Interesting Inside Info on SW2: Attack of the Clones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Inside Info on SW2: Attack of the Clones

Saw this on Time.com... it sounds really good!

Some excerpts:

He probably thinks it odd to be asked to justify a picture that earned $431 million at the North American box office, behind only Titanic, the original Star Wars and E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial as an all-time top grosser. But the writer-producer-director-megamind—who in his spare time runs a film conglomerate that includes the Lucasfilm production outfit, the ILM visual-effects house and Skywalker Sound—says he was always aware of at least one Phantom risk: that Anakin Skywalker, the Jedi knight in training who would evolve into the sinister Darth Vader, was a kid. "I said, 'They're gonna hate this. They're gonna get really upset that I have a 9-year-old as the hero.' But what can I do? That's the story. I can't make him 15. The whole story is about where he came from, who is he? You had to start in the beginning."

Now, with Star Wars: Episode II—Attack of the Clones opening May 16, the Anakin fable gets to the middle, the meat, the real story. The past was prologue, a modest prequel, like Tolkien's The Hobbit to his epic Lord of the Rings saga. In Clones, Anakin (Canadian dish Hayden Christensen) is 20, a young man of superior skills and even higher ambitions, chafing under the stern tutelage of his mentor, Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor), and daring to risk his status in the Jedi Order, which forbids romantic attachments, by pursuing a reckless passion for Senator Padme Amidala (Natalie Portman). They parry with oily, possibly insidious Senator Palpatine (Ian McDiarmid) and battle the Jedi rebel Dooku (Christopher Lee) and his droids with an army cloned from scurvy bounty hunter Jango Fett (Maori actor Temuera Morrison).

Hmmm, admits that PM probably was going have major problems but it was needed for background.

After seeing a rough cut of the film and reading the script, we can say that Clones seems poised to get the series back on track—and provide an exhilarating two hours of serious fun. It should easily ace the last movie in chills (when two icky centipedal creatures called "kouhuns" crawl into the sleeping Padme's bed) and thrills (when Anakin and Obi-Wan drag-race the changeling Zam Wessel across Coruscant's wonderfully varied urban nightscape).

The Anakin of Clones is an attractive fellow, full of a young man's roiling contradictions. He respects the Jedi ethic while squirming to elude its strictures; he loves both his faraway mother and the royal temptation at his side; he does engage in a revenge massacre but feels remorse for it; he is disarming and, finally, literally disarmed. By the end of Clones, Anakin is still a decent, stalwart gent, light-years removed from the malefic Vader.

I like having a complex Anakin. Of course the protagonist of SW: PM was Obi-Wan and Qui-Jan (sp?)

In Clones, Lucas goes a way toward answering that question. "That's the issue that I've been exploring: How did the Republic turn into the Empire? That's paralleled with: How did Anakin turn into Darth Vader? How does a good person go bad, and how does a democracy become a dictatorship? It isn't that the Empire conquered the Republic, it's that the Empire is the Republic." Lucas' comments clarify the connection between the Anakin trilogy and the Luke trilogy: that the Empire was created out of the corruption of the Republic, and that somebody had to fight it. "One day Princess Leia and her friends woke up and said, 'This isn't the Republic anymore, it's the Empire. We are the bad guys. Well, we don't agree with this. This democracy is a sham, it's all wrong.'"

I like this... a little... philisophical, if I can say it .

"The next film is really dark," he says. "The issue is, Will people stand for it? But I've got to tell the story.

Woohoo!

SW2 is looking better and better!! Can't wait!
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Yep... The trailer is very promising... I saw it on the movies.... It propably can be found on starwars.com (I haven't checked it)...
    I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

...thrills (when Anakin and Obi-Wan drag-race the changeling Zam Wessel across Coruscant's wonderfully varied urban nightscape).
      Oh great, another teaser for the tie-in video game
      'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
      - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Any news as to whether everybody's favourite SW character,
        Jar-Jar Binks, is back for even more screen time, as malevolent
        rumour would have it?
        "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
        "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

NOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooo!
          Kill Jar-Jar! Annoying bugs-****ing-alienbunny!

Comment

I've already forgotten the name of Obi Wan's teacher from ep1

Comment

That would be Qui-gon Jinn... or sumpin' like thaat....

Comment

What a gyp! They require QuickTime Pro to see the damn trailers.
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

When the SW: Ep2 trailers showed at LOTR just about everyone in the theatre broke out in laughter.

It seems like a mix of a bad action movie, bad romantic movie, and a bad teenage-rebellion movie ("I'm going to be the best Jedi EVER!" as he rides along on his motorcycle-esque vehicle).

Don't get your hopes up too high, I'm not looking forward to seeing an entire page of angry-faced posts on Poly when this thing comes out because it's bad, just like what happened with TPM.

Lucas isn't in here to make good movies, here's here to make money. Much of his money comes from SW Merchandise, which tends to fall on kids buying them, so go figure he caters his movies to kids.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                    What a gyp! They require QuickTime Pro to see the damn trailers.
                    It's free to download.

Comment

I appologize if this has been discussed to death, but there is a review out on the net of an early version that leaked.
                      I saw Star Wars Episode Two: Attack of the Clones hours ago. The ‘how’ of that will be a thing of mystery buried in a passed piece of paper from my book signing with a hotel, a room number and a time listed upon it. You don’t want to know...

It sounds like it may be a true return to form for Lucas.
                      http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                        It's free to download.
                        QuickTime Pro is $29.95. QuickTime is the free download . . . unless you're talking about warez.
                        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Look at the medium-size ones.
                          Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
                          Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

QuickTime Pro is $29.95. QuickTime is the free download . . . unless you're talking about warez.
                            No. I followed the link from starwars.com and was able to download it for free. I have all the trailers and they don't require Pro.

Comment

I folowed the link also, downloaded QT 5, went back to the site, and saw the image say, this requires QT Pro.

Comment

Working...
                              X