No announcement yet.

No zero tolerance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It would be interesting if the Church did a 180 and only ordained married men. That would largely solve this pedophilia problem.

BTW, the Church ought to reexamine Christ's relationship with Mary Magdalene. She apparently was the daughter of a rich family - thus the last name. She and the other women took care of Jesus and the apostles. Even though Jesus cast out from her 7 devils, she probably was not a prostitute. After all, Mother Theresa underwent an exorcism.

It was clear that Mary Magdalene and Jesus were constant companions. Yet Jesus' ability to carry on his mission was not impaired. Perhaps this could provide the Church with a basis for rethinking whether Priests can both be married and be effective pastors.
    http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

• Well, obviously yes.

Are there some instances in which psychiatry uses socially acceptible behavioral norms as a factor in determining what behaviors are disordered and what are not? Yes.
      Ok, so let me get this straight:
      A behavior is a mental disorder iff:
      1. It causes harm to oneself or others and
      2. It is socially acceptable.

Seems arbitrary to me... Of course, I suppose I shouldn't expect much else from psychiatry.

Let me point a few things out to you: If you're a pedophile and manage to keep it to yourself you're not going to wind up in treatment unless you ask for it, are you? If you ask for treatment your pedophilia is obviously a disorder, because it's bothering you enough to cause you to shell out HUGE amounts of money for treatment. ( You're not going to send the bills for treatment of pedophilia to your insurance comany are you? )
      So there are actually treatments for pedophilia? Are they effective?

e·go·tist n.- A selfish, self-centered person
      Bah, that's a crap definition.
      "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
      -Bokonon

Comment

• Originally posted by Ned
        It was clear that Mary Magdalene and Jesus were constant companions. Yet Jesus' ability to carry on his mission was not impaired.
        Im not advocating celebacy, but this hardly means that he was sleeping with her.
        ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
        ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

• Originally posted by Caligastia

Im not advocating celebacy, but this hardly means that he was sleeping with her.
          However, the Church's arguments for celibacy are centered on keeping the Priest's focus on his missions as pastor rather than on providing for his family. However, Christ did not seem to have that problem with Mary Magdalene as his companion.

Whether he was sleeping with her or not is something we cannot know.

Ned
          http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
            Yes tere have been a few, but from what I understand the Catholic church wasn't happy with the results and there won't be any more.
            The Catholic church certainly has not been advertising the fact, but from what I understand the number has been increasing over time. My guess is that within a generation we will have married priests as a matter of practicality if nothing else. (Unless more fiascos like this drive away far more laity than they do clergy.)
            Old posters never die.
            They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

• Originally posted by Dalgetti
              Mr.Fun : I think what he tries to say is : "hey , I really discourage it , and I think we should educate people not to do this, but If you do this anyway, I am ok with that. " . like smoking.

do you have a problem with this statement?
              Yeah, I do disagree with that statement, and here is why.

Any sex done between mutually consenting adults that does no harm to others, nor themselves, is not immoral, in my opinion.

So why discourage something that poses no harm or danger to anyone?

Now, pedophilia is entirely different, as I have explained dozens of times in the past. Pedophilia is indeed harmful, and immoral.
              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• I think that they were pedophil before being priests. Maybe they were searching a way to have a social justification of not have sex with women. Or maybe they hoped that religion make them overcome their urge.
                Zobo Ze Warrior
                --
                Your brain is your worst enemy!

Comment

• smoking privately doesn't harm other people either, yet children are incouraged not to do so.

and , of course , paedophilia is different.

damn I sound like a conservative.
                  urgh.NSFW

Comment

Working...
                  X