Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does Hollywood now eulogise the Vietnam fiasco?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
    As for the latest Vietnam movie, We were soldiers, Ia Drang was an epic modern battle, the first large scale test of using airmobile forces in combat, and the book by Hal Moore and Joe Galloway is an exceptional account of the battle and what led to it, with input from both sides via a large number of interviews with participants. I haven't seen the movie to see if / how much they've butchered the book, but the book is an excellent read.
    I have not read the book, but saw the movie. CNN had Galloway and the real Col. on their show just before the movie was release and both said the movie was very very close to the book.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

And Joeseph1944's comment is an excellent example of the fifth columnist belief that we were sabotaged in our war effort, rather than: we were worn down by an enemy who would never quit, got tired of fighting for a government that could not and would not defend itself, got tired of fighting a war the majority of our population was against, got tired of fighting a war that ended the post-war boom, were scared that the growing unrest and mutinies in the US service personal in Vietnam would pose a serious problem. In the end, Nixon negotiated the same agreement that Johnson had on the table in '68 (the same one that Nixon sabotaged in order to ensure his election). So what were those extra five years of war for, other than to kill another 30,000 Americans and million+ Vietnamese.
      McGovern did his own sabotaged when he said he would surrender to the North and just walk away. If Johnson or Nixon gave the word the US Military would have taken N. Vietnam any time. Our goal was not to conquer the North just make them leave the South along. You know you can only read about Vietnam, but I live it each and every day, not in country but here and at work. Since I worked for the US Navy I saw and talked to lots of people who did served in Nam. If you ever want to really know about something talk to the people who were there, and since I did talk to a sailor (March, 1965 a few days before my discharge) who was on the Turner Joy, I know what happen.
      Last edited by Guest; April 22, 2002, 21:14.

Comment

Accurate war movies are few and far between. The realities of war are not actually very entertaining, quite the opposite.
        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Oh stick your sanctimonious sermonizing in...your west island.

Comment

West Island?
            Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

Don't you know? North Island, South Island and West Island! hee hee!
              Last edited by TCO; April 22, 2002, 22:55.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
                West Island?
                That's where I live, GP...
                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Killing it is the new killing it
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by GP
                  Don't you know? Norht Island, South Island and West Island! hee hee!
                  ROFLOL

Comment

Originally posted by Felch X
                    In some cases people are better off not being able to vote, especially when illiteracy and regionalism are rampant, and ignorance of the world is the norm.
                    Could that be the United States of America? Could it?
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

What nmatters is the right of people to determine their own destiny.
                      This type of response is spoken by many people around the world, from all different walks of life.

I am not singling you out, Che, but I will use this quote to ask one question.

If the rights for people to make up their own minds is abused, then is it not right for people in a better position , to offer help? I am not saying the Vietnam war or any war for that matter, is right or wrong... I don't usually give my own personal views on these things. There is not enough time for me to debate them consistently , on the internet

But I like to ask questions of people to learn more and for the "read".

And in regards to the question I asked... a followup would be.... in reference to Vietnam and in the present tense.... what about the Montagnards?

Comment

Originally posted by UberKruX
                        but truth be told, they ARE war heroes. it doesn't matter if we didnt attain total victory, it doesnt matter if we shouldn't have been there, what matters is that these men put their life on the line because their country needed them (i was going to say "to defend our country", but that doesn't fit right).

The people who served there deserve to be eulogized by Hollywood, even if the war itself doesn't.
                        Freedom is just unawareness of being manipulated.

Comment

Originally posted by OldWarrior_42

what about the Montagnards?
                          Hill tribes cover all the countries of mainland South East Asia and Southern China. They are nomadic or were until very recently and don't really matter in the politics of any of the countries - except in national security and narcotic terms. Their numbers are too small for them to be of much significance politically or economically in any of the countries. It was wrong of the United States to draw them into the IndoChina wars. They've been paying for it ever since.

Comment

If , as you say, they should have no real influence in where they are living presently... then should they not at least be afforded the right to peacably exit the country if they so choose, or to at least live in their home country while not being persecuted, executed blah blah ?

Comment

And I only used them in a small reference to Vietnam. The larger question , about any place on Earth , still exists.

If people are not given the right to choose for themselves, and instead are caused great suffering and hardship, is it not right for someone in a better position to help?

The question remains.

Comment

Originally posted by OldWarrior_42
                                If , as you say, they should have no real influence in where they are living presently... then should they not at least be afforded the right to peacably exit the country if they so choose, or to at least live in their home country while not being persecuted, executed blah blah ?
                                Actually they do move around a lot and over long distances. Many of them only migrated out of Southern China in the last 50 years, even as far as Northern Thailand, which may surprise many of you. The borders in that part of the world are very porous - if you want to move out of a country you can easily do so. The main problem regional governments have now is getting them to stop in one spot or at least one country so they can get papers, id cards and so forth.

Actually I once met, by chance in a hilltribe village I was staying at, the man reputed to be the CIA's most effective agent in South East Asia during the IndoChina wars. He was/is a Baptist Pastor There he was, still handing out the bibles Of course in times past he was handing out guns and bibles Looked a bit like Billy Graham - same flock and style - very charismatic guy.

Comment

Working...
                                X