Communism's Greatest Crimes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DinoDoc
    Guy, why do you insist on quoting Sava? Some of us have him on our ignore lists.
    Doh! My most sincere apologies, my "conservative" friend.
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

The good thing on such threads is, you could post post nearly the same stuff in all of them, you only need to replace the keywords...
      Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Sava

True, but the difference is, everyone's life was short in Communism.
        Actually, in communist Cuba healthcare has been vastly improved. Gone is the Batista "Universal Healthcare for the Top 1%". Cuba has made a progressive commitment to an improved standard of living not only in Cuba, but throughout the developing world. Havana has spent billions on improving rural infastructure: water supply, electricity, sanitation, education and healthcare. Cuba has trained tens of thousands of doctors and is genorous enough to share them with the rest of the world. Contrary to the Batista government that spent all its money making Havana an attractive and fun place for elite Cubans and foreigners, the Castro government has spent its money improving the lives of the people in rural areas, away from the spotlight - where it counts.

Comment

... and a lot of it is propaganda .

While I don't doubt Cuba has done good things, it isn't the 1st world healthcare paradise that people explain it to be. People that go to Cuba really don't leave it thinking it is anything but a developing nation.

Read PJ O'Rourke's "Eat the Rich" chapter on Cuba for more insight.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Re: Communism's Greatest Crimes

Originally posted by DinoDoc
            A little something for your friendly neighborhood Apolyton Evil, Capitalist Conservative Party.

wrong on all accounts. as usual.

Comment

I'm not so sure that Stalin killed more people than Hitler. Stalin killed somewhere in the 10-20 million range. Hitler killed six million Jews, and anothe for million gypsies, Russians, and other "undesirables" in the camps. But he also killed millions of civillians throughout Europe either as "examples" or just for the heck of it. IIRC, something like 25% of the population of Greece was killed in the war; Serbs, Poles, Ukrainians and others suffered as well. Certainly Stalin didn't kill twice as many.

Comment

And, let's not forget the war deaths. 50 million people died as a result of that war, and that's just Europe. If we include the death camps and the USSR war deaths alone, we have between 30 and 40 million dead.

The absolutely most exagerated numbers of Stalin's victims is put at 30 million. Add in 27 million war dead, and the USSR simply could not have continued to exist. A full 1/3rd of it's population would have been destroyed.

The only reputable study has put Stalin's victims at between 800,000 and 900,000, not including the collectivisation famine victims. It is still a crime of monstrous proportions, but it is not on the level of fascism.
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                  And, let's not forget the war deaths. 50 million people died as a result of that war, and that's just Europe. If we include the death camps and the USSR war deaths alone, we have between 30 and 40 million dead.
                  If we added war deathes though, we'd have to add the victims of the Winter War with Finland to Stalin's total.
                  The absolutely most exagerated numbers of Stalin's victims is put at 30 million. Add in 27 million war dead, and the USSR simply could not have continued to exist.
                  Other countries also lost large fractions of their populations yet continued to exist. Poland, for example, lost about 20% of its population, and several Balkan countries did as well, IIRC.
                  A full 1/3rd of it's population would have been destroyed.
                  So you think that the population of the USSR during the 1930s was 180 million? I'm not saying it's wrong, but I thought it was higher than that.
                  The only reputable study has put Stalin's victims at between 800,000 and 900,000, not including the collectivisation famine victims. It is still a crime of monstrous proportions, but it is not on the level of fascism.
                  If by reputable we mean marxist.

Comment

I mean the only one that went and looked at the records. The NKVD did keep track of the people it was killing.
                    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                      I mean the only one that went and looked at the records. The NKVD did keep track of the people it was killing.
                      I admit that I haven't done enough reading to argue this further intelligently, except to say that generally accepted historical opinion places the total number of Stalin's victims much higher. Could we discuss some of the other points I made there?

Comment

he only reputable study has put Stalin's victims at between 800,000 and 900,000, not including the collectivisation famine victims. It is still a crime of monstrous proportions, but it is not on the level of fascism.
                        Acording to the most recent source I've looked at (Modern European History: 1890-1990), in 1937-38 they were shooting 1000 people a day in Moscow alone. It goes on to say that up to 12 million people may have been shot or died in the labour camps. Collectivisation-induced famine killed another ten million, meaning tat between your figures and mine, the death toll would be anywhere between 11 million and 22 million.

Comment

It's a tough choice, but I'm going with Great Leap Forward for the sheer numbers of deaths. It's now thought perhaps 30 million died needlessly during this, the worst famine in the world's history. The obscenity of millions dropping dead of starvation while grain bins were full has to be among the greatest crimes in the history of man.

The Cultural Revolution was far more damaging in terms of loss of property and irreplacable cultural treasures, but at least not as many people died.
                          Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

Comment

To all pro-nazi bastards,
                            Everyone who think that nazism is better then Stalinism is an idiot, everyone who think that nazism is better then communism is ten times more stuipid idiot.

You are still unable to understand the difference between Nazism and Stalinsm. Both of those regimes were evil, BUT for Stalin mass murders of people was a TOOL, a tool for spreading (not unhuman by it's nature) communist ideology, a tool for staying in power. For Hitler mass murders of people was a GOAL. The goal of his ideology- nazism.

Comment

haven't heard of any communism's crimes that is.
                              All that was done wrong is a fault of those that lost communism's principles of they eyes.
                              "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                              I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                              Middle East!

Comment

To all pro-nazi bastards (part 2),
                                Your ati-communism hate makes you a blind idiots. In your hate, you deny any logical thinking and ready to say that the most terrible and unhuman ideologies like Nazism were better then communism, only because you hate communism so much.
                                Yes, I'm agreed with Heresson there was no communism's crimes at all, because all so-called communist's governments betrayed the principles of communistic ideology and turned to tyrany. But even those tyranies like Stalinism were much more 'human' then Nazism. You deny it because you hate communism.
                                Who do you think you are? Are you much more wise then Churchill or Roosvelt? Were is your logic? Or may be you think that leaders of your countries were an idiots who made a wrong choise. If Stalinism were worse then Nazism then why your countries allied with communist in war against nazism?

May be because Nazism was much more terrible and unhuman ideology or may be you think your countries made a wrong choise?

P.S. Damn, I'm sound like a commi.

Comment

Working...
                                X