X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by joseph1944
    A big No.
    Well maybe to me and a few other.
    During the Cuba Missile deal I was in Security division at NTC in San Diego. They took all of us to a gun range to teach us to shoot. I cannot remember if they said it was because of Cuba or that we may have to arm you in case something is going on while standing your watch. They just don't talk to everone most of the time. In the US Gov. it is "need to know" and if they belived you do not need to know they will not tell you. As I understand it most Sub crews do not know were they are day to day in the world.
    What subs were you on? I served on the Char, the Ronquil and the Permit from 66 to 69.

Comment

• Its true that the spooks should not be left to their own devices and that there needs to be a major re-org in the US.

Observant, .............. many moons ago........but during some interesting times

Close but no cigar
      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
      If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
      Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

• Originally posted by SpencerH
        Its true that the spooks should not be left to their own devices and that there needs to be a major re-org in the US.

Observant, .............. many moons ago........but during some interesting times

Close but no cigar
        hi ,

well , re-org in the entire western world , why , well , survival is all about the abilty to addapt to given circumstances , ......

and they dont invest , ....rr , no even in cellphones , mamamia , ........

moons , hmmmm, "nightstalker" , ...........?
        active , overseas , RES NON VERBA

have a nice day
        - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
        - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
        WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

• Voices from the past...

Notice the date on this article. The Democrats are shameless. First they did not want to hear about non specific threats and now they singing another tune. Shameless. My, my, my...

October 31, 2001

Dem senators lambaste vague terrorism warning

Senate Democrats criticized the Bush administration Tuesday for its warning that another terrorist attack could come in the next week, without giving any specifics.

“As if we’re not on high alert already,” Sen. Chris Dodd (D-Conn.) said after Director of the Office of Homeland Security Tom Ridge briefed Senate Democrats. “It provokes its own level of panic.”

On Monday, Attorney General John Ashcroft cited “credible” information to indicate there would be new terrorist attacks within the United States or abroad in the next week. But he said he could not identify specific targets or the type of attacks.

Dodd said many of his colleagues questioned Ashcroft’s action. “What the hell are you saying this for? We all know this is a pretty precarious time.”

Sen. Richard Durbin (Ill.) said the Democratic Caucus wants to be as cautious as the administration but wondered whether that kind of vague warning would only “create more fear and anxiety.”

“I think we have to caution the administration to be careful,” Durbin said. “They can only do this so many times before they lose their credibility.”

He said he’s been peppered with questions from constituents who wanted to know what precautions to take, but all he could tell them was to go on with their lives while remaining vigilant.

“When these warnings are given, the people we represent don’t know what to do,” Durbin said.

Republicans were much less critical of Ridge when he briefed their caucus, with Sen. John McCain (Ariz.) describing their reception of Ridge as “cordial, loving, affectionate.”

Speaking to reporters after the lunches, Ridge admitted that senators of both parties had cautioned him against repeated warnings of new terrorist attacks, which they compared to the “little boy who cried wolf” example.

Ridge said the administration was walking a tightrope on what information to release to the public, but said, “It is very important, I think, at this juncture to continue to raise the level of awareness.”

If even one security guard at a shopping mall pays extra attention to a suspicious package because of the warning, Ridge said, the warning would be justified.

Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle (D-S.D.) was less critical, saying the administration was in a “very understandable dilemma.”

To avoid leaks or misunderstandings, Daschle said, the administration made a choice that had “some downsides.” But he added, “Under these circumstances I really don’t know that they could have made any other choice.”

Sen. Tom Harkin (D-Iowa) said he was ambivalent about the warning. “It serves a purpose and I’m not really quarreling about it. It serves a notice to the terrorists. On the other hand, it’s frustrating not to know why we’re on alert. You can only do that so many times before people become rather blasé about it.”

Democrats have also complained that the administration has given out conflicting information about the terrorist attacks since Sept. 11.

Dodd said Democrats expressed the desire for Ridge to coordinate the various agencies on counterterrorism but also to provide a single voice for the administration. “There’s a lot of noise and not a lot of clarity,” Dodd said.

“He’ll go back with a stronger sense that people are disappointed about how this is being managed,” Dodd said of Ridge.

Dodd advised Ridge to emulate Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, who often appears at press conferences with several experts who can bolster his message.

Comment

• I wonder if the Ledra Palace is still open?
            We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
            If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
            Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lincoln

What subs were you on? I served on the Char, the Ronquil and the Permit from 66 to 69.
              Sorry did not serve on Subs, I just help build some (662-665-666-672-and 677) and overhaul alot of them. The first two you listed I do not recognize however the Permit I do. The Permit was built before I started on the Yard but I did work on just about every overhaule on the Permit and Plunger. You guys had an Officer name Lt. Lemon I belived. It was your boat that the Capt. did not come back right?

Comment

• Lincoln, the diffrerence is in specifics. Now the Administration is saying stuff like, there might be a terrorist attack this weekend, but not saying anything else. All that does is hieghten fears without giving anyone any ability to protect themselves. However, it also causes people to cling more tightly to the authoritarian measures the government has been pursuing.

On the other hand, there was knowledge that some of bin Laden's people had planned to use planes as missiles, there was knowledge that bin Laden's people were planning a hijacking, and there was knowledge that people connected to bin Laden were taking flight school training. Perhaps if the Bush Admiistration hadn't ordered the FBI and CIA to stop investigating the Saudis . . . maybe at least 3,000 more people would be alive today, and the world wouldn't be standing at the brink of nuclear annihilation because of war between India and Pakistan.
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Is the finger-pointing orgy over with yet?

Because if it is, I have a very specific finger I want to show all those idiots over there in the Capital.

Comment

Working...
                  X