No announcement yet.

Englands Group in the World Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, I'd say we're both royally ****ed. Unless we trounce the Beaneaters, which with out current squad will be rather impossible. Although Ljungberg is on a roll...

(What is it with Swedes and user names based on Patricians of Ankh-Morpork? )
    Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
    Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

Bah. We'll beat England and Nigeria. But, as someone said, we'll most likely end up with France in the 2nd round. Thanks for playing...

Groups of death should be an impossibility, it's totally unfair to both the teams and the fans/audience. I blame it on the seeding, how the **** could they eg. consider geographical factors?!
      Last edited by Juggernaut; May 5, 2002, 16:05.

Comment

C'mon stop the whining!!! So what we are in the group of death? Its not like we've ever performed when we were supposed to. The way I see it we could not have gotten a better draw. At least 3 good games.
        It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

Originally posted by Snapcase:
          "(What is it with Swedes and user names based on Patricians of Ankh-Morpork? )"

I really wouldn't know. Don't tell me there are ever more than the two of us posting as patricians (which ones are left anyway?)
          At least this one isn't actually mad as such

Originally posted by Wille:
          "C'mon stop the whining!!! So what we are in the group of death? Its not like we've ever performed when we were supposed to. The way I see it we could not have gotten a better draw. At least 3 good games."

I know. Swedish football reporters has been going totally mad about what a good undefeated team we have, when the only team of some significance we've beaten the last few years is Turkey. (Not counting friendlies here) Sweden has never been a great football nation (don't even get me started on 94, all we did was beat Saudi-Arabia and Romania in the play offs, and Bulgaria in the match for 3rd prize. Good footballers all of them, but not best-of-the-world material)
          No, wait, if we build this large wooden badger......

Comment

If the last world cup was anything to go by the England vs Argentina game should be (one of) the best game of the tournament.

Does east germany field its own team now? God I'm so out of it over here!

No, no,no.... they did until 1989 or so.
            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

"Englands Group in the World Cup"
              What do you mean with Englands group! It's not like the own the group. It belongs to FIFA.

As for the real issue. I don't get the first reply Holland wasn't good enough that's all. It's not like it was even amoungst the 30 best teams in Europe so they shouldn't be in the WC no matter how many places you give to Europe.

As for the division of places it's fair to say that in the world cup for the most popular sport in the world all the continents should be represented. But I do think that there's to many places given away to areas with few teams that actually holds any qualities worthy of the world cup. Partly this is due to politics but also, two places had to be reserved for the host nations and at the same time give other asian countries a chance to qualify.

Comment

This means that if England (or Sweden) manages to grab a hold of the second position in the group (I am asuming that Argentina will win the group), they will most likely meet France as their first play-off opponent. Doesent sound like England or Sweden will have a very succesfull world cup this year.
                You should not sweat too much about encountering the french team. As French, they are known to win only when they're not supposed to, so I would not be surprised to see them eliminated on the very first round
                Science without conscience is the doom of the soul.

Comment

Originally posted by Sagacious Dolphin
                  If the last world cup was anything to go by the England vs Argentina game should be (one of) the best game of the tournament.
                  The problem with the early round games is that it can be a battle of not losing.

Does east germany field its own team now? God I'm so out of it over here!

No, no,no.... they did until 1989 or so.
                  It just goes to show that I should read the posts carefully. I thought I had missed some kind of east-west split of the German team.
                  We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                  If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                  Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by Kropotkin
                    "Englands Group in the World Cup"
                    What do you mean with Englands group! It's not like the own the group. It belongs to FIFA.
                    Kanske din engelska er inte battre an min Svenska (ja tro den inte ).

In this case it means the group in which England is a participant. No ownership is implied.
                    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Argentina's Group in the WC

It's true, it isn't England's group, it's Argentina's.

Argentina even beat the German team with a team of replacement players, all the first line players weren't playing and we still beat them.

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH
                        In this case it means the group in which England is a participant. No ownership is implied.
                        O know that, it's just that everyone here knows that it's Swedens group

Comment

Well now if we can just get somebody from Nigeria here to claim it for that country it'll all be even.
                          Admittedly its one of the toughest groups but Group G doesn't have it that easy either - Croatia, Mexico, Equador and Italy. Ouch.

Comment

Re: Argentina's Group in the WC

Originally posted by El Awrence
                            It's true, it isn't England's group, it's Argentina's.

Argentina even beat the German team with a team of replacement players, all the first line players weren't playing and we still beat them.

Remind me what the Wales - Argentina score was?
                            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

But Wales is not in the World Cup so who cares about those unemployed coalminers anyway.

Comment

Re: Re: Argentina's Group in the WC

Originally posted by Sagacious Dolphin
                                Remind me what the Wales - Argentina score was?
                                Wales tied Argentina?

Wish I would've seen that. Damn America, or more specifically, its lack of television coverage for international football. Enough of this MLS bull**** already!
                                Last edited by Drake Tungsten; May 6, 2002, 11:32.
                                KH FOR OWNER!
                                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X