Greeks to Rebuild Collossus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ZoboZeWarrior

I'm agree... It's clear that french built it for puritan americans... If we built it for personnal pleasure, the statue wouldn't wear those uninteresting clothes !

Yes with a shield and a torch over the harbor. The plans are to make it 20 stories high or so. It should look better then the SoL.

Comment

I mean that the statue of liberty without any clothes would have look better !
      Zobo Ze Warrior
      --
      Your brain is your worst enemy!

Comment

Will the Greeks still get +1 trade on each tile? Or does the invention of Flight still make it obsolete?
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

only one "L" in colossus...ONE!

I think it sounds pretty cool, though I'm sure another earthquake will take colossus jr. down as well
          "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
          You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

no it will be made seismic resistant

Comment

According to the show I saw (discovery channel, 7 wonders of the ancient world - same as you right?), the Colossus came down in an earthquake and lay where it fell for a long time, and was still quite impressive. When the Turks showed up, they removed the shattered remants and melted it down to reuse the bronze. Bastards.

There apparently was an oracle that said rebuilding the Colossus would result in the destruction of Rhodes.

-Arrian
              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                According to the show I saw (discovery channel, 7 wonders of the ancient world - same as you right?), the Colossus came down in an earthquake and lay where it fell for a long time, and was still quite impressive. When the Turks showed up, they removed the shattered remants and melted it down to reuse the bronze. Bastards.
                Yup.

There apparently was an oracle that said rebuilding the Colossus would result in the destruction of Rhodes.
                Well, lets see if the Oracle was correct

besides, I'm sure the Greeks won't miss it
                You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

Comment

It is the first time I hear about that oracle.
                  some weirdo no doubt...

well just to prove him wrong alone, WE SHOULD BUILD IT!

Comment

we have a long history of challenging the Gods

We can refute Hybris and laught at the face of Nemesis

Comment

Arrian's right. The Colossus was downed after standing only one hundred years. It fell smack dab into the bay, but divers somehow managed to raise it, piece by piece, and they brought it up onto shore and built a temple to Helios (the sun god that the Colossus portrayed) around it. The Turks arrived in, I think the 700s, and, as usual, set to destroy every bit of culture they could find. The Colossus was sent off as scrap.

It's odd that, as the Turks or a Muslim bunch seem to have destroyed or attempted to destroy several of the wonders at one point or another. The Pharos was a lucky one. It was just turned into a mosque. The Statue of Zeus was vandalized, the temple burned down. The tomb of Halicarnisuss was also destroyed by Turks. The stinkers even took a shot at the Great Pyramids, ripping off the limestone casing of the greatest of the three. Even more recently, our old buds the smelly old Taliban came up with a plan...failed of course...the blow the things up! Those poor wonders!
                      Empire growing,
                      Pleasures flowing,
                      Fortune smiles and so should you.

Comment

I think it would be a cool idea, particularly if they transplant Copernicus' Observatory and Isaac Newton's College brick by brick to turn Rhodes into a real life Super Science City!
                        Do they have any gold or whales nearby?
                        Whether you like it or not, history is on our side.
                        We will bury you.

- N.S. Khrushchev

Comment

Last edited by orange; May 14, 2002, 11:22.

Comment

Last edited by Bereta_Eder; May 14, 2002, 13:57.

Comment

Destroying cultural artifacts is not exacly a turkish speciality. I'd say it's an almost universal behavior by conquerors. For the colossus it at least seems to make perfect sense, all that bronze just lying there to no use at all (from a turkish perspective at least).

Comment

Originally posted by Kropotkin
                                Destroying cultural artifacts is not exacly a turkish speciality. I'd say it's an almost universal behavior by conquerors. For the colossus it at least seems to make perfect sense, all that bronze just lying there to no use at all (from a turkish perspective at least).

oph you're so wrong viking barbarian.

Alexander the Great DID NOT destroy temples and cultural artifacts of the people conquered. He was actually the ONLY ONE not to do so because that's what Greek Culture dictates.
                                get your facts straight

Comment

Working...
                                X