No announcement yet.

Editor of New Republic on Euro anti-semitism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's very paritsan, like The Nation, but that doesn't mean that the people who write for it are liars and idiots. There is a legitimate point in there, that people shouldn't criticize the Israelis without criticizing the Palestinians. Even propaganda has some kernel of truth.

Bottom line: Israel is wrong. The PA is wrong. If you blame one, recognize that both are guilty of reprehensible actions.
    John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
      Hardly that respected a journal.
      Note to non-US posters:
      Most liberals in the US treat The New Republic as holy writ.
      Old posters never die.
      They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

Most of the stuff in TNR is pretty good. They're anti-Bush but they were also anti-Clinton, pro-gay rights, anti-ANWR drilling, but pro war on terrorism. They've got some very interesting writers, like Andrew O'Sullivan.

Comment

Most of the stuff in TNR is pretty good.
          so is this article an exception?
          Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

Comment

Can I give a negative score? -1.0

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Smith
              Note to non-US posters:
              Most liberals in the US treat The New Republic as holy writ.
              While the New Republic is "the" magazine for the liberals in the US... please remember that it's circulation is LESS the 100K.
              Many liberals in the US don't even know it exists let alone read it
              Keep on Civin'
              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Ming

While the New Republic is "the" magazine for the liberals in the US... please remember that it's circulation is LESS the 100K.
                Many liberals in the US don't even know it exists let alone read it
                Good call. Even a psychotic liberal like me hasn't heard of it.

Comment

Ming:
                  it's circulation is LESS the 100K.
                  How does that compare with other major political opinion magazines?
                  Dissent, Commentary, and The Nation come to mind.
                  Others?
                  I suspect that all of them have relatively small circulations.

I have never been in the business of promoting The New Republic, or anybody like them, so I will leave it at that.
                  Old posters never die.
                  They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

Over the years, I've placed tons of ads in most of those magazines.

The New Republic (1914) = 98K
                    The Nation (1865) = 94K
                    National Review (1955) = 156K
                    Commentary (1945) = 26K
                    Foreign Affairs = 109K
                    Human Events (1944) = 80K
                    Mother Jones (1976) = 165K
                    Reason (1968) = 53K
                    The Weekly Standard (1995) = 54K

Then the Big Three Hard Core Washington Insider pubs:

National Journal (1969) = 10K
                    CQ Weekly (1945) =7K
                    The Hill (1994) = 20K

You will note that TNR is not the oldest... or the largest...

The National Review, which is TNR's conservative counterpart, has a much higher circulation.
                    Keep on Civin'

Comment

Shouldn' t that be: "How does that compare with other major satire magazines?"

Comment

The most funny are the magazines that think they're serious - like this one
                        Entertainment guaranteed

Comment

All the magazines I listed take themselves VERY SERIOUSLY

Keep on Civin'

Comment

The 1929 Nobel Peace Prize was awarded to U.S. Secretary of State Frank Kellogg. And why not? The year before, he had persuaded the great powers to outlaw war. Among those that ratified the historic Kellogg-Briand pact were the democratic countries, plus Germany, Japan, and Italy.
                            To give some concrete point: In 1929, Germany was a perfectly democratic country. Hitler came to power in 1933. This is something a journalist should be aware of.

The rest of the article is written in a purely polemic style, and as such I don't take it serious.
                            Why doing it the easy way if it is possible to do it complicated?

Comment

If I want news, I stick to The Economist. If I want entertainment, I watch cartoons. Papers like TNR are somewhere in the middle--they don't satisfy you either way.
                              <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
                                Over the years, I've placed tons of ads in most of those magazines.

The New Republic (1914) = 98K
                                The Nation (1865) = 94K
                                National Review (1955) = 156K
                                Commentary (1945) = 26K
                                Foreign Affairs = 109K
                                Human Events (1944) = 80K
                                Mother Jones (1976) = 165K
                                Reason (1968) = 53K
                                The Weekly Standard (1995) = 54K

Then the Big Three Hard Core Washington Insider pubs:

National Journal (1969) = 10K
                                CQ Weekly (1945) =7K
                                The Hill (1994) = 20K

You will note that TNR is not the oldest... or the largest...

The National Review, which is TNR's conservative counterpart, has a much higher circulation.
                                1. What type(s) of messages did you deliver? What types of audiences did you target? This is fascinating.

2. Did you consider using the Washington Post, New York Times or Wall Street Journal to hit your target? Maybe the Sunday opinion section of the NYT or WP?

3. NR and TNR aren't as much of counterparts as people say they are. (I know it is popular to do so...) TNR is more scholarly in tone than NR (analogy might be NPR and Limbaugh...although both mags are better than their radio analogues..) TNR is also more middle of the road than hard left. Where NR is pretty hard right.

Comment

Working...
                                X