doesnt it?

Back then ships werent very large, no problems. Or it could be drawbridge. Colossus spilts in two when a big ship comes in.

Comment

ouch

Comment

Anyway, I think its a great idea. If I ever went to Europe with time on my hands, that would be a MUST see. Along with the Colisuem.
        Last edited by faded glory; May 14, 2002, 15:17.

Comment

He could have a big penis that gates the entrance to the harbour. When flacid, it will be down blocking the entrance, until a ship comes and then arousal occurs. Great idea, and would provide hours of amusement for tourists
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

just as long as it is sctructuraly secure and the enormous penis doesn't suddently fall on the heads of some unfortunate sailors.

Comment

The kurds are gonna think thats real scary. A guy with a sword and torch standing over there harbor pointing at them.

lol provost

Comment

Originally posted by History Guy
                Arrian's right. The Colossus was downed after standing only one hundred years. It fell smack dab into the bay, but divers somehow managed to raise it, piece by piece, and they brought it up onto shore and built a temple to Helios (the sun god that the Colossus portrayed) around it. The Turks arrived in, I think the 700s, and, as usual, set to destroy every bit of culture they could find. The Colossus was sent off as scrap.

It's odd that, as the Turks or a Muslim bunch seem to have destroyed or attempted to destroy several of the wonders at one point or another. The Pharos was a lucky one. It was just turned into a mosque. The Statue of Zeus was vandalized, the temple burned down. The tomb of Halicarnisuss was also destroyed by Turks. The stinkers even took a shot at the Great Pyramids, ripping off the limestone casing of the greatest of the three. Even more recently, our old buds the smelly old Taliban came up with a plan...failed of course...the blow the things up! Those poor wonders!
                History: The Turks weren't as prolific as you imagine.
                the staute lay in fragments for many years so when the Arabs arrived, they simply took the fragments and sold them.

The spinx was damaged by the French. I don't remember anything about the pyrimids being shot at. Though it is possible.

the statue of Zeus was originally damaged by earthquake and fire. It was moved from the temple by Greeks IIRC where it was later destroyed.

The tomb of Halicarnisuss
                For 16 centuries, the Mausoleum remained in good condition until an earthquake caused some damage to the roof and colonnade. In the early fifteenth century, the Knights of St John of Malta invaded the region and built a massive crusader castle. When they decided to fortify it in 1494, they used the stones of the Mausoleum. By 1522, almost every block of the Mausoleum had been disassembled and used for construction.
                One interesting note. some of sculptures found their way to London.

It seems that mother nature can be credited with most of the destruction of the Seven Wonders. That and good old fashioned "lets use the stones from that building" to buld our house/fort/street.
                Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Originally posted by faded glory
                  Anyway, I think its a great idea. If I ever went to Europe with time on my hands, that would be a MUST see. Along with the Colisuem.
                  The Colisuem is great but all in all, I found the Northern part of Italy with it's natural beauty far better. Rome is dirty and over crowded.
                  Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Originally posted by paiktis22
                    and just what were these allegded inconsistencies and this unbalanced view of greek history and heritage? mind sharing them with me?
                    1) That Alexander the great was some kind of angel against other cultures and that was the result of the unique culture, 2) that Greeks in some way would be immune against elitism just because of a short time of ancient democracy while there's a clear and simple fact that you had a fascist regime three decades ago. That what I call unbalanced.

you just went on trolling me instead of replying to me on what I corrected you.
                    Yeah, you interpeted a general statement by me to be universal in all chases, i trolled it of and you went nuts. Called my arguments pathetic (it was a troll!!!) etc.

you also seem to have a problem with people who are correcting you on some points and think that they do it out of pride of their history.
                    Considering the way you did it and what had been earlier stated by you in this thread i hardly think that was a totally absurd asumption. At the same time some turk-bashing was going on.

actually I think that the very concept of taking pride on one's history is repulsive to you. (FYI: that does not mean that one does not see the negatives or that he cares discussing it at any given time or that he is nationalistic).
                    Yes, I can agree that I don't find much nice in people bragging about their own heritage. I considering it to be about the same as someone bragging about his or her parents, somewhat pointless and pathetic. The way you acted you surely didn't seem to take the negative parts of the history into acount (the stuff about demos was just BS, surely you must see that). I found it to be a nice opportunity to pull you leg.

and yes, feel free to call me a barbarian anytime!

Comment

yeah rome is dirty and overcrowded like athens.

and its antiquities left me dissapointed when compared to the athenian ones.

although colloseum was impressive.

i like italy for its rennesance mostly.

but OTOH i also got a feeling of the "blending" of greek and roman scultpure and architecture in rome which was also nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Kropotkin
                        1) That Alexander the great was some kind of angel against other cultures and that was the result of the unique culture
                        alexander was not an angel but he did not destroy cultural hotspots. simple do you get it now?

hellenic culture and the first notion of nation wide identity was first created after the first defeat of persia, in Greece (maceodnia attika peloponese theba aegean islands etc) got that too?

("it was not the athenians that defeated persia but all of hellas" )

, 2) that Greeks in some way would be immune against elitism just because of a short time of ancient democracy while there's a clear and simple fact that you had a fascist regime three decades ago. That what I call unbalanced.
                        that democracy by definition goes against elitism. that greeks are to the point of nausea and counter productiveness saturated with the ideals of democracy

Yeah, you interpeted a general statement by me to be universal in all chases, i trolled it of and you went nuts. Called my arguments pathetic (it was a troll!!!) etc.
                        missed me here.

Considering the way you did it and what had been earlier stated by you in this thread i hardly think that was a totally absurd asumption. At the same time some turk-bashing was going on.
                        that WHAT was an absurd assumption?
                        try to make your points clear.

and yes, feel free to call me a barbarian anytime!
                        since historic accuracy is so important to you (even if you do not serve it) then yes you're a barbarian in contrast to me.

Comment

Dont get me wrong. the Roman sites were impressive. They just kind of left me with ok. I saw them now. What else do we do?

And you want a dirty city. Try Venice.

Comment

Originally posted by Sprayber
                            Dont get me wrong. the Roman sites were impressive. They just kind of left me with ok. I saw them now. What else do we do?

And you want a dirty city. Try Venice.
                            venice smelled!

but it was nice especially those flower covered balconies over the canals... ah...

2 things that also got my attention:

the bridge of the devil
                            the bridge of the greeks
                            (no relation)

Comment

I can't back this up and I don't have figures, but I think there are more Japanese tourists in Venice than there are Italians.

Although there was a nice little bar tucked away from the main tourist traps that served very good beer and had very nice looking waitress

Comment

hey Spray!
                                I went to McDonalds' in Venice too

(honest!)

(they were cheap )

but I went in august and the humidity combined with the heat killed me
                                (not advisable time to visit )

Comment

Working...
                                X